www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:33 pm 

Hi all have been a member for yrs and fighting incontinence for yrs.I decided to order cloth diapers from Adult diaper co. read the diaper primmer close and tried the diapers during the day around the house because was affraid to jump in at night.I put several soakers in the diaper but it still got wet on the outside is this normal and dose the pants vinly keep the bed dry?

Post subject: Re: Help
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:53 pm 
Admin

Hi Ron, it seems that everyone is a bit different with cloth at night, but they do seem to work best when you figure it all out, if you soaked through, then more stuffers/layers will help with that, but they can only take so much if there is not enough layers. I add more then I figure I will need if things happen in the night, depending on intake of course, and even add in the hip area as I am primarily a side sleeper, had a few leaks at the beginning of my useage, but rare now that I get anything leaking but me! Good luck, keep us posted on your progress! Puffy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:49 am 

It's been a very long day so I'm not sure I read that right.

Are you using the cloth diapers without waterproof pants? If you do they will always leak. The cloth diapers themselves are absorbent but they wick the moisture to anything that is touching them. Vinyl pants that completely encase the cloth will stop most leaks if there is enough fabric to absorb the quantity out output.

If I did misunderstand and you are using vinyl cover pants then you may need to add a few more layers and experiment until you find what works for you the best.

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:23 am 

Good point, SeattleDoug, I would not have thought of that! It's easy to assume people know you must wear plastic pants over cloth diapers but when you read so often that plastic pants are optional (as is the case of the more widely used disposable diapers), it is certainly possible to think cloth diapers work the same way.

So, Ron, I will join with SeattleDoug in checking with you to see if you are wearing vinyl plastic pants over the cloth diapers you just got from Adult Cloth Diaper, as the plastic pants are an absolute necessity. You already mentioned you added "several soakers and the diaper still got wet on the outside" which leads me to think you may not be wearing plastic pants over the diaper.

As an aside, I hope you got "easy to wear" cloth diapers, such as pull on diaper pants or Vecro on diapers to avoid the hassle of diaper pins. For anyone just starting out trying cloth diapers I do not recommend the hassle of pinning on prefold diapers! And many who do try cloth are disposable diaper wearers who will continue to wear disposables by day but want better protection for overnight, especially side sleepers who have little success keeping the bed dry while wearing disposables.

A pull on cloth diaper or a Velcro tabbed cloth diaper is pretty similar to a disposable and so an easier transition to the world of cloth diapers. For overnight, I think either type of cloth diaper is going to require extra layers, be they soakers or a prefold diaper you fold into thirds and sling into the pull on or Velcro on diaper. And again, you must wear plastic pants over any combination of cloth diapers you wear.

Please do let us know how you are making out and if we can offer any further help....we want you to be comfortable and feel secure without the worry of leaks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:14 pm 

Hi all sorry to have leftout where I use waterproof pants still I seem to be doing something, wrong or does the diaper soak it up?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:14 am 

Ron,
Tell us exactly what diaper(s) you got from Adult Cloth Diaper and how many are you are wearing and what are the "several soakers" you mentioned, how many exactly are you adding to the diaper or diapers.

I ask you this as ACD offers a lot of different diapers and soakers in various weights.

Cloth diapers can offer great protection but you need "enough" to do the job and that can be more bulky than a lot of folks want to wear or put up with.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:40 pm 

one thing to think of if you are used fabric softener thats a no no
use white vinegar in rinse softener will repel fluids that causes pooling
if the waterproof cover is too tight you will get leaks
strip the diaper by washing 2 or 3 times hot water

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:53 pm 

The diapers nighttime prefold brideye.The soakers are baby diapers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:17 pm 
Admin

Just keep adding layers until you have enough, and if you cut back on the fluids in the PM that mey also help minimize the output. I get by well with cloth at night, but don't drink a ton either, just enough to not get dehydrated, Puffy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:44 am 

Puff is right about adding cloth to get the absorbancy needed but if you getting into a "lot" of soakers, then try wearing two of your night time pre fold birdseye diapers, instead of just one and a bunch of soakers (baby diapers).

Overlap the wings of the two diapers to make pinning easier. The extra thickness / bulk should not be a problem for sleeping.

I think you said you got your plastic pants from Adult Cloth Diaper and so I think they are going to be roomy enough for a double diaper.