www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cloth diapers
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:56 pm 

The cloth diapers at night are working like a charm! After some experimentation and using suggestions from the group, I now get a snug, properly fitting cloth diaper. :D

I found the larger pins to be a difficult to insert into the cloth, but lubricating them by sticking them in a bar of soap solved the problem.

--John

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:02 am 

After some practice, I now am very satisfied with my use of cloth diapers over a disposable at night. I will change to cloth-only when we move to our new house. Thanks to those who recommended them and all who have answered my questions about cloth. :D

I am using both prefolds and flat gauze diapers, all with 4 pins. Works great and still very snug the next morning. I am using two different diaper folds, one for the prefold and another for the flats, which are a bit larger. I enjoy getting that perfect fit, with the extra cloth just where I need it most.

As I look forward to wearing cloth-only at night and during some mornings, a question has arisen. I normally wear a barrier cream. However, when wearing cloth-only I would think that would become a problem, with the zinc oxide barrier cream rubbing off onto the fibers of the cloth? :(

I could try skipping the barrier cream at night, but overnight I usually go 10 to 11 hours between changes and that might invite a rash.

What do you guys and gals do? What about adult diaper liners? I do not have bowel accidents at night, but should I consider them to contain the zinc oxide?

--John

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:52 am 

JD,

The barrier cream does indeed stain the inner diaper. To deal with it, I use a pre-wash spray on fecal and zinc oxide stains. I put the wash on extended cycle, hot water, cold rinse, and hang them outside to dry when I can. When weather prevents hanging laundry outside, a typical load of diapers will require the long cycle, hot, dryer setting, plus an extra twenty minutes. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:28 pm 

Google recommendations from infant cloth diaper groups. Barrier cream is a significant no-no. It coats the fibers and significantly reduces absorbency over time. You should also steer clear of fabric softener and dryer sheets.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:56 am 

Fabric softeners are polyester sheets impregnated with a low-temperature wax which evaporates in the dryer. The wax significantly reduces the absorbency of the diapers. Not what I want to happen. However, zinc oxide ointment does about the same thing: it reduces the absorbency of the diaper when it rubs off. The difference is that, if your skin is prone to diaper rash, using an ointment to protect it is mandatory. I manage absorbency by careful laundering.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:55 am 

Guys,

Very good and useful comments. Thanks! :D

I am reluctant to skip the zinc oxide barrier cream. I almost never have a bowel accident during the night. However, I prefer not to change until after my morning coffee, breakfast, and usually a little work at my desk. That is when the risk of an accident goes up significantly. :(

--John