www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:37 am 

TLJ, Spending about $150.00 a year on plastic pants is a lot better than spending $1.20/diaper x 4/day x 365 days = $1,752.00/Year! And, you never run out of diapers. Even with washing and drying it really adds up. You seem a bit obsessive though washing every day. I wash about every 5-6 days. I do use disposables because at times they are just so convenient. I very rarely have any leaking at night with cloth also. Days are days, disposable or cloth it is all about timing and circumstances ie. traffic, being able to change, what we drink, etc. After dealing with this for years I think most here have a handle on most of that. BUT, inevitably we do get caught occasionally with bad luck. Such is life! Papa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:08 pm 

[quote="Papa"]. You seem a bit obsessive though washing every day. I wash about every 5-6 days.

The reason I wash diapers daily is because my adult size diaper pail is full. My full pail equals a full up washing machine. Our machine has a heavy duty capacity. I have to wear pretty thick diapers as I do not leak or dribble. Even when I attempt to empty my bladder frequently, when I go, it is gush! I change often to prevent rash.

The other factor is my wife. She says there is almost no odor when daily washing.

This routine has been going on for the better part of my 65 years. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:23 am 

I used to rely on the heaviest diapers I could find for nighttime protection. However, getting them clean and keeping the "funky" odor at bay was difficult. I find the doubling up on lighter diapers gives me the same absorbency, but the diapers launder better and dry quicker.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:40 pm 

Patrick wrote:
I used to rely on the heaviest diapers I could find for nighttime protection. However, getting them clean and keeping the "funky" odor at bay was difficult. I find the doubling up on lighter diapers gives me the same absorbency, but the diapers launder better and dry quicker.

I have a dozen or more of the very thick prefolded nighttime cloth diapers. They are nice in that one will do easily but they take a couple of dryings. I had stopped using them until recently. My wife suggested I use them again as they were a bit expensive and since I have them she thinks I need to utilize them. Just don't buy more. :D

For the most part, I wear Purity 44" x 44" cloth flat diapers in the four layer. I have some 2 layer but they are a bit thin for my gushers.

I find the 4 layer comfortable and discrete. I can not recall anyone saying anything to me as an adult. As a boy growing up it was a different thing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:37 am 

TLJ, The use of a small amount of bleach totally takes care of any odors. I also understand your problem drying the really thick cloth diapers. I have a clothes line in the basement and if my diapers do not dry after one cycle (which only happens with the thick ones) I just hang them up. I also like using them because as you said - never a worry - never. Papa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:17 pm 

Papa wrote:
TLJ, The use of a small amount of bleach totally takes care of any odors. I also understand your problem drying the really thick cloth diapers. I have a clothes line in the basement and if my diapers do not dry after one cycle (which only happens with the thick ones) I just hang them up. I also like using them because as you said - never a worry - never. Papa

Thanks for your post papa. We do use bleach with every load. We used to always use hot water but have found using hot/cold works just fine. I have been doing this all of my life so the morning diaper washing is part of our daily routine.

We do not have a basement and CCRs do not allow line drying out of doors. We just run them a second time or hang them over the shower door in the bathroom.

I generally hand wash my plastic pants and hang them in the shower. I purchased a folding rack that will hold about a dozen pair from the shower head. Normally I was on one or two. I wash them out when showering. They stay fresh smelling and last longer than machine washing and drying.

When the weather is not hot, I wear a onesie. This was my wife's idea. She was always checking to make sure my plastics were not sticking out the back of my pants. They work great to keep everything in place and help eliminate sagging of wet diapers until a change is convenient. I wash and dry these with my regular wash.