www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cloth diapers
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:31 am 

Today a new larger pre fold (no velcro) and my first flat diapers are due to be delivered. :D

I am particularly interested in seeing how I do with the flats. This first flat diaper will allow me to verify the size I need, before I buy any more. It was difficult for me to judge the correct size for a flat diaper, so I got the larger size with the expectation that the folds will handle any extra. As I am a side sleeper, any extra cloth wrapping around the sides is a plus for me. I still am using it over a disposable but expect to change to heavy night-weight cloth after we move into our new home in November.

Rope was kind enough to provide me with a detailed description of how he folds his diapers, but I am sure I will have questions.

--John

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:34 pm 

JD,
Pin-type diapers are more flexible than Velcro, because, unlike Velcro closures, they can be undone and re-pinned as often as necessary to get a good fit. Velcro is limited to its sewn-in landing zone.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:44 am 

Patrick, I am betting on that flexibility. With the conventional velcro prefolds I began with, the waist does not give me enough overlap to securely protect from a side leak. I should have better luck with the new cloth diapers.

--John

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:35 am 

I think I have tried about every type, and style of cloth diaper on the market. There are advantages, and disadvantages to every different type, and style of cloth diaper. What it all comes down to is what are your needs, and what works best for you. I am bowel, and bladder incon from nerve damage to the spinal cord, but I am mobile. Like many, I sleep on my side a lot, so having side absorbency is very important. For ease of use, I like a cloth pullup diaper, but I've never found one that had the absorbency that I needed. I never like the fit of a cloth Velcro diaper, but they are easy to use. If you use disposables, then you know that there is no one disposable diaper that will suit the needs of everyone and cloth diapers are the same in a sense that not one type, or kind will fit the needs of all users. What works for you, may not work for me, and what works for me, may not work for you, but I like "quality" pin type Birdseye cloth diapers the best for night use with lined vinyl pants. I use night weight absorbent Birdseye with the lined vinyl pants and don't have any leaks. Everyone that uses cloth diapers has their favorite supplier, and after trying several leading manufacture of cloth diapers on the market, I like Fetware night weight Birdseye diaper the best, and KINS lined vinyl pants. I've used cloth 24/7, but have since gone back to using disposables for day, and cloth at night except if I travel. This is what works best for me, but again, everyone is different with different needs.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:19 pm 

Johnstone, thanks for the good information. Why the lined vinyl pants?

--John

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:35 am 

JD,

You can try using just a plain unlined vinyl pants, but I'm a heavy wetter at night and since I sleep on my side a lot, any excess moisture is absorbed in the liner of the pant. Have an absorbent diaper is only the first step because when your laying flat and you have leakage, you "hope" the diaper will absorb all of it, but many times the excess leakage not absorbed by the diaper will pool in the pant and will leak around the waist. Have a lined pants over the cloth diaper solves this problem unless you only have small leaks at night. My advise is try using just the vinyl pant and see how this works. If the pants leaks, then you know you need to use a lined vinyl pants. When it comes to vinyl pants, KINS, of Fetwear make some of the best on the market, and for sure the best lined vinyl pants can be found at KINS. I used Gary vinyl pants for a long time, but in my opinion, (everybody has one), KINS, and Fetwear vinyl pants are superior to Gary pants. DON'T misunderstand me, Gary DOES make a very good vinyl pants, I just happen to like the quality and fit of KINS, or Fetware pants better.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:54 pm 

johnstone, thanks, I see why you are using the lined pants. Also, that is good information regarding the vendors for vinyl pants. I'll try one of them the next time I order vinyl.

--John

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:25 am 

Success! I had my first trial of my new cloth pin-type flat diapers last night and it went very well. I practiced fitting and pinning them on prior to bed time.

These are day-weight diapers but now I have a sufficiently large waist that the overlap protects my side area where my disposable has been leaking.

I will continue to wearing cloth over a disposable until we move into a new home with a better washer and dryer. Then I will change to only night-weight cloth.

I had my urodynamics test yesterday and the technician instructed me to over-hydrate for the next two days. Accordingly, I expected the disposable to leak and, sure enough, it did. However, the cloth diaper soaked up a sizable leak and wicked it very well to distribute it throughout the diaper.

I am very pleased. :D My thanks to all who gave me advice and suggestions!

--John

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:33 am 

JD,

Glad to have been of assistance. Glad, also, that the superior absorbency of cloth was demonstrated for you. I hope that the floor plan of your new home will include enough space in the bathroom(s) to make them incontinence-friendly for washing and changing.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:24 am 

Patrick,

Re the new house, it will not be ready until November. We are going to some expense to modify a bathroom by moving a wall in order to provide more room in the bathroom. This is to give me more flexibility with regard to my morning enema procedure as well as changing diapers, etc.. Also, it provides more space for a wheelchair or walker. I'm not getting any younger and we are trying to plan to age "gracefully. Given my back problems, a wheelchair is very likely to be in my future. As I have been in a chair in the past, I have enough experience to address the major design issues. For example, the modified bathroom will allow me to spin a wheelchair without making contact with cabinets or walls and have room to transfer to the toilet or a chair. The stairs to the second floor are a straight shot which easily will accommodate a stair climber. I have enough room in the garage for a ramp with the correct rate of incline. With any luck I'll be in the new house until they carry me out! :)

--John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next