www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: total incont
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:09 pm 
I have total incontinence, not just bladder but also bowel incontinence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:34 pm 

If "total incontinence" means urinary and fecal, I'm among that group too. My fecal incontinence is more or less under control by medication, etc. My urinary incontinence is of the "retention" type. I have to catheterize to empty my bladder. So far, I've never met someone with retention incont on any of the forums. David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:16 am 

Hi guys! New here. I have been paraplegic since 1983 and thus, at leats in theory doubly incontinent. However, bowels are always slow and I get away with it most of the time.

For urine, I have a supra-pubic catheter (inserted through the abdomen wall and this is working very well. I had this as the nerves were getting a bit muddle and when the bladder contracted the sphincters closed as well! No a good idea.

Obviously, I am a wheelchair user and I suppose over the years dealing with this rather annoying side effect of paralysis is not much of a problem except when something fails. I am very happy to share what I have learned over the years with others. The only thing I have not found to work is the diaper (nappy in the UK) as sitting down meams that the front portion gets wet and then overflows!

Post subject: nappies
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:39 am 
Wheelz wrote: .......sitting down meams that the front portion gets wet and then overflows!

I recommend you have a look at www.bambo.com for a wide variety of products made in Europe with a U.K. distributor. David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:57 pm 

Wheelz,

Hi! I'm new to the forums and just made my first post in the General section. Perhaps you could try what I've been doing? I just posted this...
Quote:
My current diapering strategy is to wear disposable diapers that I get from Sam's Club. To increase absorbency I insert a folded kitchen hand towel wrapped in soft birdseye. To keep it in place I wear an elastic waistband from old underwear as a belt and safety-pin through the waistband to the towel-diaper pad. It's pretty absorbent, but provides little in the way of nighttime/side protection. Right now, it's a cheap way to go.

Last edited by Kendal on Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:20 pm 

Thanks for the advice guys, but I am stuck with the spura-opubic catheter at present. I mentioned I have the annoying but not unusual problem with spinal cord damage where the sphincters close when the bladder contracts. It's calle sphicter dysinergy and or course means high pressure in the bladder and not much output. I An rather major leg spasms!)

I don't have a lot of coice at the present thougb I could, perhps talk my urologist into a stent, as small coil spring like device that sits in the sphincter holding it open.

Anyone who would likew help in this I am pleased to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:00 pm 

I am also urinary incontinent due to bladder sphincter dysnergia - I had surgery to implant a stent in my urethra and hold open my spihncter so that now I have a continual leakage. Before then I would catheterize - but I was having infections at the rate of one a month depsite my best efforts and taking an anti-biotic all the time. My problem was of uknown origin until a few years ago when they found a ruptured disk pressing against my spinal cord. I am also occasionally bowel incontinent due to IBS and also perhaps that same spinal cord pressure. I have come to prefer cloth diapers as they cost the least and I am able to stay home to keep up with the laundry - but I keep some Molicares on hand for special times like camp outs and long trips. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:54 pm 

I guess you could say I have total incontinence due to a genetic disease. In August, 1999, I had a urinary sphincterotomy, which ended years of intense bladder pain, but left me completely bladder incontinent. I am also bowel incontinent, and deal with that by careful dietary management and enemas. I use heavy cloth diapers and plastic pants at home, and disposables with plastic pants when I travel. I am always on the lookout to learn new incontinence management techniques, expecially regarding rash prevention and management. Carl

Post subject: Re: total incont
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:37 pm 

I'm a disabled mother with both bladder & bowel incontinence. I have several medical issues. At some point in the future We hope to go with the supra-pubic catheter option. I would love to manage a bowel program at some point too. After over 10 years it would be nice to get back out of diapers. If anything at least during the day. But there has always been more pressing medical issues. Medications interfering etc. My DR & nurses don't seem real concerned. My home care nurses assistant helps care for Me during the day. Has helped Me research the supra-pubic catheter option on the internet and has submitted a report and assesment to My Dr. But that was 7 months ago.