www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:54 pm 

I currently wear abena abri-form xplus m4's, but the size is getting on the tight side and hard to put on, I tried the L4's but the large is way to big around the hips. I'm thinking of trying molicare super plus that is offered through the provider that I get my diapers from with the script that I get from my doctor that is covered from my insurance, which is through Edgepark. the Question I have is, would the molicare super plus large fit me, or would they be bigger than the abena L4's, or would the molicare super plus medium fit better?
I'm debating between https://www.edgepark.com/incontinence/b ... p/60169670 and https://www.edgepark.com/incontinence/b ... p/60169870.

The first link I googled the item# of the medium molicare super plus claims it fits 27"-56" waist, but several other websites say that its 27"-47" waist, and I read reviews that the sizing of the molicare diapers the sizing is off and you have to subtract 4-5" to determine a proper fit, and for waist size I can just barely wear size 40 pants without a belt.

last question, are these the molicares from my provider the same high quality molicares that are plastic backed?

ty for any input.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:42 am 

Tom,

The safest thing to do might be to purchase samples in the different sizes, paid for out of your pocket. You then could safely use the script covered by your insurance to order large quantities.

--John

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:39 pm 

Tom, believe it or not but a diaper is supposed to fit like a diaper, not a pair of underwear. Diaper sizing is based on your waist measurement for a reason. That extra material is needed in order to have enough material so it will be able to absorb all of your pee- especially when lying down.

Also note your waist line (near your belly button) is much higher than your hips line. Look at any real baby and you will see their diaper extends up pretty high. Often times even covering their belly button. This is how an adult diaper is also "supposed" to fit. Yes it seems way too big at first since you're used to wearing underwear, but it's like that on purpose.

Note for wearing during the day. If you're concerned about being "found out" you can always fold in and tuck the top waist band down to your hips line. This actually has the added benefit of also creating a sort of leak barrier that will help prevent leaks too.

Overall, most manufacturers design their diapers so that when sized properly it will not only extend up to your waist, but the side wings will also have a minimum 1-2 inches (or more) of overlap when taped on. The leg bands will also be snug, but not tight when taped on. Ideally you should be able to get 1-2 fingers under the leg bands without difficulty, but not much more than that. The waist band should also be snug, but not tight. Ideally you should be able to get 4 fingers under the waist band, but not your whole hand (without "sucking in your stomach" that is).

Conversely, wearing a diaper that is literally one size too small will often lead to additional problems beyond just leaking too often. An undersized diaper literally has less material needed to conform to your body without stretching. This stretching often leads to tapes that pop off a lot, and at times will even cause the back of the diaper to split open. A tight diaper will also leave marks around your legs and waist, and is dangerous this way since it also means your blood circulation is also being cut off. Lastly, a smaller or undersized diaper has less material for absorbing pee and will often leak over the top waist band instead of just the usual around your legs, and it will do so long before the back of the diaper gets wet too.

If any of this happens to someone more than once in a great while, then chances are you might be wearing a diaper that is literally one size too small (and/or not thick enough). Try switching to a larger size, and if you end up with only one complaint that it feels too big then you've got the right size diaper.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:04 pm 

Tom, I am using Edgepark for my foley supplies and have had decent luck with them. I haven't yet bought any diapers from them, however we just went to an HSA and now the diapers are covered. So I'll be starting to purchase ALL my supplies through them next time I need to order diapers. I'm ordering foley supplies 4ish times per year. I'm excited a is not having to purchase diapers out of pocket. The wife always balks at the money I spend on diapers, like its something I have control over these days.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:53 pm 

I have a 38 waist and find that I have to use a large. I use abena fixing pants to help them stay in position. The mediums give me bad rashes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:03 am 

Thanks for the replies, I ended up ordering a sample of the large molicare super plus from xpmedical, and see how those fit. The abena L4s fit around my waist just fine, but I have problems with the tapes on the hips to fit snug. I have a potbelly from the weight I gained from not being physically active because of my health problems prevent me from doing so, and it seems like my hips are quite smaller than my waist size.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:01 am 

Hi

I wear Molicare Premium Soft Super Plus Large I have a 36" waist and the fit is great with room when my waist goes up at Christmas. I hope you find Molicare as great as I do. All the best with the sample I went down this path and I was so glad I did as went from a Medium to a Large.

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:05 am 

Hi Tom,
Its kind of like buying a car, John stated earlier get samples, not one but a couple. You have to wear them a couple of time to see if the fit is good, comfort is so important and it has the ability to keep you dry. For me I have sample most that have the capacity to handle the load I put on them. Some fit good but great is what you are looking for.