www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:15 am 

I am urinary incont and I have been using disposables 24/7. I am a side sleeper so the problem I am having is leaks during the night. I have bought some flat cloth diapers from angelfluff.com however, they smell horrible after 8 - 10 hours wearing / using at night.

I am a heavy wetter so I have come to terms that bulk is not an issue, my main goal is not to leak at night.

My question is: who / what /where are the best contour cloth diapers out there? Preferably price friendly :D however, I have quickly learned that low prices and good protection do not go hand-in-hand.

Secondly - what are some suggestions for the strong smell when wearing cloth? I have shaved my diaper area which has helped when wearing disposables but doesnt seem to help when wearing cloth.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:56 pm 
Admin

I myself have not used any contour cloth, I just layered and folded myself when I did use the pin on style, but the all in one is easier. As for suppliers, here are a few...
http://www.adultclothdiaper.com/
http://www.changingtimesdiaperco.com/In ... 8_cat.html
http://www.lovingcomfort.com/adultprod.htm
http://www.babykins.com/
As far as odor, I also noticed that to be an issue. Hot water washing helps, along with a second rinse. A Google search for stripping cloth diapers should give you some answers, there may be some posts on the Forum here about it as well. I am sure some others that use contoured cloth diapers will add to this for you, Puffy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:27 pm 

Another cloth diaper supplier is Baby Pants. Don't let the name fool you. They have quality cloth diapers available in birdseye, twill and gauze cotton weaves, I have not tried their contour diapers but I do know they are available in at least 2 of the weaves. I purchased a half dozen of the birdseye diapers almost a year and a half ago. I am very pleased with them. They have been washed at least a hunderd times and are still in good condition. I recently purchased a dozen of their twill weave diapers to replace some of my older cloth diapers. So far I'm pleased with the twill weave. Very soft and absorbant.

I've used cloth diapers from several different companies. They all did the job just fine. For the money though I have to say that you can't go wrong with the cloth diapers from Baby Pants. They are the least expensive cloth diapers I've found and one of the best I've used.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:54 am 

Regarding the funky odor that cloth diapers can pick up; I have always gone against the "no bleach" rule that all the diaper makers stand by. I use only a third of a cup of bleach in the last few minutes of the wash cycle and that works for me. Any time that I have stopped using bleach and resorted to the "better" methods such as a vinegar rinse, the odor would return. I know of the "stripping" procedure, but I've never done it. And I can't say that my diapers have a shortened life due to the bleach; some are many years old and not ready for the rag bin just yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:43 pm 

Funky odor is a term I never would have associated with cloth diapers. I always double rinse my cloth diapers and maybe 3 times a year I strip them. This keeps them fresh smelling. I put wet diapers in a small scented disposable bag and then in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid that seals tight. I keep a stick-up deoderizer in the pail. When the pail gets full it is time to do a load of diapers. A full pail is a large load in the washing machine. My wife hasn't complained of any funky diaper odors in a long time now. Every few months I notice a stronger than usual odor after wetting. This is my que to start boiling water to strip them of the residue build up. It isn't so much the urine that causes the nasty odors but rather the detergent residue that builds up over time or so I've been told.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:30 am 

Has anyone tried using a diaper service compnay? It seems like a LOT of hassle to wash cloth diapers if you use them 24/7.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:53 am 

Hell, yeah, it is a hassle....but diaper laundry falls into the chore category,.....just something you need to do every day or every other day, if you choose the benefits of wearing cloth diapers. And we can take a break now and then, by wearing disposable diapers.....at least I do!

And it does seem like a diaper service would be the way to go, but there "aren't any" for the most part. They went away many moons ago as mothers went away from cloth diapers for the convenience of disposables. A few incons were lucky enough to snap up a diaper service back then.....as most that offered baby diaper service would also offer adult diaper service.

As for current times, there just are not enough incons wearing cloth diapers to make a diaper service a viable business in this day and age. And mothers who have come back to cloth diapers are not numerous enough for diaper service to be a viable business.....alas....supply and demand rules.....no demand, so no supply!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:50 pm 

For a long time I've been having a reaction to the chemicals used in the manufacturing of disposables. I've used special Rx cream that work ok for a few years but is no longer effective. My dermatologist recommend that I use cloth as much as possible. There is a baby diaper service that is able to launder adult cloth diapers but I would need to provide all the cloth diapers needed. Not cheap......I would have to buy about 2 dozen more cloth diapers if I wanted to use this service but it might be worth doing since I would no longer have the hassle of washing diapers all the time. I'm a disabled vet, and I checked with the VA and they would pay for the service but I'm still checking if they would also pay for the purchase of cloth diapers.

The use of cloth diapers really makes a difference in my skin so I've been using them now 24/7 for the last 10 days where before I only used them part time when the skin irritation got really bad, or I was in need of an extended wear diaper. They are comfortable, and very absorbent and show very little, or no bulk during day wear. Maybe,....it would save a LOT of hassle and if the VA pays for everything I don't see how I can lose by trying.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:15 pm 

What kind of absorbency do cloth diapers have

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:01 pm 

The absorbency from my experience depends on how thick the diaper is. I am still fairly new to the world of cloth diapers and the only thing I have used is flannel but I can get anywhere from 5 to 13 or more hours. Now, the lighter weight diapers have fordarts use will get me about 5 hours. The reason so little iI will go with a thinner weight to be less bulky and noticeable under my clothes. The ones I use for night I have gone 13 hours in. I had to stop at 13I because i needed to change to go out or else it could have been longer. I now have some in between those two weights that are better for me to sleep in because they are a little less bulky not that the others were uncomfortable.
I got mine from Angel Fluff diaper company andI have the M9's, H9's and EH9's. You can go to there sight to see the fabric weight differences. Oh and just an FYI, I have wore both the heaver weight diapers out in public since I got use to them and felt they are not too bulky to be worn in public. I am just less self concence when they are thinner.

t