www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:05 pm 

Hi all,

First of all I would like to thank all people for this great forum. It helps me a lot.I have "intermittend incontinence" as the doctor calls it, meaning one day is fine, the other day is not so great. It comes and goes all the time. The challange I have is that I need good protection during the night ( in case it goes wrong) , but I do not need it every night. The (nice) consequence of this all is that on a regular basis my protection is dry in the morning. I do find it though a challange to find the right protection. Good incontinence material has in geneal those sticky tapes which you can use only once. I would like to have some material which you can open and close multiple times. How do other forum members handle this? Any suggestions?
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:26 pm 

Welcome. Glad you found us.

P.S. the word you're looking for is intermittent.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:44 pm 

Bob,

Any chance of cutting the tabs away from where they are attached to the back of the diaper? My line of thinking is by just cutting around the sticky part of the tab, you can use athletic tape for another night. Granted you might only get two nights out of this, but worth a try.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:17 pm 

Welcome Bob!

Re tapes, while most "manufacturers advertise that their tapes are refastenable," that may statement may be optimistic. Yes, you usually can refasten tapes, but then they usually are not so firmly attached as with the original base tape. :( The best option, IMHO, for refastening tapes is with premium diapers that have a plastic landing zone across the front.

Why do you need the refastenable feature? Is it to pee in the toilet or for a BM? You usually can pee by pulling your penis under a leg gather. For a BM, do not remove the tapes, just slide the entire taped diaper down and pull it back up when done.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:03 pm 

Tena Classic and Attends Breathables are cloth backed diapers with "Velcro like" tapes. They're refastenable a bunch of times. I make the toilet, I just leak for a while afterwards, so these work great for me. I dont flood them so I very rarely have any leaking outside the diaper........they're both decent diapers for moderate incontinence.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:08 pm 

I will sometimes use my diapers for two nights. This only works for premium diapers. I have done it with dry 24/7 and the xp brand. Badicly I diaper normally the first night. In the morning I take them off like underwear. I put them back on like underwear the next night. I then add a landing zone of duct tape. Next to each tape. I retape the tapes onto the landing zone and secure them with more tapes and top. That is the only time I un tape them. I started doing this after dry nights to cut the cost of supplies down. The absorbency seems to stay good and they can still handle multiple wettings.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:22 am 

It's best not to reuse a diaper as it never realy fits again properly the second time, when I first started to have issues with my OAB most nights were dry but as time went on the number of wet nights grew.

Wesring a fresh diaper every night is better for the just incase and hygiene don't look at the dry diaper as a waste look at it as a good night with no wettings.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:15 am 

Chipmunk,

Although you are trying to reduce costs, don't reuse that diaper if you have wetted in it - even a small amount. The bacteria will continue to multiply even after you take the diaper off. By reusing it the next day you increase the chances of a urinary track infection. :(

--John

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:54 pm 

I only reuse completely dry ones

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:52 pm 

I suggest you consider cloth. If dry, fold 'em up and save for reuse. The pins will always work a second time. If wet, rinse off in the shower, and add to the laundry pile.