www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:02 pm 

Ok, I went out on a limb.. and ordered 1 cloth diaper...from a company called Baby Pants.. yes, i realize they are ab/dl oriented.. but that site has the lowest price on cloth diapers that i have found.. and I can overlook the fact that the label has a baby on it.. if it works, it works.. since ive never really worn cloth all that much. maybe once or twice back in 2008 when i was first incon.. . I don't have a whole lot of expereince using cloth. The whole reason why I went out on a limb and bought one was trying out alternate cost-effective casual extended wear options. I did make a post about trying cloth back in the day, and was told that a huge downside of cloth is it does not keep the skin dry. Is this true of every fabric? Do any of you cloth users notice more skin wetness than you do with disposables? Input is appreciated..I have the diaper..but don't have the PP..that will be bought later.. I'm attempting to defray the cost of cloth experimentation by slowly building up a supply.. and i figure if i find cloth is just not for me.. the diapers will become underpads for airing out.. pp become diaper covers for my disposables :)

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:00 pm 

I use the prefold flannel diapers from Angelfluff. They too have some stuff geared for the AB/DL but most of that stuff is more expensive so I think they are making a little more of those people. The cost per diaper is very close to the site you referenced but there are a lot more choices between size and weight(how thick). I would suggest to go to their site, figure out how they want you to measure and then call them on the phone. I think I spoke to a man named Tom and he was extremely helpful. I ordered two of what he recommended and later went up one size and got like 6 of a day weight and 6 of a night weight. I also ordered them with the Velcro waist. Now when I pur them on, I get the waist snug and then fold it over to make something like a belt. Then I only need to pin the legs to finish getting it on.

Look at the premier here and you will learn a lot. Oh, I also use the Garywear PUL pants instead of the plastic pants. For me they are my h more comfortable and they are holding up great.

Hope this helps.

Rope

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:59 pm 

Good luck with your cloth diaper experiment. One factor to consider, if you live in an apartment, is that they require adequate laundry facilities. The typical apartment may or may not have a washer/dryer combination capable of the task. Also, cloth diapers require a learning curve; I had so many accidents the first few weeks I used them that I nearly gave up. The Primer is especially useful here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:27 am 

Soc, you asked about wetness. Wet diapers are wet diapers, period. Paper diapers may seem drier at times but the bottom line is that they are wet. If you wear any type of diaper you should use baby oil or powder or protecting creams depending on ones skin sensitivity. Cloth or paper diapers are simply a personal choice. It always comes down to what works, what is comfortable and what each of us feels good in. Yes, yes, some choose because of environmental reasons or because of chemicals in paper diapers. The real reasons to choose cloth diapers over paper diapers or the reverse all comes down to personal choice. Hands down cloth diapers are cheaper to use, period. Just for night use you save buying/ordering 365 diapers a year. What would that save you? (@ 1.25 for a good night paper diaper you would spend over $450.00/yr.) But cost is NOT a reason, by it self, to use cloth diapers. They HAVE to work for you and they should be more comfortable too. Also, some times disposable diapers are just more practical. Personally i prefer cloth diapers, day or night. Papa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:06 am 

Thanks for the input Papa.. im kinda "new" to being incontinent again..its been an emotional adjustment.. I was incon in 2008 and 2009.. getting dry by 2010...and then...BAM..4 yeras later this may i start wetting agian.. and it stopped wehn i started th biofeedback..for a month or two..then BAM again... i've mentally come to grips that i may not ever be rid of diapers completly.. and I'm now ok with that. I will see the urologist a few more times as a formality to see if theres something else to try, but i am reaching the point of accepting this as it is, and going on with life managing with protection. SO, with that in mind, i am open to experimenting with cloth and disposable to see what works best for me in sitiuations. I already don't lie the idea of having to wash a bunch of diapers at a time.. so it seems evident that i would only wear cloth as a cost saving extended wear option, rather than fulltime use. I tried pinning one on, and was not sure i got the right fit.. perhaps since i bought their size large based on the fact that their webiste said that after washing..mediums would fit up to 32 inch waist, and im a 36 waist currently. Papa, do you use pullp style or pin on? what fabric do you find works best?

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:29 am 

Soc, I wear pin-on. I feel i can get a tighter fit and the Velcro can come loose or make that "ripping" sound at the wrong time. Velcro can be a pain when washing and drying also. I have birds eye and gauze diapers. Gauze is IMO softer. That said, good cloth diapers are all pretty much very absorbent. Stick with the night weight mostly. It is good to have some day weight diapers for easy days around home or adding to night weight at night. Like any diapers, you have to get t know them, then trust them. Most days i wear just cloth, but disposables are also an unavoidable and convenient tool. I can not imagine what people went through before there were the choices we have today. The fetish side of diapering has also added to those choices. People must have been total lock-ins in the past. I have a hard enough time with all the modern choices, I am not sure how i could have dealt with this without them.
Speaking of the fetish side of diapers. And you seem pretty educated on the mental side of his. This site does not strike me as one that people who wear diapers for "fun" would ever bother with. Yet so many here are paranoid about them. Maybe i am just clueless but i assume everyone here is incontinent. Dealing with that alone is plenty enough. I can't see wasting time or energy on that side of diapering. Any thoughts? Are people afraid of being lured into the "dark side"? If you wear diapers because you have NO choice...is there a dark side? Too much else to worry about. Papa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:40 am 

Papa,

When I first became incontinent, in my panic I stumbled upon an AB/DL couple. They patiently led me through my early steps of dealing with this. We had a corresponding relationship; I never met them in person, but I owe them much. I guess, as fetishists go, the AB/DL crowd are harmless, and less threatening than the folks who pursue other weird hobbies. At the time I was in considerable bladder pain, so the idea that there are folks who use diapers as a hobby never occurred to me; I wanted relief, no matter where or how I got it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:09 am 

Just to add my experience on cloth, I like mine with the velcro. The ones from Angelfluff have 2 inch strips and they hols very good but like Papa mentioned washing can be a headache because the velcro can stick to each other and it ends up in a ball and not very clean. I solved this issue by buying strips of the "loop" side of the velcro to stick on the"hook" side and BOOM, problem solved.
I think when I order cloth again, I may just order the day weight because I think i can just layer them like in the premier and it will absorb just fine and I will only need one kind. The only extra thing needed would be a size larger cover to accommodate the thicker diaper but I do that now anyway.
To throw out a theory on the fetish people and why they make some uncomfortable , I don't think it is because incontinent people are worried they may be lured to the "dark side". I think as it was for me is I hate the idea that some weird-o is getting their jollies off on my situation and life. Its kind of a way of being taken advantage of. Look at it this way and I hope I don't offend anyone by this comparison. Look at someone that has been raped. They have been attacked and totally taken advantage of and have been assaulted both physically and mentally. Now there are people out there that have a rape fantasy fetish. The thought that someone may POSE as someone that has been raped just to get the details of their attack just for their own sexual gratification crosses a line that I can't even fathom anyone with any decency doing. Incontinence is along the same lines that it is wrong for another person to take pleasure, especially sexual pleasure from someone in this way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:12 pm 

Rope, as usual, you are spot-on.

Wetters

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:47 pm 

Patrick wrote:
Papa,

When I first became incontinent, in my panic I stumbled upon an AB/DL couple. They patiently led me through my early steps of dealing with this. We had a corresponding relationship; I never met them in person, but I owe them much. I guess, as fetishists go, the AB/DL crowd are harmless, and less threatening than the folks who pursue other weird hobbies. At the time I was in considerable bladder pain, so the idea that there are folks who use diapers as a hobby never occurred to me; I wanted relief, no matter where or how I got it.

That's great that you got help. There are nice people out there after all. I'm glad you got the help you needed.

On the AB/DL topic, Man! Has that been beat to death around here already. I agree with the points made about not understanding why someone would choose that. I guess it's just the way they are wired. Whatever. I've never been mugged by a thug in a diaper. Ha ha. I guess my biggest confusion is that some of them want to become incontinent. They have no idea what they are getting themselves into.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal