www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:31 pm 

Well said Ellyn. I find myself taking my notepad into every meeting now. Whether I use it or not. Often it will just test in my lap.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:44 am 
Admin

I get a lot of moderate leaks throughout the day. My bladder generally doesn’t hold enough to flood. I am not overly embarrassed to wear diapers. I don’t wear things like black jeans, or onesies, or extra long T-shirt’s. I just wear whatever is comfortable. I have been bladder and bowel incontinent for over 12 years. My incontinence started while I was in the military and I did wear diapers under my military uniform until I was separated due to medical reasons. A couple of my coworkers did find out because they visited me while I was in the hospital. It was no big deal. They didn’t tell anyone. Lately, I have been wearing megamax with a booster pad. It is a bulky situation. I wet very heavily and have heavy bowel incontinence throughout the day with very little control. I generally wear things like board shorts or athletic style shorts and lightweight T-shirt’s because they’re cooler and I have trouble regulating my body temperature. I’d imagine you may be able to tell under my clothes. I’m not embarrassed though. It’s just a medical condition. Who cares? Nobody has ever asked. If anyone did, I would probably explain to them if they were nice about it. It took me a long time to get this way. I’ve had a lot of therapy for dealing with my multitude of health problems. My incontinence comes up with my doctors all the time. It doesn’t phase me anymore. I just carry on and try to live as best I can.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:27 am 

Hi All

I have been living with incontinence for ages and this condition sucks, wearing diapers sucks and the constant changes are tiresome however this is how my life has turned out and I have had to accept it not been easy though. Daily doses of vitamin c for odour reduction combined with diapers/waterproof cover is the only way that I can live a full and as active a live as possible. Every time I wet I feel a bit embarrassed that I do and just sigh and move on. Lucky I have found a solution that works for me with diapers and have a wardrobe of clothes to hide as much as possible. I have also changed the way I do tasks so as to limit anything embarrassing for example I now squat down to pick up items. I am determined that Incontinence will not ruin my life!

One thing that is great though is looking at this thread the love and support that is available is quite overwhelming and is invaluable as if I have been wrapped in a warm cosy blanket!

I think you are all wonderful caring people who are on the same journey. Lastly thank you to those who administer this place one of my first ports of call when I feel low!

Lots of love to everyone here.

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:16 am 

I have been in diapers for over 11 years, with double incontinence. I am diabetic and between the nerve damage and meds i take has caused this. I was also very embarrassed about this and instead of using diapers I would stuff my underpants with toilet paper and hope for the best. I finally got to the point of realizing i needed diapers and went to a medical supply store to buy diapers. I would wait and look around the store until there was nobody at the cashier and i would grab the diapers and run up to pay for them. nobody made a big deal when i bought them or even people seeing me buy diapers and booster pads. It took some time but now i am not embarrassed at all and the people in the store give me samples when they have them and after a certain amount i buy I get a 20% discount. I had one thing that happened to me a number of years ago that helped me realize the it was ok to need diapers and not embarrassed. I was in a store and had just changed my diaper. As I was walking around a young lady walked up next me around 15 years old. She said excuse me but I felt i should tell you that your diaper is showing. I had carelessly got my shirt tucked inside the diaper as I was getting changed and my diaper was very much showing above the waistline of my pants. I quickly fixed it and looked over and thanked the young lady very much. She said your welcome and said it was no problem as her Mom needed diapers too. From that time on I realized I was not the only one with this issue. From then i I stopped being embarrassed and lived my life. Have there been time my diaper has been seen by others? I am sure there has been but I don't worry about this anymore. Life is short enjoy it

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:19 am 

Not anymore after over 7 years nappies just become a way o life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:19 pm 

Absolutely, not only to wear them but to buy them. Online shopping barely existed so for many years I bought my diapers at a local drug store, big blue and white bags of Attends. Four of those would fill your shopping cart.

Like others have said, after a while it becomes your new normal and you get on with your life.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:11 am 

I agree.
My routine and schedule adapts to my need to wear diapers.
I have to plan ahead for a trip to make sure I have my supplies.
I have to think about what I am wearing if we are seeing friends and family
I have to watch my alcohol consumption.
At this point, more planning is required but I have gotten used to it.
And there will be leaks even with the best protection and preparation. I try to wear dark pants and jeans.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:36 am 

Embarrassed if people spot the outline.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:16 pm 

I'd say that those most likely to 'spot an outline' would have inside knowledge of
incontinence management techniques. That is, incontinent themselves or having
an intimate or personal relationship with another who is incontinent and uses protection.

Such people would have a degree of empathy and discretion concerning your
situation when wearing protection. In that case, understanding without embarrassment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:58 pm 

john1050 wrote:
I'd say that those most likely to 'spot an outline' would have inside knowledge of
incontinence management techniques. That is, incontinent themselves or having
an intimate or personal relationship with another who is incontinent and uses protection.

Such people would have a degree of empathy and discretion concerning your
situation when wearing protection. In that case, understanding without embarrassment.

It differs person to person for me

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next