www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:11 pm 

Welcome PaddedFanny, and yes.... we've all been there. Sorry for your experience but hopefully you're feeling better!

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:01 pm 

Thanks to everybody for the welcome and the comments! - PaddedFanny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:35 pm 

Similar to Patrick, initially due to all that pain I had following my car crash, I had to suck it up and I just wanted relief for the pain in my genitals, back, spasms and so on.
Dealing with the urology felt quite humiliating and painful though I tried to push through it. And it has left me with some nasty set of flashbacks now as I recall the procedures and embarrassment I suffered.
And especially the pain.

After many months and year or so, I became quite relieved that all I have is some continence issues and wear diapers.
I am both embarrassed yet comforted with wearing diapers. While it has posed some challenges in planning, diapers have simultaneously offered sense of relief and saved me from having to deal with poorly maintained restrooms at least. Lol.
I consider it a thicker and more supportive underwear.
I do still very much hate dealing with urologists and urology issues particularly spasms and pain....
They are far more of a pain and ruder than dentists in many ways.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:50 pm 

I can second that! I've met way too many urologists who simply did not care about me, my needs, or how I felt. And I've been through a dozen urodynamics test which all where uncomfortable at a minimum or painful at the most.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:35 pm 

While we're on the subject of rude urologists, my last urologist sent a nurse into my exam room, who chewed me out for wearing diapers instead of using an external catheter, then she left. Three hours later the lights started going out; the staff were closing the office, with me still in the exam room, wearing about what you'd expect to wear for such an appointment. My wife accosted the secretary and told her that I was still somewhere in a back room. The doctor had already gone home, so I was sent home with an appointment for the following week, and a script for instructions to be taught how to apply a condom catheter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:45 pm 

The nurse “chewing you out” was inappropriate. Leaving you in the exam room was inappropriate also. You should bring this to the attentions of the doctor the next time you see him/her. You deserve good care, it is your right. Sometime you must stand up for your rights. Remember when you complain, you should do it in a professional manor.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:34 pm 

@RetiredRN: Couldn't agree more!!!

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:51 am 

No, I did not complain, because that doctor retired two weeks later. Live and learn.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:22 pm 

Am I embarrassed to wear? Yes and no. It depends on the situation. I have opened up about my incontinence to several freinds on FB, some I know in real life, some not. All have been supportive. I find the more i talk about it the easier it gets to talk about. I have adjusted to the reality of needing protection to the point of being ambivelent whether I get out of them, but I am still embarassed at the idea of people I don't know well finding out. My parents get embarassed when i talk about certian details. In one sense, they are more embarassed about it than I am. Mom is still conviced that I can be outright cured, or in her words, fixed. I used to have that hope, but lately it has dimished to the point of extremely cautious optimism bordering on indifferentness and ambivalence.

Peace out!

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:45 am 

I can echo you sociologygeek,
Over the last 12 years or so I have become more comfortable in my own skin, but if someone were to find out I would be mortified.
The only people who know outside of my general doctor and my urologist is my wife and her mother (and she wasn't pleased I told her mother). My wife feels it is no one else's business, even within the family, so it causes some anxiety when I am visiting my in laws and have to sneak around to change and hide my dirty diapers, etc. I am sure they would be supportive if they knew (they might already for all I know), but I am embarassed to test those waters, especially when my wife doesn't want me to.

That being said, my wife is extremely supportive, has been with me on multiple drug therapies, discussion of surgeries and intersims etc. she knows why I have come to the conclusion that diapers are the best management. It doesn't hurt that she also has OAB dry, and can somewhat empathize with me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next