www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:32 am 

I'm urinary incontinent and next year I'm going on a vacation with my family.

I have heard from another who's also incontinent, that apparently there are swim shorts which can be used with a diaper underneath, without the diaper getting wet from the outside water.

Can anyone confirm that such products actually are available and if so provide links?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:00 am 

Maybe some that have been dealing with this longer the I have can answer that better but from my experience, I have never heard or seen any thing like that. The closest I can think of would be a dry suit like what is used for scuba diving or paddling whitewater. But a suit like that would keep the whole body dry except the hands and head.
If you are looking for something to wear on vacation, I would suggest the SOSecure swim brief. I have used it on several trips and it had worked perfect and I was really happy with them. Although most swim diapers are made for fecal incontince, these do very well holding about an hour or so of urine giving me plenty of time to get from a hotel room to the poolside or even to a beach and time to get set up.
What I will do is get in the water and water will go in the brief, flushing out any urine. Then when I get out I will casually open the brief at the leg as low in the back to drain out as much water as I can. This will buy me time to get where I need to go without making a mess along the way.
I hope this helps.

Rope.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:40 am 

Average,

I too have never heard of anything like what you described. Please note that I wear the SoSecure swim diaper (fecal containment brief) and water definitely does get inside and becomes trapped. It will contain a small amount of urine, but that is not its purpose. When coming out of the pool I find it necessary to pause and use a finger to break the bond at a leg seal and allow the water inside to drain into the pool. Otherwise it all can suddenly, and unpredictably, drain out while I am walking around. As I am bowel incontinent I make sure that the SoSecure fits me very snugly (actually, tight).

--John

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:35 pm 

Rope_Wrench wrote:
Maybe some that have been dealing with this longer the I have can answer that better but from my experience, I have never heard or seen any thing like that. The closest I can think of would be a dry suit like what is used for scuba diving or paddling whitewater. But a suit like that would keep the whole body dry except the hands and head.
If you are looking for something to wear on vacation, I would suggest the SOSecure swim brief. I have used it on several trips and it had worked perfect and I was really happy with them. Although most swim diapers are made for fecal incontince, these do very well holding about an hour or so of urine giving me plenty of time to get from a hotel room to the poolside or even to a beach and time to get set up.
What I will do is get in the water and water will go in the brief, flushing out any urine. Then when I get out I will casually open the brief at the leg as low in the back to drain out as much water as I can. This will buy me time to get where I need to go without making a mess along the way.
I hope this helps.

Rope.

Thanks, I'll look at it again - at first I disregarded it, since it was for fecal incontinence, and I was worried that the snaps in the side would be too obvious under a pair of ordinary swimming shorts.

BTW I just stumbled across this one - according to the description it looks promising.
http://www.llmedico.com/product/42/nett ... -swimwear/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:17 pm 

I agree the SOSecure washable swim diapers are a good option. However, we also have started selling the new Swimmates Disposable Swim Diapers, made by Tranquility. It comes in sizes Adult Small up to XXL and can be found athttp://www.northshorecare.com/adult-swim-diapers.html. The swimmates are disposable pull-on underwear without any superabsorbent polymers in the lining so it will not swell up if it gets wet. Like the SOSecure, it's premary function is for bowel containment, but customers do report some usefulness for urinary incontinence. We've even had a couple customers report success in using the SOSecure on top of the Swimmates to try and keep water out of the Swimmates if they did not have a better option.

Sincerely,
Adam
NorthShore Care Supply

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:58 pm 

I too have never heard of what you described.

However, I have been using: Adult Swim Disposable Diapers Swimsters by My Pool Pal (bought from Amazon). These are made for fecal incontinence. However, they will contain urine quite well. When you enter the water, the water flushes the urine away. The end result is that my board shorts swim suit stays dry on the outside till I hit the water. At that point, they've done the job. If I get out for a while and the swimsuit drys out, then any leakage will be contained in the Swimster.

One caveat: they are *not* meant to be absorbent; they are "containment". So if you are collecting urine for a while, they can leak out if you sit or twist in some fashion. Thus, I tend to keep hitting the water or change into a regular diaper if I am going to be out of the water for a really long time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:56 pm 

I did keep my nappy on under plastic pants and tight fitting swim shorts at the pool one time and it was still a doggy mess afterwards. Thst's like wearing a wetsuit, water is still gonna get in. Not sure if there's a product that is going to hold urine as such, there's probably something out there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:55 pm 

Well, I took th eplunge and did buy a pair of swimshorts designed for incontinent people. It was the Suprima swimpant.

Although it isn't able to hold out all the water, they still did their job! I was able to fit a small insert in them, for going to and from the pool. The Suprima was able to hold all liquid inside the pant with no leaking, and I was able to enjoy the vacation and swim like anyone did, eventhough the small insert was soaked when leaving the pool water it didn't show nor did it leak.

This is one I can recommend..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:47 pm 

NotTheAverageMan wrote:
I'm urinary incontinent and next year I'm going on a vacation with my family.

I have heard from another who's also incontinent, that apparently there are swim shorts which can be used with a diaper underneath, without the diaper getting wet from the outside water.

Can anyone confirm that such products actually are available and if so provide links?

NotTheAverageMan

I don't know if this is what you are after.

http://www.incontinenceuk.co.uk/Inconti ... e_products

Greenbank

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:45 pm 

Most swim diapers appear to be made for bowel containment, rather than to keep liquids in.

I just received this for an upcoming trip: http://www.llmedico.com/product/42/nett ... -swimwear/

It is supposed to keep all liquids in (and out), provided the fit is correct. I'm hoping this keeps all water out. I used to love swimming, but now I keep getting UTIs when I go in the water. I'll give an update if this works.

Heads up, the crotch is narrow; these would work with an absorbent pad, but trying to fit a full brief underneath wouldn't work without impeding the seals at the legs and waist.