www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:51 am 

hi,

I am a woman from the Netherlands and I found this website and forum quite by accident when googling for product reviews a couple of days ago.
I have read a bit more now and I am quite impressed by the very good and factual information that you give! I am particularly happy about the statement in the primer that 'We will not be "politically correct" here' - somehow all that concealed talking that people do is making things only worse.

I am not new to incontinence or, specifically, enuresis / bed-wetting. I have never known anything else. However, compared to what I have read, my problem is not very severe even though it has had its impact on my life.

I have a form of episodic enuresis: it occurs every now and then that I cannot keep things dry at night.
This typically lasts for a few days only. It occurs a couple of times every year, usually around my period (though not every month). This suggests that there is some hormonal factor involved, but every medical tests has been inconclusive.
Next to enuresis, I also have inattentive ADD (ADHD-i) which is basically a developmental neurological condition. One of the urologists that I have seen told me that there is also a neurological component to my bedwetting problem. He explained it as that not all brain functions mature in the same degree in everyone, and in my case some of the wiring that is involved in "staying dry overnight" is a bit shaky. That does make some sense, because there are a couple of other ways in which I matured later than usual or not fully. Nothing apart from 'being a bit different', rather chaotic, very absent-minded and prone to excessive daydreaming, though :)

As a child, these bedwetting episodes have given the most trouble because of all the failed attempts of my parents to manage it. Of course I wasn't aware at the time what caused this problem, and being unable to find a cure and / or a cause was probably the worst part of it. It felt like a continuous failing. I remember very well the mixed feeling of relief and 'being a bit of a failure' that I had when they finally accepted that they couldn't find a solution but that it also wasn't because I didn't try hard enough or something like that.

After that (I was around 10 years old) they still looked into possibilities that seemed promising, and I have continued to do that myself. But I'm having ever more doubts if it is worth going through the medical mills time and again. After all, my problem is relatively easy to manage. I have been aware when there is a bedwetting episodes due almost from the beginning, because I can sort of feel it. As a child, I described it as a "buzzy feeling in my belly", as if it becomes hard to sense what is going on in there. An electronic analogy would be that there is "too much noise on the line" so that the signal gets lost. As long as I'm awake I can then usually still sense when I need to go to the washroom, but not when I am asleep.
Therefore I know up front if I need to take measures (wear a nighttime diaper).

(sorry, this is turning into quite a long story!)

The reason I was searching for product reviews is that I want to change from disposable products to reusable. That's because I have never been very happy with disposables, and also for environmental reasons.
I have used disposables since my parents accepted my bedwetting as something no-one could change at that time. I remember vaguely that, after a lot of frustration trying to cope with mattress covers and such, we tried using the regular kind of plastic pants & disposable diapers that my mother used for all of us as toddlers but supposedly the ones she could find turned out too small to fit a ten year old girl. After that I got some sort of large ugly greenish disposable diapers that came with a sort of netted elastic panties. My goodness, I hated those things. They were stuffy and lumpy and smelled horribly "medical" even when new, plus they did not even suffice all the time. Maybe that is even my worst memory in connection with all this: it was those disposables that, to my experience, turned me from a relatively carefree child into a patient.

As soon as I was old enough to have my own say I tried to find a better solution. Without success though: I remember asking at our pharmacy (in the Netherlands, that is where you can buy incontinence supplies) whether they had vinyl pants and diapers in my size. The lady who helped me looked at me as if I had asked for dried frog pills or something like that and she went on to explain to me that that was very old-fashioned and that nowadays, there were much better solutions - i.e. those disposables that I hated so much. But she was friendly enough and even looked through all the catalogues that they had, but without any success. It was all "disposable absorbent undergarments" advertised by friendly smiling "Mrs. Active Jane's" - with all due respect, not something that appeals a great deal to a 16 yr old girl.

That is why I can relate so well to that "political correctness" statement that I read here .. even back then I had the impression that for some reason, this whole area seemed to have been monopolised by the firm Niminy-Piminy whose only aspiration was to make the problem invisible; not to address it. It made me want to shout out something like "Hey, I am not an embarrassing problem that can only be whispered about in clinical terms behind closed doors! I am a real flesh-and-blood girl who happens to wet her bed :evil: And I don't need discreet products, I need some bulky large DIAPERS that can hold a night's worth and a couple of indiscreetly large comfortable plastic pants and I don't care if it looks like what babies wear as long as it works!"
But of course I didn't, though I wish I had :roll:

I'm really relieved that I found written down what I have been thinking by myself all the time .. I thought I was the only one.

At one time I did find some vinyl pants, but they were no good at all. The plastic was stiff and the elastics pinchy and too narrow. It's been like this all the time .. sometimes I got the spirit and looked all over the place hoping to find something better but when I failed I just left it there again for a few years. But now things seem to have changed .. there seems to be more available than ever; maybe there is also more openness from the side of the people themselves. It looks like things are developing in a good way.
The only thing that I find confusing now is that there is so much available that it is hard to figure out what is good, and what not.
I hope that I can find some good advice here.
Thanks for reading this far .. it's been quite a stretch.

:) - Maria

Post subject: New to the Board
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:03 pm 

Maria,
Welcome to the forum board here, and thanks for your first post. It was a little long, but you had a lot to say, so don't worry about it.

You have come to the right place for help in any incontinence subject. I myself use reusable(cloth) diapers at night and disposables during the day when I work. At home on weelends, I'm in a cloth diaper. Being from the Netherlands, you have a problem finding anything usefull over there. Most incontinent websites will ship overseas. You may pay a little more in shipping, but you get what is a good product. This site has some good links to websites that carry a full range of reusable diapers along with plastic panties. As you check out these sites and see what they have to offer, feel free to ask on the board for some suggestions. We are all here to help you out.

We have one active female on this site by the name of Sandy. She is a real jewel, and we all love her to death on this site. She has a lot of good suggestions on disposable, but she doesn't do a lot with cloth diapers much any more. I did get her started for a little while, but she hates the washing. I do too, but I love the comfort of cloth and the absorbancy of cloth.

Thanks again for your post, and we look forward hearing from you again!!! ......Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:31 pm 

thank you for the welcome, Paul Martin!

Yes, I was aware that my message kept growing even as I wrote it. It happens because everything that I think of mentioning needs some or other background or explanation, or it branches out sideways by association.
Even now I feel that there is a lot that I haven't said .. well, maybe it is also because I hardly ever talked about this before and it is kind of a liberating sensation.

:) these things to be mentioned are like very eager children in a classroom after the teacher asked for a volunteer to wipe the board: "Me! Me!" "I was first!" "No! I was!" "I wanna!" - etc.

I have not looked around the forum enough to have any idea about how many members there are, but I am a bit surprised that there's only one other active woman on (I just looked) 500 users. I know that that is not representative for the prevalence of incontinence / enuresis .. do you know why there are so few women? I registered on one other forum that seemed ok and respectful but I haven't read a great deal there either.

I'll definitely try cloth diapers. I've wanted to try that for years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:19 pm 
Admin

Hello Maria, welcome to the site, I am sure you will find a ton of useful info here, as I did after I joined about 6 months ago... I know what you mean by saying that everything you type kind of needs explaining, and gets throw sideways and becomes almost a book by the time you have finished, I am like that too, even timed out on a few other boards (motorcycle related) because of that very issue... too funny, I thought I was the only one! like incon as well, what, other people have this problem too? :shock:

I believe there is a much more limited supply of cloth sites for overseas, as Wheels on this board just inquired about them too, I am sure he will chime in here sooner or later, and can maybe share with you what he found over there. I love them at night, much better absorbtion, and comfortable compared to disposables by a longshot! A bit pricey to buy, but once that is looked after, I noticed a savings right away, from 2-3 disposables a day on a good day, to 1 and if I am not leaving the house, none at all. The sites I went through were http://www.gabbys.net/ and http://www.babykins.com/index.htm but am not sure on the International shipping, you would have to inquire. When I went looking , a search for "adult cloth diapers" turned up several other sites as well. One thing I noticed is that you need a larger size coverpant for sure to give full coverage, and avoid leaks. It is a big world out there, makes you think that there has to be SOMEWHERE in the Netherlands that sells adult cloth incontinence supplies...
Feel free to ask any questions you have, and yes, talking about it, even online here, does help, I felt liberated as well after keeping it to myself for way too long. You are also correct on the men to women ratio... I think I have seen/chatted with 3-4 females so far, kind of thought it would be more balanced... Once again, welcome to the forum, :) Puffy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:43 pm 

Thanks Puffypants :)

This site is indeed very helpful. It is as if I have entered a rapids since I came here. I have learned a lot, and also my determination to finally find some form of protection that works has been re-kindled. For the first time now it seems like an attainable goal, but I'll suspend that judgement until I have actually tried out things.

I looked at a whole load of websites yesterday and today and decided to get some vinyl pants and cloth diapers from babykins and a Chinese site called "nicediaper.com". For some reason, I like that clumsy name (like "GoodProduct Hardware" or "Restaurant YummyFood" or "Honest Business Enterprises Plc.") but they really have some good reviews and they're very cheap (which is somewhat countered by high shipping costs).

Babykins does send overseas and even accepted PayPal, which is lucky bc. I don't have a credit card.

I'm very curious, but I'll have to wait a couple of weeks I suppose.
-m:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:49 pm 
Admin

Hey Maria, interesting site you found there out of China, they sure like their Hello Kitty prints, along with Snoopy! I just went with plain white, lol I could have been really styling! :shock: They were extra creative on their name as well, I like that too! What did it cost to ship to you in the Netherlands, I am sure it would be off the charts for N.America. You will like the Babykins cloth, they are my favorite, even if they take a bit to dry, I just get them started in the dryer for 15 minutes or so, then hang for the rest, saves on electricity. So much more comfortable then the old disposable I used to use, I am hooked... This site definetly has a lot of info in it, takes a while to sort through all the posts, but time well spent to gain the knowledge of those here that have been incontinent much longer then I have, although 15 years is plenty, it could stop anytime and I wouldn't complain! :lol: Well, time to go eat dinner, have a good rest of the week, and weekend! Puffy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:00 am 

Hi,
About that Chinese seller: I found their subdivision of the menu in one abdl menu item and then a couple of other items rather arbitrary.
But as far as sensible website design and usability goes, I've seen great examples of "How NOT to do it" in the past days :p

But also, that subdivision didn't make much sense to me anyhow. I have no idea in what sense abdl folk would differ from other customers as far as it concerns their choice of articles. Ok, maybe an average adult male incontinent person isn't very likely to buy a Hello Kitty designed article - but an incontinent woman might, just because she likes it and thinks it's cute.
I'm not such a great hello Kitty fan :) but I really like Charles Schulz' humour do maybe I'll keep the Snoopy option open :D

I actually forgot what I got there. I'll have to look it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:37 pm 
Admin

I have done htat already, forgotten what I got where, so I am glad I kept receipts and made notes on who/what and how well it works, will come in handy for future re-orders, when the time comes. Puffy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:03 pm 
Admin

Welcome to the forum Maria. You have had some good posts so far. Very interesting stuff. We need more discussions from women. Not too many of them on this site. Keep it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:24 am 

Hello Maria, and welcome to the forum.

I am another European woman on this forum, althoug i have not been on for a while. My problems started later in adult life, and after about a year of increasing leaks, I still have a long way to go in terms of accepting that this might be a long term thing, and that I have to wear daipers. (that word still bothers me)
Sandy is a true blessing with her dry humor and genuine care for others on the forum. Her posts have been a help for me, because she is so open and comfortable talking about her incontinets and how she deals with it.

It is good to see another woman here! The guys here are great, supportive and full og advise and thoughts. But sometimes it is good to have a woman to really understand whats going on with another woman. :)