www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cloth Diapers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:35 am 

Well, its official, I am sold on cloth diapers. For those out there that have never tried them and in need of 24/7 protection I would strongly suggest at least looking in to the option.
The number one thing that was holding me back from making the move was the fear of how thick they looked and that something that bulky would be too uncomfortable. I will agree, they are a lot thicker but it really is not that bad. You will need to make a list of pros and cons and weight things out for yourself.
The second reason I was hesitant to make the switch was because of my feelings and views of the ABDL community. I hope I don't hurt any feelings here but living with incontinence and having my life impacted this way has been an emotional roller coaster and I have developed a HUGE animosity towards them.(that is about the nicest way I can put it) A lot of the AB's out there sing the praises of cloth and plastic "panties". The images it gave me truly made me sick to my stomach.
But with all that said there comes a point where one has to accept the cards that have been dealt and move forward with finding the product or products that best fit there needs. I had an online friend that kept urging me to give them a try and after opening the door to reusables in the search for something to workout in I really began to give it more thought.
What I learned is they fit my lifestyle as far as night time needs and protection. Also there is a place for them during the day as well. I keep looking for ways to save as much as I can on diapers and my protection that it just seemed to make since. At night,I am alone and no one other then my wife will see them or the added bulk. I have found that they are just ans reliable if not more reliable to stop leaks. I have been using them for about 3 weeks now and still no leaks. I actually kept my night time cloth on to see about how long it would last and wore it for about 13 hours. As for day use, there are a lot of days where I am home alone and the kids are at school and the wife at work so as far as being concerned with how things "look", it is pointless to get upset.
Doing the math, using cloth at night and then two or three times during the week, I can cut my diaper expenses by about 25%. That makes since to me.

Sorry for the long post. I kind of got carried away.

Post subject: Re: Cloth Diapers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:10 pm 

One more thing to add to the topic it someone is looking for information to decide it this will be a good move for them. The down sides are they are expensive to start. My first one was about $35 but the way I look at it, just after the first month, it has paid for itself. The other disadvantage it the care. I knew the things will need to be washed but I was not aware that there was a different method to wash diapers. After about week and a half I was getting a really strong ammonia smell when I got up in the mornings. Come to find out you need to take a few extra steps to make sure you get all that stuff out of them.
But a little bit of time on the internet on some forums about cloth diapers and I learned how to clean them better, why it happens and then how to get it out. There is still some learning in progress for me but once I learn the steps that work, It will become second nature.

I did a little math to day and figured out roughly how much I am saving now from when I first went 24/7. I went from spending about $6.06 a day for protection to just over $2.00. There are a lot of ways to save if you first swallow your pride, shop around a little and learn what will work best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:39 am 
Admin

Yes Rope, they certainly make a lot of sense if you need something at night, and are doing laundry anyhow. I recall another post somewhere about someone remarking about how they looked wearing whatever they used, and another member psoted that it is not a fashion show! I laughed, as they were totally right, we don't wear to impress, we wear out of need, and none of it is fashionable, nore was it made to be! You need to laugh sometimes, and not take it all so seriously, but that takes time and some take longer to get there, it certainly took me a while! Cloth is much more comfortable, and effective for all sleep positions, very handy when you never know when things are going to "go wrong" in the middle of the night! :shock: Glad it is working out for you, and you can save some funds! Puffy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:00 am 

Rope, A diaper by any other name, material, shape, color, print, type, etc. ...is still a diaper. I know you must wear shoes and boots and have different types, colors, styles, materials. etc. And I doubt you worry what the shoe fetish people have to say. We are incontinent. We are worlds apart from the fetish part of diapers. Why people here even bring that up amazes me. We have to deal with the very real fact that we have to wear diapers. Read post after post and see the angst and often depressed feelings so many share. It would be great to be incontinent and find it gives you great pleasure to be wearing diapers. But life isn't that kind. ABDL's can wear and not use their diapers. They can decide not to wear and never worry about if it is too wet. Here we share stories, hints, advice and comfort to deal with a problem that we never thought we would have to deal with. We all switch around trying to find a better diaper. Often that is just boredom with the "same old, same old" and like new clothes makes us happier, a different diaper can have the same affect. It also just might be better! Avoiding a product because it "might" be associated with the fetish is insane. Who the hell knows what you are wearing? And really, who the hell cares? Besides ourselves that is. We seem to add to our anxiety by worrying "what would people think" to our already stressful condition!
On your switch to cloth diapers, it is YOUR decision. I wear cloth almost 24/7 I can't give up disposable diapers because of their convenience but wear them only when the situation warrants them. Save your worry for real problems and not for what type of diaper you wear. And Merry Christmas to all. Papa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:44 am 

Papa wrote:
Rope, A diaper by any other name, material, shape, color, print, type, etc. ...is still a diaper. I know you must wear shoes and boots and have different types, colors, styles, materials. etc. And I doubt you worry what the shoe fetish people have to say. We are incontinent. We are worlds apart from the fetish part of diapers. Why people here even bring that up amazes me. We have to deal with the very real fact that we have to wear diapers. Read post after post and see the angst and often depressed feelings so many share. It would be great to be incontinent and find it gives you great pleasure to be wearing diapers. But life isn't that kind. ABDL's can wear and not use their diapers. They can decide not to wear and never worry about if it is too wet. Here we share stories, hints, advice and comfort to deal with a problem that we never thought we would have to deal with. We all switch around trying to find a better diaper. Often that is just boredom with the "same old, same old" and like new clothes makes us happier, a different diaper can have the same affect. It also just might be better! Avoiding a product because it "might" be associated with the fetish is insane. Who the hell knows what you are wearing? And really, who the hell cares? Besides ourselves that is. We seem to add to our anxiety by worrying "what would people think" to our already stressful condition!
On your switch to cloth diapers, it is YOUR decision. I wear cloth almost 24/7 I can't give up disposable diapers because of their convenience but wear them only when the situation warrants them. Save your worry for real problems and not for what type of diaper you wear. And Merry Christmas to all. Papa

I think you are right. When I first needed to wear protection during the day I was convinced it would be noticed. Whether anyone has I don't know. As time went on I realised no one notices or if they do no one really cares. I don't broadcat that I wet the bed most nights but my bed pad and sheets are often on the line drying and our neighbours must have seen them on numerous occasions. No one has said anything. I guess it is just something you don't talk about.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:56 am 

Rope_Wrench wrote:
One more thing to add to the topic it someone is looking for information to decide it this will be a good move for them. The down sides are they are expensive to start. My first one was about $35 but the way I look at it, just after the first month, it has paid for itself. The other disadvantage it the care. I knew the things will need to be washed but I was not aware that there was a different method to wash diapers. After about week and a half I was getting a really strong ammonia smell when I got up in the mornings. Come to find out you need to take a few extra steps to make sure you get all that stuff out of them.
But a little bit of time on the internet on some forums about cloth diapers and I learned how to clean them better, why it happens and then how to get it out. There is still some learning in progress for me but once I learn the steps that work, It will become second nature.

I did a little math to day and figured out roughly how much I am saving now from when I first went 24/7. I went from spending about $6.06 a day for protection to just over $2.00. There are a lot of ways to save if you first swallow your pride, shop around a little and learn what will work best.

I also started wearing cloth diapers in order to cut down expenses.
My plan was originally, that I would wear cloth in weekends and holidays, and disposables when at work.
However my cloth really smell bad once they are starting to get wet.
They smell good when I put it on – newly washed, but after only one wetting they smell like an old diaper.
Could you please share your experiences with the cleaning an getting rid of the ammoniac odor - My wife really complains about the smell of my diaper.

I wash them carefully, but can't get rid of the smell.
Last try is Hot water wash, not soap, only bleach – I’m waiting to find out of the results.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:40 am 

The washing was the hard part to figure out but once you get that down, its smooth sailing from there. Like you I thought I was washing carefully but after some time in the internet looking and new mother forums and such, I learned what I WS doing wrong. The first thing you need to do is soak them in a bucket of water with about 1-2 cups of vinegar. What is happening is the urea in the pee is changing to ammonia and sticking to the natural fibers of the diaper. The vinegar will crystalize the ammonia and change it to a type of salt which is WAY easier to wash out. Let them soak for a few hours(3-4) and then throw everything in the washing.machine including the vinegar water and if your washer has a prewash setting, do that, if not advance it to rinse to get all that stuff off. Then when your done wash them again as normal. That WILL get the ammonia smell out.
To keep the smell out whatI have been doing is I have a small storage bin I will put about 3 inches of water and about a half a cup of vinegar in and whenI take them off, I drop them in there till its time to wash. I do a prewash then regular wash and then an extra rinse. I have not had any more issues at all. Only other thing to add is always set the washer for a large load. You need a lot of water to get them clean and don't put too much in because you won't get it all out. Good luck and let is know how the vinegar works for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:10 pm 

Thanks for all input on this subject! I use disposables during day at work and cloth and plastic pants at night. To me they are just more comfortable. The right combination of diaper and cover probably varies from user to user. It really has not been that difficult with disposables, for me and so many I ready here it is Molicare or Abena. Its about that simple.
Wearing cloth only at night you can afford to be a bit bulky for additional absorbancy. I wear thick contour diapers (night time) and have probably 100 different plastic pants, it keeps coming back to the Gary High Back from the Adult Cloth Diaper co. When experimenting with covers it seems the more uncomfortable the leaks, with the Gary High Backs I get both comfort and secure leak free.
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:33 am 

Tom, you have hit the nail on the head. No disposable diaper is as comfortable as a cotton diaper next to your skin. And the ability to add more protection by double diapering is so simple it makes night time the one time you never have to worry about leaks. I can not remember the last time I leaked through cloth diapers and plastic pants. They easily last 10 to 12 hours. Papa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:40 am 

The cloth diapers I wear at night are too bulky to fit under standard pajamas, so I switched to nightshirts.