www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pullups
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:33 am 

Hi I wear regular diapers but expeirment with pull ups. Can anyone give me recomendations on pullups. I am a heavy wetter so looking for most absorbant. I have found a store brand that works much better than depend(odviously) but am quite sure internet has better ones. With regular diapers I use the plastic backed abena M4. Thank you for any input

Post subject: Re: pullups
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:46 pm 

The Abena Abriflex Extra and the Tranquility Overnite Super are probably the two most absorbent pull-ups sold in North America. However, I have heavy urge incontinence and have found that even these top-of-the-line pull-ups are not absorbent enough for me. So I guess it will depend on what you mean when you're a heavy wetter. I need a high-capacity tape-on diaper, such as the Abena M4 (which is what I generally wear), the Dry 24/7, or the Bambino Bianco.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:28 pm 

Abena Abriflex Extra works best for me with unpredictable, sometimes heavy gushing, but I do not have complete and constant incontinence. Tranquility Overnight is second best for me. Abena is more expensive and thicker/bulkier, but its overall dimensions are smaller to pack or carry around. It rarely leaks and does not feel wet, which may be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on how you look at the issue. Tranquility is less expensive and thinner, but larger to carry around and tends to feel wet once soiled. It doesn't leak much for me, but more often than Abena.

Because of dexterity problems, and the fact that I am not always incontinent, it would be more difficult to use briefs or any other products requiring fasteners. Pull-ons are easy to remove by tearing the seams. They are not easy to actually change quickly in a public restroom, as one must remove pants and shoes. Very often I can get through several hours without having to do that. If it's gotten to the point that I must remove the pull-on, often I'm within an hour or so of getting to a place where I can change in privacy, and i can go without for that long.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:29 am 

I agree with the recommendation for Abri-Flex Extra pull ups..... I feel they are top notch.

Zenute brings up the big disadvantage of any pull up when you have to change it...undressing. If bulk were not a problem I suggest wearing two pair of pull ups. They are thin when dry so only the inner one will bulk up as it gets wet, the outer pull up will / should remain thin as it stays dry. When you have to change, pull the outer one down, rip off the side seams and remove the inner wet one and pull the outer one back up and you are good to go. Pants and shoes can stay on!

Zenute also brings up dexterity problems which trouble many people and make changing a hassle. If you do not have a dexterity problem, consider the size 6 baby diaper slung into your pull up and change it every so often to keep the pull up pretty much dry. I can get 3 hours, usually, with a baby diaper. If you need to "keep going", a fresh baby diaper can be slipped in.... or, if you are close to going home time...you can just ditch the baby diaper and go the rest of the way with the pull up.

The same technique works well with a tape on diaper, but the tape on is much snugger with no elastic, compared to the stretchy pull up. Removal of the wet baby diaper is not too bad...but inserting a fresh one into a taped on diaper can be a chore. Most of the time the use of just one baby diaper will extend my diaper wear time sufficiently and so I am only faced with removal.

Also keep in mind a used and rolled up baby diaper is not unusual to see in rest room trash, compared with adult incon products.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:22 am 

Well I sampled both abena and tranquility. Unfortuanetly I gave them my waiste size and both brands were toooooO small. I still wore them and they seemed good, but just too small so a little hard to tell. I hope they will aend another sample order in a bigger size.