www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:21 pm 

I'm almost a quarter of the way through the case of 24/7 I ordered, and I have to say that considering the reviews I'd read, I'm kind of disappointed.

I had been using Abena L4s, but the price I was getting then at wasn't available, and the clumping and pin holes was driving me nuts; so I decided to give the confidry 24/7 a try.

The dry 24/7 construction quality is great. Great backing, good tapes, very little clumping even when wet. They also fit me very well around the legs. However, this legendary absorbency I heard about ... I don't see it, at all. I would say it's really not more absorbent that the abena, but the acquisition rate is much worse, and their is less padding up front where I need it.

I'm a bedwetter only, and I always go in flood, but the first night of the 24/7 I woke up at 3am in a puddle (wet from my knees to my sternum). I adjusted the diaper forward on subsequent nights, to get more padding up front, and I folks the waist in to create a lip of sorts, but I still get a leak about 25% of the time. Not as bad as the first one, but enough to be uncomfortable.

I've also had a few days when I had to go after I got up, but before I changed, so I let fly, and ended up with we streaks running down my legs. The Abena always handled that too.

In any case, I'm less than impressed with the performance thus far.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:57 pm 

MSUSpartan,

Sorry to read that you have not had a good experience with the Dry 24/7. It is my main diaper and I wear it almost every night.

One difference may be that I wear it with a booster and successfully get 10 to 11 hours out of the diaper.

Like you, I flood and that is bad for any diaper. I know from when I wear my external catheter at night that I pee about 20 ounces at night. I also sleep mostly on my side, which is the most vulnerable position for any diaper. Even without the booster, the Dry 24/7 still is better than most other diapers I have tried for nighttime.

You mentioned that you woke up in a puddle. Dude, aren't you wearing plastic pants when you to to bed??? Even if your diaper leaks you should not be wetting the bed. :(

I have posted this before, but I have begun wearing a day-weight cloth diaper over the disposable. Then plastic pants on top. This system rocks! Absolutely no more wet beds and I have a happy wife. If the disposable does not leak I do not need to launder the cloth diaper. I do average a leak from the Dry 24/7 about once every 10 days, but that usually is a small leak that barely dampens the edge of the cloth diaper.

You are an experienced diaper wearer, so I am thinking of two possibilities: 1) taping angles or 2) fit. When you put the diaper on, do the internal standing leak guards and the leg gathers stay in contact with your skin?

The easiest fix might be to add a small booster pad. Although you flood, you may not leak immediately and a booster might make the difference in reducing the amount of liquid at the leak point of the diaper.

Is there any chance that you are between sizes and just go not get a good fit from the 24/7?

If you figure this out, please let us know. Our learning curve is continuous.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:27 pm 

I don't wear plastic pants over the top, I was using cloth at night in the past, and of course used plastic pants then, but I didn't find the attachment comfortable, and I didn't like the laundry.

Frankly it's too hot here in the summer, and I've reduced the nunnery if layers to the minimum I can. Using the cloth diapers last summer was miserable. Now I usually wear just the diaper, and a pair of pajama pants. The bed has a cover with a quilted top layer and a waterproof nonwoven backing, so the mattress is safe.

I never sleep on my side (I've trained myself not to), and don't move around much at night. I actually take a number of drugs for my blood pressure, some that act as diuretics, so I probably put about about 20oz at a shot, and usually thats just once a night, and I wake up with a full bladder most mornings on top of that.

I really don't think it's the fit. The fit seems good. Feels better than the Abena did. The leg gatherers definitely stay in contact with my skin, I don't know about the standing leak guards, but for the leaks at night, that's a moot point, as it seems to leak right out the waist at the top. I could add a booster across the front, but that increases the price to a point where I might as well use something else.

I'm just very frustrated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:56 am 

It takes a while to get use to but try pointing down, I use to leak every night when I pointed up, once I got use to wearing at night pointing down, and using Ducktape around my Dry 24/7 I found I leaked only once in a while.

Wity a snug fit diaper ( not to snug) and pointing down you should not leak very often unless you flood the diaper 2 quickly. Over time you your volume will decrease as your wettings increase.

Get several washable waterproof pads min 3' x 2' recommend bigger ones, that you can quickly swap put if you leak. We have a full protector under the sheets and I sleep on a pad if I leak I grab the pad go change and replace the pad with out ever wakeing my wife.

Dry 24/7's have have been the best diaper I have used and are now my main diaper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:16 am 

Guys,

I have diapered with the penis pointing both up and down. Pointing up is a good strategy for the fecal incontinent to reduce UTIs by keeping the urethra away from feces in the diaper. :oops:

In my case, I had too many leaks when diapering "up" at night, so, for bedtime, the direction always is "down." However, I do not tend to have fecal accidents at night.

Re nighttime leaks over the waist of the diaper, I had that problem and the only strategy I found to work was twofold - tape the diaper much more snugly around the waist, then reinforce the tapes so that they will not come loose.

Good luck and keep us advised.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:50 pm 

Hi, MSUSpartan. I,too, am a bedwetter, and I sometimes enhance my nighttime protection with a booster placed horizontally just above the padding of my pull-up. I wear pull-ups because I have stroke-related motor skills deficits, and diapers don't work for me. Even Abena Abri-Flex pull-ups are woefully inadequate as to the amount of absorbent padding in the front. I'm a woman and I sleep on my stomach. Wetness tends to pool under my belly, and I need a good amount of absorbent padding up front where a guy needs it. I also tend to gush and flood, as opposed to a low-velocity, steady stream, and I wake up immediately after. I usually only wet once during the night and wake up in the morning with a full bladder, but sometimes my bladder doesn't feel full in the morning, so it's likely that I wet a second time and slept through it.

I'd give boosters a try - I use Prevail pads, and they run just over $4.00 for a pack of 20. They have a slightly feminine look, though....

Wetters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:09 pm 

Wetters, what a great idea!

That should handle a wetapalooza! :D

--John

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:38 pm 

I do in fact point down fellas, so that's not the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:47 pm 

Wetters,

I was talking to a guy at a local medical store asking some questions and he mention trying the Prevail pads as a booster. I was hesitate at first as they are feminine looking. He gave me some free samples to try. They worked wonderful, but I did not like the fact is looked like I had a sock in the front of my pants. This got me thinking about the new Always Discreet line as they are very thin and does not look like I have a sock in my pants. Since using them as boosters I have not had a leaks yet. Although at 11 dollars for 32 of them they are not as cheap what you buy. Where do you buy the Prevail from and are they thick or thin?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:39 am 

Wetters wrote:
Hi, MSUSpartan. I,too, am a bedwetter, and I sometimes enhance my nighttime protection with a booster placed horizontally just above the padding of my pull-up. I wear pull-ups because I have stroke-related motor skills deficits, and diapers don't work for me. Even Abena Abri-Flex pull-ups are woefully inadequate as to the amount of absorbent padding in the front. I'm a woman and I sleep on my stomach. Wetness tends to pool under my belly, and I need a good amount of absorbent padding up front where a guy needs it. I also tend to gush and flood, as opposed to a low-velocity, steady stream, and I wake up immediately after. I usually only wet once during the night and wake up in the morning with a full bladder

Wetters

Interesting observation on the Abenas, Wetters. As you know, my situation is very similar to yours as a mobility impaired woman and that's why I recommended the Abenas to you in the first place. They are the only ones that held most or all of the massive full bladder gushing immediately upon awakening with no time to get up, when I went through that period of time, and I do move about a lot and tend to sleep on my stomach. Tranquility couldn't do it, although it was ok for day, Northshore couldn't cut it day or night, unfortunately, despite thir claims that it was more absorbent than both. I'm going through a case of Seni right now, which was very inexpensive on sale, but I don't have those severe, first thing in the morning issues any more. So far, I'd put Seni as better than Northshore, not quite as good as Tranquility or Abena, but at the moment I am having lesser issues during the day as well, and it's mostly doing what it needs to do.

Not that I am doubting your experience. Must be something about our relative size or bladder capacity because I have never needed to booster the Abena even if my bladder was pushed beyond comfortable limits, and on average days, I don't even wear plastic pants, although I will usually put a fixing pant to hold up/conceal a little better. In my own home, I don't bother.