www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cloth diaper for daytime
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:56 am 

Hi

Due to the quantity I tend to use of disposables during the day I started considering using cloth instead, as it’s pretty expensive continuing the disposables route.

I already have some cloth diapers which I use for nighttime as I’m a side sleeper and they work really well. However I don’t think they are discrete enough for daytime use both because of the bulk and that they are not easy to put on….

Therefore I was wondering whether there are cloth diapers with both good absorbency and still are fairly discrete to use under cloth, I’m thinking of maybe adding in doublers to increase the absorbency of the diaper if necessary.

My hope is, that I can then cut down the use of disposables to only one per day during work hours and when leaving from work and when at home in weekends, switch to cloth diapers instead.

I might add in, that I used the advice from the primer and are using a toddler size 6 as inserts in my disposable which is the reason why I can get by, by only using one premium disposable during work hours.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:29 am 
Admin

I think the only company that I found in my book marks that had a pull on day weight cloth diaper was Kins, might have to search around a bit to find others, good luck, Puffy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:03 am 

I have ordered some of their nighttime diapers - almost two months ago, however they haven't arrived....
emailed them a couple of times, but they ended up not responding.

Therefore no more "kin's" for me....

I'll give them a couple of weeks more, then I'll ask for a money back through Paypal.

Because of that problem I'm experiencing with "kins" are there other sources for a good daytime cloth diaper yet still absorbant - they are for home use, therefore I have no problem with bulk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:57 pm 

If you are interested in a pre-fold cloth diaper rather than an AIO, Changing Times Diaper Company has reasonable prices, good quality and ships very quickly. You will need to use waterproof pants with them. The cloth material they use wears well and is very soft after a couple of washings.
Here's the site: http://www.changingtimesdiaperco.com Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:36 am 

I too have been making the switch from disposable to cloth for daytime use. And the changingtimesdiaperco is a great product to make the switch with. I do recommend them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:11 am 

As you experiment with cloth diapers, you might consider the stretch type of diaper fasteners. I have used diaper pins over the years, but decided to try the stretchable type of fastener.

As others have mentioned, Snappi fasteners are the way go. They are quick and easy to apply and stretch so they tend to do a better job of keeping tension at the waist. As I use them I notice that they tend to become a bit longer, but do not break. After awhile they loose some of their stretch, so I replace them. In two years I've only gone through 4 of them.

The other style, Boingo, do not hold that well and poke fingers when applying.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:48 am 

Thanks a lot for the input.

In regard to their sizes, are they running on the smaller side or?

I have a couple of cloth diapers from baby pants, and they are in size large which fits me well, however when looking at "changingtimesdiaperco" and their sizing, it seems like I could go with a "medium" pre-fold which apparently should fit a waist up to 41" - I just don't want to end up with a diaper too small....

The same question goes for their PUL pants - I'm considering trying one of their PUL pants to use when out and about and I'm using a disposable...where the PUL pant is meant to catch a leak if the diaper are becoming saturated...due to no access to appropiate changing places.

My waist / hip measurement are approx 39 / 40 inches.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:40 pm 

I have a 38-39 inch waist and use a large size during the day and x-larges at night. The med will fit up to a 41 inch waist I expect rather snugly. For pants I use Gary large high waist during the day and x-large high waist with a double diaper at night.

The PUL pants are sized differently then Gary's high waist. The large PUL too are tight for me. X-large work for daytime and 2x-large at night but they don't have the high waist. PUL does wear well. Might try contacting Robert and asking about size at ctdc58@comcast.net.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:24 am 

Thanks again for the advices.
I emailed their customer service and got a nice reply back...and based on the reply, I chosed to get two large prefolds just for a start to see how they perform, I also went with a PUL snap pant. Never tried the PUL pant before so are looking forward to see if it can help me when going on long trips and a change isn't that convienient.
I was on a long trip Friday - I though I was well protected but ended up leaking very bad in the end :oops:
and by then it was too late trousers and everything was just wet.....maybe the PUL pant would have helped me out in that circumstance - not that I'll aim for another try.......