www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:26 am 

So over the past few years my incontinenc has gotten worse at night. Which leads me for the search of better night time protection. I currently have been using abri-form l4. Is there a better night time diaper out there?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:40 am 

I use BetterDry at night and very rarely have any leaks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:19 am 

I suggest adding inserts for extra absorbency rather than moving to BetterDry which uses a lot more SAP than M4/L4 and so won't let the urine spread around the brief but trap it near where it comes out. BetterDry are also a lot more expensive per unit while inserts (I use Lille's) are cheaper.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:49 am 

I use a folded 100% cotton cloth (actually a WalMart Mainstays Flour Sack Towel) inside of my night diaper. The pad absorbs liquid much faster than a disposable pad and then transfers the wetness to the diaper. A big plus is that it can be folded to fit where you need it the most and you can use two if needed. In the morning I simply rinse the cloth out and hang to dry. Since it is very thin it drys super quick unlike the cloth boosters pads which are usually sewed together and take forever to dry. Then I put them in the hamper to be washed later. I have been using this system for years and had virtually no leaks at all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:34 am 

Because of my ataxia and balance issues, getting up at night is threatening. Heavy cloth, using multiple layers, securely pinned, with a polyurethane overpant is both a necessity and a convenience. Vacations, when I am forced to use disposables, can be difficult.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:44 pm 

Figuring out the problem and a solution requires a little more information. Is the L4 saturated in the morning or are you getting leaks and wicking from the legs or waist? If the garment is saturated then you need more capacity which can be provide with a different product or an insert. If you are experiencing wicking but the L4 is particularly saturated the addition of a cover (plastic or PUL pant) may solve the problem. The other common issue is fit. If the L4 is a little too small or too large you won't get good results.

I use the Abena L4 with a plastic pant at night. This combination works for me. Without the plastic pant I tend to get wicking leaks. I have several pairs of the Gary PUL pants and they work but the cut does work very well for me at night.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:26 pm 

It is definitely a capacity problem. I will end up leaking out the back of the diaper. Luckily my wife has bought some very nice mattress covers. I really don't like the idea of covers I already despise wearing a diaper. Having to wear another layer is not a very pleasant idea for me. Size is just about right mediums are to small and xl would rap around me twice.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:41 pm 

If what you need is a very high capacity disposable, I recommend either the Rearz Inspire+ or the InControl Hybrid. Both products have claimed capacities of about 5 litres. They won’t hold that much in practice, but they’re good for about 3 litres, white is probably more than you produce during the night. Either brand should get you through the night even if you have a couple of cans of beer during the evening.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:37 am 

I wear Betterdry. I agree with Humanfly (urine doesn’t spread around the diaper). However, where I live it’s very difficult to find diapers with plastic backing. I used to wear ID slip but they are now only available with cloth-like backing. As I’m a heavy wetter at night, I’m experiencing wicking. I can wear plastic pants over the diaper but I don’t like it, especially when it’s hot.
On the contrary I prefer cloth-like backing for daytime use.