www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Major Setback
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:46 pm 

Hi, zenute - Sorry for the late response. I've been slammed at work, and dealing with a new operating system which was installed while I was in the hospital.

Thanks for the info on Abriflex. I have dexterity problems as well (from a stroke) - that's why I thought about Tena stretch. The tabs are actually extensions of the sides.

My daytime control has improved substantially as a result of doing Kegels. I use Depend Silhouette during the day when I plan to be out for several hours and a bathroom may not be readily available. When I'm home, I can get by with white cotton panties. I still don't trust myself with my silk bikini styles. I have been using Rite Aid overnight absorbency unisex pull-ups at night, however, my night wetting has become substantially worse after my heart attack. Pull-ups are often not adequate for me right now, and I must move up to a brief. I have had increased intensity before, and I hope that it will again subside. I agree with you that cloth is not an option.

Wetters

P.S. to John and JD - Thanks for the updates on the Wellness Superio.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:02 pm 

Wetters, if you have been using Depends or Rite Aid or similar quality store brand, of course they are not adequate, especially at night. They are the lowest absorbency end of the range and really designed for people who are going to leak a little bit intermittently or are very sedentary and are going to have someone else do the changing/washing of clothes/bedding for them immediately upon soiling. They are not adequate for the active, independent adult with incontinence and perhaps some other physical limitations who needs reliable "social continence" in public or not to deal with his or her own extra laundry, etc. from poor quality products.

I used both brands that you mention when I first started having medical issues-- not expensive, readily available, sounded reasonable until I was flooding everything on a regular basis, even without full incontinence. Brands from medical supply companies like Tranquility and Abena AbriFlex are the highest absorbency end of the range, much different from the cheap stuff, and will hold much more. According to this link from a supplier I have used occasionally, the Depends Silhouettes pull on underwear in medium reportedly hold 16 oz. Contrast this with Tranquility overnights with 34 oz. and Abena Extras 37 oz. More than twice as much, even if the practical capacity isn't quite as much. I think it comes closer than many lesser products. http://www.northshorecare.com/pullons1.html

Some time ago, while I didn't wet in my sleep, medical issues were regularly causing extreme urgency first thing upon awakening, combined with extreme exhaustion whereby I could not get out of bed fast enough. I tried various female urinal devices, which were less than satisfactory. Of course, I didn't like the idea of flooding expensive Abenas with a full overnight bladder first thing in the morning most days, but my point is that they hold up with capacity to spare, though thankfully, for me, that happens much less frequently now.

Of course, if you want to move up to a brief style diaper and deal with tabs or flaps-- I personally know I physically can't on a regular basis-- that's your choice and I wish you well, but if you prefer a pull up style or find them easier to manage physically, there are several better options than what you've been using and it's not necessarily true that you "must" move up to briefs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:14 pm 

Hi, zenute. Thanks very much for your input. Yes, inexpensive and readily available, and they were meeting my needs most of the time. Also, I get both products from the Rite Aid 2 blocks down the hill from my house.

I do prefer pull-up style protection as opposed to briefs. Good to know that there's a higher-absorbency product out there. One often hears the lament that 'no pull-up is adequate for night use....' I looked at the website and I'm going to order a sample pack of AbriFlex pull-ups from XP Medical.

Thanks for all of your help.

Wetters
P.S. On occasion, I, too, have experienced extreme urgency immediately upon awakening - with zero time to get out of bed. Although beneficial to have protection in place, I oftentimes had used it hours earlier and it was no longer adequate. Fortunately, I have always been able to get out of bed right away, and thus have avoided any leaking issues.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:09 pm 

Hi, zenute. Thank you very much for the recommendation for AbriFlex pull-ups. They are a world away from the Rite Aid brand. My mornings are better now that the bed isn't getting wet, and I feel like I have some control over my life again. Also, the reduction of extreme stress has enabled me to have 2 non-consecutive dry nights since Thursday! Thanks again.

Wetters

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:31 pm 

Very glad to hear that the Abena pull ons are working out for you, Wetters. Happy to help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:20 pm 

Ditto, Wetters. I'm glad you've found something that works for you. I've used those and I think I'm between sizes. I'm too fat for the mediums and not quite fat enough to get a snug fit with the larges. They're incredibly absorbent, but they gap at the legs for me.

I suppose that's why there are so many kinds of products out there, eh? Something for everyone and every body. :-)

-RMS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:04 pm 

Hi, RMS, I'm guessing that you're partial to Tena Super Stretch because they are the best of both worlds - the snug, customized fit of a brief (without the frustration of tiny tabs) and the convenience of a pull-up. Am I right?

Wetters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:27 am 

You are correct, madam. The stretchy sides aren't so stretchy that I can pull down the front to use a urinal, but they move while at the same time staying put. I always wear snug-fitting underwear over any diaper to help keep everything in place, but the Tena Super Stretches seem to need it less than most.

Some might complain that the belt-like sides allow for gaps at the legs, and that can happen. But here again, the undies help with that, and it's a trade-off I'm willing to make for the comfort and flexibility.

-RMS