www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Tena Slip Briefs
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:11 am 

Because I switched to catheterization last February I cancelled my order of diapers that was due in the March. I had been told previous to this that the health service was about to change from Attends to Tena.
Over the last few months I have on occasions had to use a diaper because sometimes the flip flow valve comes out of the end of the catheter and you get very wet. This had been a real problem since my last catheter change and I will ask about it at my next change.
Anyhow I decided to activate my order and they arrived last Friday and they were Tena slip plus and Tena slip super.
To my shock Tena have changed from plastic backing to paper like backing which I am not that happy with. It's impossible to get them fixed as well as you used to with the old ones I had purchased some time ago the tabs just don't stick as well to the fabric as they did to the plastic.
I don't know if they will hold the same or not but they just don't seam as secure.
They will certainly be ok for my occasional use but if I was totally dependent on them I think I would prefer the old ones or the Attends.

4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:38 am 

Dave, a suggestion was made in another thread about cloth backed diapers that I never knew about but has helped me a lot. That is the idea of pre-stretching the diaper. Pull gently on the wings to stretch it out so it won't stretch over time wearing it. I does work really well. I have switched to the Seni Quatro diaper for daytime use which is a cloth backed diaper and much more discrete at work. I pre-stretch each one before putting it on. Maybe that will help you unless your problem is that the tape tabs themselves don't work. Then I sugguest duct tape.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:14 pm 

Thanks for that. As I said don't use a lot now so will be fine. I was just a bit surprised when I got them out that Tena had made the change to cloth backed.

Thanks.

4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:15 pm 

Just out of curiosity, which brands still have plastic? As far as I know, these are the only ones still with plastic backing.

Depend with tabs(suck)
Abena level 4s
Attends classic
Molicare super
Tranquillity ATN and slimline
Wings (suck)
XPMedical's brand.

That's all I can remember.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:23 pm 

Gosh the loss of plastic backings! I can't help think that's going to make for some rather damp nights! I'm glad I don't need them any more! (but I have to self-catheterise instead - including in the middle of the night, yuk!)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:28 pm 
Admin

The cloth backed are not a leaking mess or anything, they have a plastic liner inside, so the outer shell stays dry, but I am leaning towards plastic backed if I can get them at a reasonable price online, nothing local that meets what I need that is plastic. Leaning towards the Molicare Supers, or Abena M3 or M4's for at night, but I would take a diaper for the night over a self-cath session any time Wheels, , I'd be peeing fire for a good 24 hours after that! :shock: Puffy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:56 am 

4wheeldave wrote:
... I was just a bit surprised when I got them out that Tena had made the change to cloth backed. ...4wheeldave.

Rope_Wrench wrote:
Just out of curiosity, which brands still have plastic? As far as I know, these are the only ones still with plastic backing.

Depend with tabs(suck)
Abena level 4s
Attends classic
Molicare super
Tranquillity ATN and slimline
Wings (suck)
XPMedical's brand. ...

Ok ... I'm confused ... I thought the European Tena Slip Maxi were plastic backed. The last batch I got a couple of months ago from XP Medical were plastic backed. Are they now cloth backed?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:43 am 

I would guess the maxi will be cloth now but it's the Tena plus and Tena super that I received last week. I think they have only just changed so if you got yours a couple of months ago they were probably old stock.

4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:41 am 

Alainaluvsu wrote:

Some days I'm bedridden, and so I went out and got these. XP Medical touted them as being wonderful. Are they great for when you can't get out of bed and you're laying on your side? I had Molicare before and those leaked out of the side while I was on my bed. I was so mad and I had to get out of bed (which is completely awful when you're going through dizzy spells and photosensitivity) so that my roommate could change my sheets and tend to my mattress (so embarrassed over that).

I wet BIG sometimes and once it starts it hurts to cut off. Some days I only go 2 times (my bladder likes to tell me it is full when it's about to burst at times) Also, I'm kinda broke... can one of these last a full day? Are they comfortable wet? It kinda defeats the purpose if it's going to disturb me every time I'm wet to get out of bed to change myself (which REALLY sucks on my bad days).

I hate to be pushy but I was just curious on my question from you guys' point of view :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:15 am 

Have read your post a few times and sounds like your really struggling with it all a bit like I was last February when I was catheterized. Is a catheter something you would consider.
Sounds like you may not be getting the bladder full signal until your in pain a catheter would sort that one out.
I don't think any diaper could last a whole day I was using at least 5 before the cath.
I still think Tena is a good product and the Maxi I tried some time ago was very good.
You could buy some booster inserts it's what I used to use you can fit two in a maxi and it should give you an hour or two longer between changes.
If you are only going twice a day you might need to drink more not less but this will lead to more wetting I know.

Hope the Tena does good and you get sorted.

4wheeldave.