www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:19 am 

It is great to find others that have the same issue that I have at night. It is the most strange thing I thought that I was alone and I was going a bit crazey. Kakapo I feel the same as you at the moment sometimes I just shrug my shoulders and other times I feel angry that I have been given this condition. I hope over time I will accept who I am and even start to come to terms with being incontinent however at the moment I am in a daze and on the steep learning curve to adapt to diaper changes, cleaning, hygiene etc. Anyway I am glad that I am amoung friends here and this will help with my transition.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:30 am 

WetDad wrote:
Like most here, I have tried hard to stay active. I tried the disposable underwear in the beginning because the store shelves were full of that stuff. Everyone must be using it right? I quickly grew tired of having to change by removing my shoes and pants, and went to pads. Many embarrassing leaks later, the pads grew in size until they became as expensive as the diapers I was avoiding. Now I wear the diapers and do not worry at all about leaking.

This allows me to stay active at work and at home. I sail, mountain bike, and enjoy a variety of activities with our children. For work, I travel on an almost weekly basis and airport security is no big deal. They really don't care what I have on underneath.

Incontinence is nothing to suffer, I just manage it and go on living. I have made a few concessions, but I feel that they are minor. Let us know how you're doing, and no question is too weird we've all been there before.

Wetdad,
we are much alike, I ride mountain bike as well, I feel great when I really have been pushing myself. Especially as it gives me some hours in which my bladder doesn't play tricks on me due to sweating a lot during the ride.
But then everything gets back to normal.

However one question You say you travel a lot, so do I, how do you plan for travels and what about business meetings, do you change in such cases? I'm still trying to figure out what to do, how I discreetly can carry a diaper with me and change it without anyone noticing. since it's a bit suspicious when a guy takes a bag with him to the restroom....
I have not informed my employer about me dealing with incontinence, as I fear it might have a negative impact on my career. I know they are not allowed to fire you because of a disability which doesn't influence your work performance, however We all know about them finding other reasons for it....

BTW I work as a purchaser so it involves some traveling.
Until now, I have been able to deal with it by using heavier protection, but -I would rather be able to use more discrete protection instead. I'm just not mentally ready for admitting my incontinence to anyone besides my wife and doctor. It still is very embarrassing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:19 pm 

NotTheAverageMan wrote:
Wetdad,
How do you plan for travels and what about business meetings, do you change in such cases? I'm still trying to figure out what to do, how I discreetly can carry a diaper with me and change it without anyone noticing. since it's a bit suspicious when a guy takes a bag with him to the restroom....
I have not informed my employer about me dealing with incontinence, as I fear it might have a negative impact on my career. I know they are not allowed to fire you because of a disability which doesn't influence your work performance, however We all know about them finding other reasons for it....

BTW I work as a purchaser so it involves some traveling.
Until now, I have been able to deal with it by using heavier protection, but -I would rather be able to use more discrete protection instead. I'm just not mentally ready for admitting my incontinence to anyone besides my wife and doctor. It still is very embarrassing.

NTAM,
I would *never* consider telling any employer about my health issues- SCOTUS decisions recently have made that clear. That said, I have traveled for many years for work on a weekly basis and find the following to work very well.
    * Keep a diaper in my laptop case at all times. Nobody thinks it odd to leave a meeting with my laptop and stop at the restroom on the way to the next meeting or lunch...
    * Pack enough for the week in my carry-on case.
    * Change into a fresh one just before boarding, taking it from my carry-on case. If my bag gets checked and lost, I still have the one in my laptop bag.
    * Find chemist/drug stores near your regular travel locations for when you run out, stay longer or can't pack enough.
    * For long trips, (multi-week) I Google ahead and find a local retail source for diapers. Then I stop on the way from the airport to hotel.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:38 pm 

Interesting I am not the only one. I guess relatively dry nights are a sliver of hope
Amongst all the other issues I have dealt with.
I almost daily leak/dribble sometimes not real noticeably. There are few periods and days the dribbling and leaking is virtually non-existent but those days I won't risk going without much protection.
Sometimes I feel slight urge to uronate - maybe little bit of pressure in bladder and then few moments later
I notice some warm wet feeling around my groin. Other times if I am bit busy I don't notice much other than a like trickling sound in background and maybe some warmth.
If I get moderately anxious I notice things tend to fluctuate rapidly and more drastically like I had couple flood and more major leakage.
But at night thankfully it seems to largely be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:31 pm 

So, not to take over an old thread, but I hope in the OP's absence he doesn't mind me answering a previous question here regarding the Botox.

Unfortunately it really doesn't work- overall. I've had Urge incontinent in the past (more on that in my "an introduction" post), but never wet at night unless I would wake up with a powerful urge to go. I have had the botox injections, both in my bladder wall lining (for detrusor muscles), and directly into my internal and external sphincter the second time. This was supposed to be for calming my bladder and/or make it easier for me to get to the bathroom and actually be able to go.

The bladder wall injections did calm my bladder down at first. This was a complete success that lasted for about two months. You can only get the injections every three months though, so it only works about 66% of the time (for me at least). Unfortunately it also had a bad side effect and also deadened and tightened my sphincter muscles. This made it so I couldn't go pee to save my life and I had to be catheterized for about the two months it continued to affect me. It was not the treatment I was promised and did not work as advertised.

The sphincter injections also did not make it easier for me to pee. It was the exact opposite of what I was promised and instead of calming my sphincters this too (and once again) deadened and tightened them. I again had to be catheterized for about two months and simply did not work as advertised.

While it does wear off with no lasting effects, it often does not last the entire three months as promised which leaves you with one out of every three months having to deal with your original problem. In addition to this, repeated botox injections will make the body build up a resistance. It will last shorter and shorter the more often you get it done. Botox is simply not a long-term solution for urinary issues, nor does it work as good as advertised.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:57 pm 

Wow!! I hadn't seen this thread before now and I thought that maybe I was the only one with (mostly) daytime incontinence. I kind of hate to say this but it's quite a relief to find out others have the same thing. During the day I have significant after urination leakage and have also developed some urge incontinence, but it only seems to happen during the day. To contain these issues I use a combination of tape-up briefs and guard pads and this has worked very well for me. My doctor feels that my urinary problems are most probably a result of my slowly worsening BPH, but that (and the Doc) doesn't/can't really explain why it really only occurs during the day.

BTW...I have had some nighttime leakage and wetting issues and while rare (3-4 times a year), I feel I have to wear significant protection (tape-up briefs, cotton pad and Gary PUL pants) just in case. Interestingly once I did start to wear protection at night I (much to my surprise) instantly started to sleep much much better as I was no longer worried if "this would be the night".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:20 am 

Facing the same issue (urge, heavier during the day) and I thought it was unusual as most people are talking about night-wetting. The night wetting is lighter (less urine produced at night) and spreads better in the diaper, so is less wet in the morning despite one or two wetting when I wake up. What I do is to wait a little in the morning (I work from home) and then change at 9-10 for a fresh diaper, which sometimes even last the whole day if I can use the toilet several time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:41 pm 

Hello, I'm new here and I have both day and night incontinence, but it's much more of a bigger problem during daytime. To be honest, I don't even care that much about it at night, I'm sleeping with diaper for quite some time already and it doesn't bother me already, except for additional money to be spent on diapers, but during day it is quite annoying. I also love riding a bike and working out at gym and I've noticed great improvement with my bladder control during those activities, although as other people here everything gets back to normal pretty soon, that's why I keep doing a lot of activities and I actually tend to be as busy in life as I can, then somehow the frequency of my "accidents" is much lower, also getting rid of stress as much as possible can help too.