www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Major Setback
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:49 pm 

I had a heart attack one week ago today. Damage is minimal, and both my medical team and one of my brothers (a pharmacist) commended me for my quick thinking to help myself. As some of you may know, I had been working on my control since early August, with major success. Wet nights had reduced to 3 in 6 months (non-consecutive), and only 1 daytime urge accident (I still wear Silhouette when I'm away from home and I keep a spare with me). Since having my heart attack, my night wettings have increased to nightly episodes, two and sometimes 3 wettings per night, with large volume. I had that problem for a couple of weeks after my stroke nearly 3 years ago, but it may be beyond obvious that a pull-up is no longer appropriate for meeting my need. The bed is getting wet, my husband is furious (he's not my favorite person right now, and he should be way more understanding, given his own history), and I'm having a lot of stress in other areas of my life right now. In the past, I've been reluctant to give in to using diapers, but now I think that they are my only viable alternative.

At least one of the members here has used Tena Stretch Super and has been satisfied with them. My post-stroke motor skills have improved, but they're still not perfect. It looks like Tena Stretch has wide tabs (more like flaps?) that seem easy to fasten. Also, I'd like to use the Tenas as a pull-up - do any of you think that would work?

I've also considered XP Medical's new line, but I've read comments here that the tabs are unforgiving (also that the diapers are loud, but I'm not concerned about that).

I want the convenience and ease of a disposable - no pins, plastic pants, or diapers soaking in the washer or sitting in a diaper pail.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Wetters

Post subject: Re: Major Setback
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:28 am 
Admin

Sorry to hear that news Wetters, hope you improve in the months ahead. The Tena Stretch is a good fit for me, I like the one tab, but they stretch a bit too far on both sides, and I have one flap attatching to the top of the other in order to get it tight enough to hold up to any added weight that goes into it, nothing that hinders performance, but it would be better if they didn't overlap. They are not available here in stores yet, but I can get them if they go on sale online for Canada suppliers, Well.ca is the best chance, but I like to see them at $25 a bag of 28 briefs for me to get them. I hope your hubby smartens up and starts being a bit more undersstanding too! :roll: Puffy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:23 am 

Wetters, you know I'm a big fan of the Tena Super Stretch diapers. They fit me great, though Puffy has a point about the stretchiness being a double-edged sword. That's why I always wear snug-fitting underwear over my diapers. They serve not only to keep things in place, but also reduce any noise or bulges.

The thing I don't think I've ever said about these diapers is that they can be used like pull-ups, since they're flexible enough to be pulled up and down. Getting the right tightness might take a little practice, but they can be fastened and refastened a few times without reducing the strength of the Velcro-like tabs.

I've been using the Abena Deltaform L3 lately, and they're a good diaper, but when these are gone I think I'll go back to the Tenas. Variety is the spice of life, but sometimes there's no place like home.

So glad to hear you're feeling good, though I'm sorry that your hubby is being a big ol' dummy. Smack him upside the head for me and see if that does anything to improve his attitude. :)

-RMS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:50 am 

Wetters,

I too am sorry that your husband is not being more understanding. I can understand how frustrating it is when you start to lose control in the first place. I felt, and still do at times, that my body is betraying me by not allowing me control. It must be even harder with a spouse that isn't understanding. I was lucky in that my wife was patient with me and understanding enough to let me do what I needed to do. Now that she is starting to have more problems herself, I am trying to be there for her as well. I don't want her thinking that she is all alone in this. And I don't want you thinking that too. You have us here for support at the very least. Lean on us. That, from all I have seen, is why this forum is here.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:24 pm 

Wetters, sorry to read of your problems.

Seriously consider the new white plastic-backed Wellness Superio Signature diaper. If you tried this diaper longer than a month ago, it was not the same one. With all of its recent improvements I consider it now to be a slightly less expensive version of the Tena Slip Maxi (which I also wear). It has very fast absorbency and a high total absorbent capacity. I tested it with a working load of 44 oz. while wearing the diaper and much of the absorbent mat had not yet been used. It has very high leak guards (gutter guards) and very high leg gathers. The tapes are strong and the diaper has a front plastic taping panel or "landing zone" so that tapes may be removed and reattached without a problem. For night use, of course, I still would recommend that it be worn with a diaper cover.

Best wishes,
--JD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:33 pm 

Thanks, everyone for your kind thoughts and words. I really appreciate the support.

Titan, I had a feeling that the Tenas could be used as a pull-up, given that they stretch - thanks for your confirmation on that, and I appreciate the heads-up from Puffy about the stretching.

Msshendo, please give my regards to your wife - I hope things get better for her soon. You had mentioned something in a previous post about a yeast infection. I'm sorry that I don't have any input to provide, since I've never had one, but I think that she should see the doctor to find out exactly what's going on, rather than just buy one of those OTC treatments. I hope that her coughing (and wetting) have diminished.

JD, I'm liking the specs on the Wellness Superio. I'll need to consider those, too - btw, it's been a little over a week now since my high-volume wetting relapse, with no sign of a let-up.

Wetters

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:50 am 

Wetters, I'm late to this thread and am unaware of what brand you have been using as a pull on. but for me, as a female with frequent and unpredictable partial bladder incontinence, less frequent partial bowel incontinence, as well as dexterity problems from other issues, I have had the best experiences over a few years with Abena AbriFlex pull ons. On the occasions that I have had sudden full or almost full incontinence, which was frequent for a while, (300-350 cc's for me; you may have a larger bladder capacity) there has been very quick absorption and little or no leaking, whether I have been sitting, standing or lying down, to the point that I feel fairly safe without plastic pants over them, although I use them on occasion. If I am going out for many hours during the day and have more moderate and minor leaks, I almost never have to change until I return home and can do so in privacy and at my own speed (If I do have to change outside, I will use a large adhesive liner attached to AbriFix pants for the remaining time, which is usually short. Not ideal, but it is physically impossible for me to remove and replace pants and shoes in a typical public restroom with any efficiency.)

As far as pull ons are concerned, in my experience, even Tranquility, the next best and somewhat less expensive leaks more than the Abena when very wet, even with plastic pants and especially when lying down. It's also bigger (though thinner) than the Abenas, which means they take up a lot of room to carry around for travel, etc. The "peach mat" color of the Tranqulity also makes it difficult to see how much blood has come out during menstruation and when it needs to be changed because of that. No other pull ons I tried over the past few years have come close. If you have not tried them already, I highly recommend the Abena AbriFlex. I use the M (medium)3.

The downsides of Abena are that they are very thick, and therefore bulky to carry around or pack for travel, and not very discreet to dispose of if staying in someone else's home, for example. They are also expensive. Many people here use XP Medical online, which often is the least expensive medical supply company by the case. They are very quick to ship, and do so in unmarked boxes. Occasionally, I have found cases several dollars cheaper on Amazon.com third party vendors. Not always-- prices fluctuate there, but sometimes one gets lucky. When things are not as bad for me, or I know I will be home most of the time, I try to use less expensive liners so that I have the Abenas for when I really need them, and that helps keep the costs down. I tried cloth for a while and occasionally still use it at home, but unlike others, don't find it all that satisfactory for several reasons.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:29 pm 

Wetters wrote:
Msshendo, please give my regards to your wife - I hope things get better for her soon. You had mentioned something in a previous post about a yeast infection. I'm sorry that I don't have any input to provide, since I've never had one, but I think that she should see the doctor to find out exactly what's going on, rather than just buy one of those OTC treatments. I hope that her coughing (and wetting) have diminished.Wetters

Wetters, thanks for that. I think for the most part she has gotten better with the coughing and incon. I should post an update to the thread that I started. She did visit a Dr and got a prescription and the yeast infection has cleared up. Thanks for the concern and the well wishes.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:22 pm 

[JD, I'm liking the specs on the Wellness Superio. I'll need to consider those, too - btw, it's been a little over a week now since my high-volume wetting relapse, with no sign of a let-up.

Wetters[/quote]

Hello Wetters....I've not tried any of the Wellness products tho I've seen much advertising for them. Some of the reports from users, however, have not seemed favorable to me, so I've stayed with my current standard: Abena.

I do stay in contact with members of a former incontinence support group (this group met in person about 10 years ago), and both are women dealing with incontinence due to disability. We have exchanged a lot of 'new product' reports to one another and both have not been overly impressed by the performance of Wellness Superio, either. I was intending to try them, but did not, based on this advise. Still, I may give them a trial in the near future...never know.

Just wanted to add my opinion to the matter.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:24 pm 

John and all,

It looks like some folks who are posting about the new Wellness Signature Superio diapers may not be using the final version. During the test and introduction period the diaper went through several improvements.

--JD