www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to Disposables.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:53 am 

Hi All, I sat down last night and spent 5 hours getting lost in the disposable diaper jungle. I need some help. I'm very familiar with cloth diapers due to night time issues and am using them for daytime now. But there are times a disposable would make much more sense. I realize that I'm stirring up a hornets nest with the seasoned posters as I've read ALL the previous posts. Sorry.

I'm currently experiencing OAB and Urge problems. When I'm at home there's no problem as I can just go to the bathroom quickly. When I'm out and away from the bathroom I'm in trouble though. What happens is when the need to go hits, I don't have time to make it to the restroom before the pressure overcomes my ability to hold back and I sort of squirt a couple times. It is enough to make a wet spot in my underwear about the size of my fist. If I don't get to the restroom quickly this will happen again and I'll have a small flood about 4 oz./ 200ml. This enough to make noticeable wet spot on my pants, EEK!

So what do I need? I see there is about 3/4 broad categories. I won't consider light. So that leaves me with the "Level 3" and the "Level 4" categories. I like the diaper over pull ups from a changing standpoint of being out in the public if needed. It just seems to make more sense. I would also prefer a plastic backed diaper. I just don't trust the cloth backed from what I've read from other posters. From what I'm seeing on the board, there a lot here that feel that anything less than the premium
2 dollar diaper (more or less) is all there really is. I guess I'm having a hard time biting that price bullet. So, considering my problems above, is a level 3 diaper sufficient? I would think it would usually need maybe 16 oz./500ml. more or less capacity. Will it get too uncomfortable? I would be wearing these for around 6 hours while I'm out. I'm active so is that a consideration?

So, considering all this, what are you seasoned veterans wearing and what would you suggest for me? Yes I'll be getting samples but I don't want to waste money on the junk. You folks probably know which ones those are.

Also is there a possibility that a diaper peer review could be set up on this site? Sort of a 0 to 10 kind of thing with a short foot note by the poster? Maybe a light, medium, heavy category? Like I mentioned I've read for literally hours on all this and haven't gotten very far. I think review topic really help other newbies like me a lot.

Thanks again for your comments, Ted

Post subject: Re: New to Disposables.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:02 pm 

I wear washables and plastic pants when I'm at home and when I'm traveling on familiar haunts. When I travel farther I use Molicare and Abena; others here like Dry 24/7, though I have not tried them. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:27 pm 

Hi Ted

I use dry 24/7's as my 24/7 diaper
They are comfortable and absorbant and fit me better then the Abenas, I like the fact they are plastic backed.

Try a few samples of Abena and dry 24/7's and a few others it takes a while to find the best fit diaper. Abenas are cut a bit smaller then the dry 24/7's

i also find the dry 24/7's feel dryer when wet then the Abena airs. Also I found the cloth backed dippers felt damp to the touch on the outside.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:19 am 

Hi Ted

The whole Disposables is a minefield for me I wear Molicare Premium Soft Super Plus, Compression/Stretch Brief to hold the diaper close and snug, terry brief for leak/sweat protection and a waterproof cover at the moment Molicare Spartan.

Before you make a final choice manufactures are happy to send out samples and this has helped me a lot.

I hope this helps!

Greenbank

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:29 pm 

You definitely need to try a bunch of different ones before you find what you like and what works for you. Sounds like your daytime issues are relatively light. A mid level diaper may work for you. Abena
L-2 or L-3 Tena Ultra or Tena super, Molicare super plus are ones I'm familiar with personally. I've had great luck with Tena in particular. But you may find you hate them. It's impossible to tell what one person raves about. Another may hate. Attends Breathable "extra absorbent" are pretty good too. Some people believe the quality of Attends has gone down. I don't know I haven't been wearing them for all that long. I'm new to incontinence since February 2014 and I've been feeling my way around this condition ever since. My problems aren't heavy enough to consider cloth so I'm going to stick with disposables.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:35 pm 

Hi everyone, Thank you again. I really appreciate your comments. I'm really feeling overwhelmed in this new chapter in my life. Your input helps me face up to this and keeps me going. Also yes, I've made an appointment with the doctor. I'm just not too optimistic there will be much he can do considering this has been going on for almost twenty years.

I purchased some 24/7 diapers in med. and large. I got these for night time use. I've had nighttime problems for years and have stayed away from disposables for my enuresis. Now that I'm embracing the problem I want to get out and enjoy life away from home. (the hell with everybody this MY problem not theirs). This being said I still want to be considerate of others and stay as discrete as possible. That kind of rules out cloth at times. I'm going to try the 24/7's for 3 nights at home and go from there.

My newly acquired daytime wetting issues come from a sudden overwhelming urgency to relieve myself. This is why I've decided to confront the whole wetting problem once and for all. It's a battle between my bladder trying to empty and the ability of my muscle strength to keep the pressure in. I usually end up kind of squirting three or four times till the pressure is decreased to where I can overcome my bladder contractions. This will happen several times over a few minutes till my bladder finally seems to be relieved or maybe empty. Then I won't not have any problems for a while. This cycle repeats itself over and over several times a day. The other part of the problem is I never know when the next cycle is going to start. Maybe two hours or maybe thirty minutes. Trying to go anywhere is a crapshoot if I'm not diapered. I bought some Absorbency + level 3 diapers thinking they will be heavy enough to contain maybe 10 or 12 ounces. I'm hoping to be able to wear them for 5 or 6 hours at most. For the time being I bought some Bkins low rider plastic pants. I'm going to wear a trainer type cloth brief between the diaper and the plastic pants. I'm hoping to do something like an experiment. With this combination I'm thinking I can learn when the diaper will fail without having an accident out in public. This will probably be a bit bulky but like I said, if someone has a problem with it so what.

I really have no idea how much any disposable holds. Also I don't have a really accurate idea as to how much I'm wetting. I can't see myself weighing a wet diaper so I can tell (maybe I should though). All I can say is it's enough that I'd soak my pants within a few minutes if I weren't wearing a diaper.

If any of this sounds familiar I'd really appreciate hearing your thoughts and how you manage your condition. thanks, Ted

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:49 pm 
Admin

I second the thought of ordering samples from suppliers, there are quite a few that do send out, either if you request via email, or on there websites. It will save you buying entire bags at a time, and possibly not fitting well enough, or not enough capacity. Tena, Abena, Molicare are in my inventory, along with external catheters, and I also suffer from urgency and enuresis, so know you are not alone! Welcome! Puffy