www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:46 pm 

MikePNW, never apologize for being long winded...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:10 pm 

In the beginning I was rather embarrassed to buy them, but modern diapers are rather discreet, so I doubt no one has noticed. I'm not ashamed to wear, but haven't told but one of my friends. Many others know I have medication for OAB, but being only 20+ I don't feel too confident about telling all my friends. Many of my friends have other taboo ailments, so I doubt they'd be too shocked about learning of my diapers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:47 pm 

Yes, I am still emberrased but is a necessary evil.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:23 am 

Hi Trufitgirl,
Welcome to the group!
I can definitely relate to what you are saying! I too, have a prolapsed bladder, which is causing my incontinence and I am diapered 24/7.
I understand about feeling ashamed and embarrassed, as I have been through this.
But, as others have mentioned, it does get easier over time and you will adjust; I have!
Have your doctors' offered any treatment? I was having physio therapy, but was unable to do the kegel exercises,
so maybe these may work for you!
Now, I just take one day at a time, wear the protection and trust in them, to do their job.
I wish you all the best.

aurora borealis

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:32 pm 

New to the forum - Hello to all reading this. When my infrequent "accidents" started happening, I just figured it was old age slip ups. The big event happened while my wife and I were at a nice restaurant. We had eaten, paid the bill and were leaving when I felt the wetness. I looked down and my pants were soaked. We tried to hurry out the door. As we went through the lobby area, I heard a small child call out "Look that man peed his pants." That's the most humiliated I have ever felt. I bought a package of disposables and I started wearing diapers the next day. I wore them whenever I went out. If I had a doctors visit. I would change to my underwear at the office and back into the diaper when I left. The potential embarrassment was better than the actual embarrassment.

Seven months ago I had a heart attack. I was told it was nip and tuck on me making it. Fortunately I'm still here. I was home alone when it happened. I was in severe pain and waiting for help. I still managed to change out of the diaper and into regular underwear.

The aftermath is I told my primary care doctor what had been going on for two years. She did a prostate check and sent me to a urologist and everything potentially major checked out negative. As my incontinence is infrequent, I don't need surgery and I refuse a catheter. I'm still on tons of medication from the heart attack along with my diabetes meds. I wear diapers both cloth and disposable 24/7 my choice. Letting the doctors know has calmed the embarrassment down. After three years that particular stress is gone.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:19 pm 

Welcome to the forum, PaddedFanny. I'm sorry about your wetting accident and your heart attack. It must have been very frightening to have been alone. I have Diabetes, too, and I had a heart attack in 2014. I have a stent in my groin, and I get by quite well. I also had a stroke a few years earlier. I hate catheters, too, and I'm glad that you are comfortable wearing diapers, and that telling your doctors has been a stress reliever for you.

W.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:28 am 

Yes, at first I was embarrassed, that I needed to wear a diaper, but now I am not.
I think the potential embarrassment of having an accident with the accompanying wet / soaked pants if I'm not wearing a diaper, to me is more embarrassed. and trust me, I have been there, being out with pee running down my legs and completely soaked pants.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:53 am 

Like others have said I was very embarrassed all the time, disposal of said wet pads is always a ongoing challenge. However I really don't care anymore, due to my job it's nigh on impossible to tell I wear protection as I have to wear chainsaw trousers which are incredibly thick, and they are held up by suspenders and are black so literally impossible to notice the wet "diaper bulge". Me and the wife try and keep it light hearted and she really doesn't care and I treat them like normal underwear most the time. I have a problem, I have to deal with it as best I can as a catheter really doesn't work for my lifestyle which I have tried, so wearing diapers is the only real answer.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:36 pm 

jms wrote:
Yes, at first I was embarrassed, that I needed to wear a diaper, but now I am not.
I think the potential embarrassment of having an accident with the accompanying wet / soaked pants if I'm not wearing a diaper, to me is more embarrassed. and trust me, I have been there, being out with pee running down my legs and completely soaked pants.

This exactly.

I've also learned that a thick diaper is way less noticeable, and nowhere near as embarrassing, than a thin one that has leaked.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:48 pm 

Welcome PaddedFanny,

I like your "handle." :D That was quite a story about the accident at the restaurant. :(

As you mentioned wearing both cloth and disposables you seem to be progressing well along the diaper learning curve and coping well.

--John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next