www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:10 am 

My wife and I made me a set of contour cloth diapers. I only use them at night, so I have six. Two are flannel with a Terry cloth core. The other 4 are all Terry. Some fit better than others, and the flannel ones aren't thick enough for night use unless I wear both. We made the Terry cloth ones are up to 4 layers thick in the front.

I have to admit that they stink after a single wetting, almost immediately. I have stripped them in the washer by turning the heat on the water heater all the way up, washing the diapers once normally, rewashing with a small quantity on dawn dish detergent, and washing them a third time with no detergent to clear out any residual soap. that fixes the problem, but only for about 2 weeks.

I think that my problems boil down to two things. We made the diapers too thick, so they don't want to wash out completely. My washer doesn't have an option for a second rinse, and the rinse cycle is always cold.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:36 pm 

Would anyone have any suggestions on cloth diapers to try. I have mild cerebral palsy so my fine motor control isn't great. I don't see myself having success with diaper pins. I see myself using a hook and loop style or a pull on. What would people suggest as best use. Does anyone recommend any particular brand.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:43 pm 
Admin

Howdy chipmunk

I use cloth diapers from Angelfluff diaper company and they work real good and easy to use with the velcro.
I still have some that I will wear during the day around home.

http://www.angelfluff.com/adultclothdiapers.htm

Right now im using the Gauze prefold, but they do require use of pins.

http://www.angelfluff.com/nfGAUZEprefolded.htm

Schoppy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:58 pm 

Add me to the Angel Fluff list. They will add the velcro to your diapers for a small fee. totally worth it. Something else to look at though is with CP, will you be able to tuck the covers to get better protection? Food for thought.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:42 pm 

My cp is pretty mild. I can do most things. I'm assuming adult diaper puns or similar to infant ones I've seen. Which means I could do after lots of annoyance and frustration. I'm just starting to explore cloth diapers. I'm not sure what is meant by tucking. I could probably do it though. Still pretty clueless about a lot of this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:09 pm 

Go to the main site here(not the forums) and look at the Diaper Primer. Number 9a and it is a VERY GOOD picture version on how to pin a cloth diaper. I learned most there.

http://www.incontinentsupport.org/chap9a.php

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:17 pm 

Good luck with cloth diapers. I switched from pins to something called a Snappi fastener. I get them along with cloth diapers from Changing Times at http://www.changingtimesdiaperco.com/categories.php. The Snappi fasteners are easier and quicker than pins for me to use and keep everything snug. Hope you find a solution that works for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:56 pm 

I've read about snappies. How much stretch do they have? Since my cloth are home made they are relativity semetrical, ie they pin on the hips, not the front. Given that my waist is about 40", I would have to stretch them 20". Does that seem possible?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:33 pm 

Twenty inches would be expecting too much. My waist is about 37 inches. I use regular large and extra large prefolds and have a fair amount of overlap in the front. This seems to provide a more comfortable fit on hips. The size 2 snappies stretch out as they are used but do not lose their elasticity. Several I have are out to about 9-10 inches un-streatched and go to 12-13 inches when applied. They hold the waist of the diaper better than pins and do not seem to loosen up and sag as diaper gets wet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:37 pm 

I am currently using Purity flat cloth diapers. I buy the 4 ply in 44"x44" so I can fold as I want. I have never really had any odor problems from being diapered.

I place wet diapers in an adult diaper pail and wash them daily. I usually fill it in one day. I find keeping dry prevents diaper rash! Anyway, my wife and I wash them with regular laundry detergent and bleach. Bleach is the key. One time while staying with our son and his family, I was using their machine and no bleach. I soon noticed odor! Rarely di we double rinse them.

I wash out my plastic pants in the shower and hang them to dry. Works great and is not in anyone's way.

Cloth diapers have always worked great form me. I estimate mine last about 10 years. I do have a lot of them so that helps. I probably go through 8 - 12 pair of plastic pants per year at the most.