www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cloth diapers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:30 am 

I use pre-fold cloth diapers from Fetware. I have tried other brands, but for quality, fit, absorbency, and price, I just think these are some of the best cloth diapers on the market. However, for travel, I use the Abena M4, or the Tena Slip Maxi. I don't travel that often so most of the time I mainly use cloth diapers because I have less skin rashes, excellent absorbency and comfort. Even with a diaper cover (plastic pant) over the diaper I have less chaffing with cloth diapers, plus the diapers I use shown NO bulk. I don't wear baggy diaper covers as this causes bulk so I like to wear more of a tighter fitting cover over the diaper so I have no detectable bulk.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:37 am 

Johnstone, When you say a "tighter fitting cover" What do you use? Papa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:12 am 

Hahaha really papa made me laugh too :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:51 pm 

kakapo wrote:
I currently use disposable diapers for my incontinence and am managing well, but can anyone tell me, what advantages do cloth diapers have over disposable. I am currently only urine incontinent.
Kakapo

I tried to do my bit for the green issue but found for my personal situation it was impractical.

Apparently we send 8m used nappies per day to landfills, the effect on our planet for lots of reasons is overwhelming.

I still bought a cloth nappy to try. It's velcro for fixing and to wesr at night, never found anything so comfortable.

The problem is you got to have inserts and if they are going to be cloth, this can be a bewildering journey into finding what is best and size etc.

Using disposable pads would just have destroyed the purpose of moving to cloth in the first place so my life in disposable nappies continues.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:58 am 

Ginco, With cloth diapers all you have to do is double up. Two night weight diapers never fails to contain all the wetting. As long as your diapers are tucked in you will sleep through the night and still have enough absorbency left to get up and have coffee before changing. Papa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:59 am 

One advantage of cloth diapers is that they can be layered. You can use as many lightweight, summer diapers as needed for any given occasion. This makes them far more flexible than disposables which pretty much limit you to their initial absorbency plus whatever insert can be made to fit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:14 am 

There is no doubt in my mind that for someone who wets heavily at night terry or cloth nappies are the best way forward but with the obvious downside of much extra work with soaking and laundering used ones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:31 am 

I find almost no extra work. I remove the cloth diapers in the shower in the morning place on floor of shower as I wash. I include the ones from the day before. Rinse the plastic pants at the same time. I wring them all out when done showering and throw in laundry basket - no smell left in them. Every 3-4 days I wash in machine and dryer. I doubt it adds 20 mins of work all week. Papa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:39 am 

I will go through maybe 7 disposable diapers a week also at a cost of 8-9 dollars. 4 cloth diapers a day or about 30 cloth diapers a week with a cost of $0. Laundry and drying minimal cost. it is worth that 20 mins to throw in wash and dryer and fold. Papa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:14 am 

I did a high level analysis of the cost of laundering my cloth diapers. Between gas cost, electric cost, water and sewage cost, detergent and vinegar (which I added during prewash soak), and factoring in periodic striping; on average it cost me slightly over $3 per load.

Obviously utility cost, etc., vary, but laundry isn't free either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next