www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:49 am 

I personally prefer cloth-backed diapers over plastic ones. I once bought some plastic-covered/backed ones as I had no other option and I experienced discomfort from heat and problems re-adjusting the tapes as the plastic began to shred. Maybe they were of bad quality or I did not know how to use them properly. However, it was a real problem as it was difficult to got to the toilet as the tabs were not re-adjustable, or could be re-adjusted only once, which ensued in very uncomfortable situations :oops: . I was abroad then and had to experiment with a brand I did not know and was still new to the whole business of wearing. Luckily I managed to find some familiar brands and after learning the locations of public toilets in that town I had no problems. :)

I like the fact that cloth-backed diapers breathe, are very discreet and do not crinkle, but as I luckily am not a very heavy wetter nor have accidents on a regular basis, I don't need the extra protection offered by PBs. Personally I've liked Molicare's and Tena's Slips the best, but I don't know if people disagree. I guess it's a matter of preference and suiting your needs.

Oh, and merry May Day, (May 1st) to all of you who celebrate it!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:23 pm 

Uerkative, yeah it sounds like you just had some really bad diapers. Most any of the good brands are designed to be refastened at least once (with a second blue layer on the tape that is intended to stay stuck on when you separate the white portion of the tape for readjusting). Keep in mind that plastic backed diapers are intended for moderate to heavy incontinence too, so if you're only a light wetter then they wouldn't really be a good choice for you any ways.

If you ever do find you need to use plastic backed diapers again then I would highly recommend either molicare supers, or id slip. Both of which may still be available in finland.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:20 pm 

Hi B Brian! Thanks for the advice, ID Slips are available here at least in one healthcare-shop: I checked different retailers a few weeks ago and noticed them as a new item in their selection. Idk about Molicare Super's availability. Molicare's "Soft" series are available, but I am not sure whether the stronger absorbencies have plastic backings. In case my condition gets worse (which would be unexpected), I'd have to check that out, too.

I stick to Tena Slip mostly whenever I need to resupply (which isn't really that often) as I recently found a very affordable retailer located in my home-town! It was a real surprise.

I agree with your opinion on the diapers I wrote about. They seemed to suck big time, but they were on the cheaper side of the spectrum.
I am aware they were not the best option for me, but were the only ones available. Would've probably been better without them... :roll: :? But again, thanks for your insight. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:21 am 

I have been using the tena slip ultima for night time use. Thought I would give them a try, so far not really any problem with leaking too much. The main issue is the tapes can be a bit awful and if you try to retape them just don't bother as I found out one night when i woke up to it being completely undone on one side which also meant my bed was soaking much to my annoyance. Also the other issue is they do seem to smell quickly, so when you wake up in the morning you get that delightful stale urine smell that seems to be a issue with all of these types of protection. Over all not bad but not brilliant. I have quite servere urinery inc so it does need to hold and deal with quite a lot.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:12 pm 

Lately I have been using the Seni Super Plus diapers which have a breathable cover. I really like these, as they do not give my slacks that damp feeling like the Abenas do. I have had very few leaks, and mostly the quality has been good. I did recently have one 25-pack that had a number of diapers missing half the inner barrier. Other than that, these have been great for a breathable. In fact, I use these as my daily wear now.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:27 pm 

I've been using the Tena Stretch Super for a little while, buying a case. While the fit is kind of strange (I think I bought a size too large as it goes way above my waist), and I like them. I dealt with leaks with the Abena's I was wearing before, but haven't had any leaks with the Tena. It may just be because I'm paranoid of leaking after dealing with a couple very public and embarrassing leaks with the Abena. They're at least more comfortable somewhat since they are breathable, I don't feel the need to air out as much, and it doesn't feel as ridiculous and bulky.

They have my vote for a "decent" breathable diaper.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:41 pm 

I just recently got a bag of Abena Abri-Forms from a local supermarket (I didn't even know they had those until I noticed them while trying to find toothpaste. :D) and they have been pretty comfortable. I just wish they had lower absorbencies on their selections, the M3 is a bit of an overkill for me (maybe if I asked them nicely they would start carrying those lighter products too).

I also like the fact that they carry the Nordic Ecolabel, which of course does not mean they are an unproblematic product, but they meet the criteria, which is at least good. Have had a good experience with Abena AFs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:26 pm 

Agh, gotta update. The Abena tabs aren't that good. The Blue ones are basically one-timers and the velcro tends to wear the fabric very quickly, so one has to be very careful with the adjustment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:21 pm 

Guys,

You do not need to unfasten the diaper tapes to pee in the toilet. Just pull your penis under a leg gather. That will solve most of your problems from unfastening the tapes.

You also can just slide the diaper down over your hips. I have found that reinforcing the tapes really helps keep the diaper intact so that it can be pulled back up and still fit.

I routinely reinforce the tapes on all of my diapers. I keep a roll of Duck brand duct tape by my sink. Some great diapers have mediocre tapes and this way I do not have to worry about them. All it takes is about 5 seconds.

--John

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:05 am 

I can't slide a diaper over my hips, if I've taped it properly. You must have very narrow hips.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next