www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:19 pm 

I'm newly incontinent. I have a prolapsed bladder and am in diapers. I feel ashamed and embarrassed. Can anyone relate?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:13 am 

Absolutely! I try to fight it as best as I can though, understanding that they are a far bigger help than a harm.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:41 am 

Hi Trufirhirl

Welcome to the group, you have found a great site for support and advice in dealing with IC issues, and yes we can all relate to the embaressed and ashamed feelings you are going through as some one new to IC issues.

Remember you are not alone in having to deal with Ic issues and wearing diapers, it will get easier and the feelings you are currently having will go away over time as you ajust to being in diapers and random wettings. Eventualy you will not react to a blader release and you will learn to trust your diaper to do its job even when standing in s group of people.

I wear dry 24/7's and I have learned to trust them to do their job when my blader releases, it's takes a while but I now just carry on like nothing happened and I do not worry about it.

Ask any questions you may have and some one will probably have an answer but we can not replace a doctor for medical advice.

Sorry you have to deal with a bladder issue but remember it realy gets easier to deal with over time and when you have accepted diapers are a nesessity.

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:40 am 

Tryfitgirl,
Welcome to the forum. I couldn't agree with Rob more. It is a hard thing to adjust to but you will. For me now I try to laugh as much as I can , but of course make sure my protection is on to cover the rain that I can no longer control. Just because one person doesn't like a style of diaper, doesn't mean it isn't the protection for you. The fit is one of the most important parts. But if you over protect it will cut down your chances of having a accident. There is a wealth of knowledge here and it will help cut down time to get the right protect, so you can get back there. Don't let IC slow you down, just have the right protection on when the rain comes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:02 am 

Welcome to the group. I guess most everyone goes through an acceptance phase of wearing diapers n the beginning. The good news is the faster you make adjustment and accept your handicap the better off you will be. It's NOT easy to wrap your mind around everything at once, and certain things will take tame to adjust since wearing diapers means doing some things differently, or at least planning ahead for things you probably didn't gave much thought to until recently such as using a public restroom...., now you will most likely use this facility for diaper changing. The best advise I can offer in the beginning is find the type protection that works the best for you so you have confidence about going about your daily activities in a normal manner. Just take each day one step at a time and don't let your new disability hold you back from any previous active you did before you started wearing diapers all the time.

What does your doc tell you? Will the use of any meds help?

Hope this helps. Be positive,...think positive, one step at a time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:35 am 

Welcome to the forum.

In addition to the psychological trauma of suddenly having to deal with incontinence, there is the steep learning curve involved in successful management. You will need to remember to pack along a gym/diaper bag with a change of clothing and changing supplies every time you leave the house. Learning the locations of all the handicapped restrooms in your usual haunts, including a working knowledge of which ones are likely to be clean, and keeping a running ETA to the nearest one at all times eventually becomes second nature, but it takes time. Read the Primer, here, and peruse past posts for those which are relevant to your situation. Good luck and keep us informed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:57 am 

Hi trufitgirl1221

Welcome here I can relate to your sence of embarrisment I too felt this way at the start there is actually nothing to be embarrassed about though. One you settle on the protection that works then the world is a lot better place look at the primer link below it has great advice especially around hygiene. The turning point for me was the day I got rid of my old underwear and put my diapers in the drawer instead. My only advice would be to go all in at the start as this helped me with acceptance. I am so much more happy now that I have settled into a routine and can live life to the full. I hope you too will find this point soon.

http://www.incontinentsupport.org/primer_index.php

Greenbank

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:11 pm 

Yeah, we probably all were embarrassed at first, so you're in good company. It does take a while, but you will learn it isn't that big of a deal after all. I've even learned to embrace it and be open about it as well (though I obviously do still try and keep the fact I need diapers low key or hidden if possible).

Take the tips of everyone here serious too. Get better diapers than you need at first, then slowly see how much you can cut back on (cost, thickness, plastic vs cloth like vs pullup, etc). Also keep a couple of spare diapers and a change of clothes in an bag and leave it in your car.

I'd also recommend searching the forums here or just browse through them. There are a LOT more tips and helpful tricks here which will help you even more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:45 pm 

greenbank wrote:
Hi trufitgirl1221

Welcome here I can relate to your sence of embarrisment I too felt this way at the start there is actually nothing to be embarrassed about though. One you settle on the protection that works then the world is a lot better place look at the primer link below it has great advice especially around hygiene. The turning point for me was the day I got rid of my old underwear and put my diapers in the drawer instead. My only advice would be to go all in at the start as this helped me with acceptance. I am so much more happy now that I have settled into a routine and can live life to the full. I hope you too will find this point soon.

http://www.incontinentsupport.org/primer_index.php

Greenbank

Edit : Nevermind!

Last edited by matthewmeto on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:45 pm 

Welcome Trufitgirl!

We all began with the same emotions you are experiencing, but it gets better as time goes by.

I can say that I no longer am ashamed of a medical condition over which I have no control. Nonetheless, do I feel embarrassed over an accident in public? Definitely, but it is not so devastating as it once was.

--John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next