www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:13 pm 

So for the first time since becoming incontinent, I'm searching for a new job. At my current job, the dress code is relaxed, which I am grateful for since I can wear a long shirt that covers my behind. I normally wear a Molicare Super+ or even a dry 24/7

Since the interviews require business professional attire, I obviously need to tuck in my shirt. The diapers I wear to work now are too bulky, so I've had to experiment with a relatively foreign concept; slim diapers.

I still had some Molicare Supers from a while ago, so I used those. The absorbent layer is plastic backed, but the sides are breathable. Although the they didn't leak during the interview, even minor accidents felt like they were on the verge of going over the top of the leak guards. Not to mention, I could smell the odor. It wasn't overly strong, but if I could smell it, it made me wonder if other people could.

I wish the Molicare Supers were the same at the super+'s but thinner and plastic backed to meet my needs. The super plus definitely wicks a lot better too.

I'm don't need an overnight capacity diaper, just one that can last 2-3 hours. I tend to have many small accidents vs one big one, so I know that should work to my advantage. I tried guards at home by the way, and they didn't work either.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:05 pm 

Assuming that you are male, you might consider trying an external catheter for such occasions as your new job. They do not work for everybody, myself included, but those for whom externals work can get enthusiastic about them. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:00 am 

Ski,

For semi-dress or professional occasions (Dockers or dress slacks) I usually wear the Tena Slip Maxi. It is very concealable and relatively thin despite having an excellent absorbent capacity. Another good taped diaper for concealment is the Unique Wellness Superio Signature. Both of these have a plastic shell and internal standing leak guards which have proven to be very effective with bowel accidents. The absorbent capacity should exceed what you have said that you need. The plastic is relatively quiet and any rustling sound is easily controlled by wearing plastic pants or a silencer. I am bowel incontinent and have found the odor control on both to be good.

The only breathable taped diaper I would recommend is the Super Seni Quatro available from XP Med. It is the best breathable I have found and transmits less odor than most breathables, but, of course, more than a plastic-backed diaper. It also stretches and sags less than most breathables.

Re the long shirt, consider wearing a "onsie" which absolutely will protect you against a diaper showing.

Good luck and let us know how you get along with this.

--John

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:15 pm 

I totally concur with everything JD said. This is the same formula I use and it works well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:19 pm 

Well, I managed ok with a super+ but in size medium. And got the job :)

To my original question, are there any good breathables? Seriously though, I don't see how they are so "popular". I have one accident wearing them and I can smell the odor, and that's with no leaks. I don't get it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:42 am 

Ski,

I'm bowel incontinent and currently going through another bout of bladder incontinence. Like you, I have been very disappointed with breathable diapers. While most are comfortable and many have a good total absorbency, the diapers stretch and sag badly after they have absorbed urine and the tapes often come loose. The breathability necessarily increases odor, of particular concern to those of us who are bowel or double incontinent. On the plus side, they have better air circulation which can help prevent irritation or diaper rash.

Please note the one exception to my dislike for breathable diapers - the Super Seni Quatro sold by Gary at XP Medical. He only recently began selling this diaper. I believe it is made in Germany. The Seni has an incredible total capacity of 4 liters - 128 ounces! As the mat wicks well, the actual working capacity is the best I have found. I wore one for 10 ½ hours - overnight plus several hours after I got up.

The Seni Quatro has an elastic waist both in front and rear, plus a wetness indicator. It has good internal standing leak guards which have proven effective in bowel accidents. Although the Seni has a cloth-like outside shell, it has an air-permeable and waterproof barrier inside that also eliminates stretching and sagging. This diaper does not wick moisture. The tapes are unusually effective for a breathable diaper. The Seni is very quiet and extremely concealable. It has an effective "drop-zone" for those of us who are bowel incontinent. In my experience it does not clump. The Seni does not transmit as much odor as most breathable or cloth-like shell diapers. Those are a lot of positives!

While I still prefer to wear a plastic-shell diaper (usually ConfiDry 24/7 or Tena Slip Maxi) for my high risk periods for bowel incontinence when out of the home, I wear one or more Seni Quatros, mostly at home, to reduce irritation and prevent diaper rash. Mixing the plastic and breathable shell diapers seems to have helped me in this regard. If I were not bowel incontinent I probably would wear the Seni 24/7, regardless of the situation.

Although I prefer plastic-shell diapers, I have used more than a case of the Super Seni Quatro diapers and have ordered a second case. The biggest down side is the cost. If Gary continues to distribute the Seni Quatros he needs to bring down the cost (Gary, I hope you read this). On the other hand, you probably can get by with only 4 Senis per day.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:42 am 

Ski wrote:
Well, I managed ok with a super+ but in size medium. And got the job :)

To my original question, are there any good breathables? Seriously though, I don't see how they are so "popular". I have one accident wearing them and I can smell the odor, and that's with no leaks. I don't get it.

The short answer is "No."

There are no "breathable" diapers that block odor. I have tried most of the "good" ones on the market and I had escaping odor and some amount of leaking with all of them. The Attends Overnight are the only ones that didn't leak but they did still smell.

They are only so popular because some moron in marketing for a baby diaper company decided that toddlers are embarrassed because they still wear diapers if they haven't been potty trained yet so they try to make them look like cloth underwear. Keeping leaks AND odors contained is what I find non-embarrassing.

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:00 pm 

I tried the breathable diaper once, I will never use them again, I will only use plastic back diapers do to the fact you sit and then you stand up with wet pants. I love the wellness diapers, just cant afforded them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:51 am 

I agree the breathable diapers are not that great but the sad thing is that most manufacturers seem to be heading to cloth backed breathable diapers.
My supplier of my Dry 24/7's said she is selling more Abena air premiums then the dry 24/7's now guess it's the fact they are quieter then the plastic backed diapers.
I wear underwear over my dry 24/7 and it really cuts down on the crinkle sound. Will stay with plastic backed as long as I can get them

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:25 am 

Tranquility "smart core" breathables, have the same peach mat urine neutralizing agents, to reduce urine odor, as the plastic backed ATNs, which I most of the time use. ATNs fit more snugly than the smart cores and absorb a bit more, however the smart cores I find, are imo, the better of the cloth backed diapers on the market. For just daytime use.