www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MS and incontinence
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:14 pm 

I suppose I ought to have posted this a while ago but ... Anyway, someone asked me about my problems so I thought I would add a post.

I was 34 in 1983 when I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and I had had various incidents of leaks and the like (night and day) for a couple of years before that. Actaully, by the time I was diagnosed, I was losing the use of my legs and have spent most of the time since wheelcahir bound. i get some relief from time to time and and walking now but have no idea for how long. I still need the wheelchair for any distance though my shoulders are on the way now as I am over 60 and have put some 25 years into pushing...

Back in 1983 in the UK there was only one medically recommended things for incontinence, the urinary sheath or condom (external catheter in the US). I used them for many years though m y skin broke down frequently on the glans of my penis and I had an indwelling catheter from time to time to heal it. I imagine terry squares were around but I never came across them.

By the 1990s I was still having skin and other problems and had a supra-pubic catheter inserted. This is a surgical prodedure in which a catheter is inserted through the abdomen into the bladder where it creates a channel and the catheter can be easily chaged from time to time. It is actually a very safe prodedure and I never had any infection problem. As I went int remission and started walking towards 2000, I started to try and found I could manange without the catheter, except at m=night and had it removed. I also discovered terry square nappies (diapers in the US) These are folded like this http://www.drylife.co.uk/ab_page.php Uswing these at night was very effective and I have been using them since then. It allows the penis to 'air' and reduces skin problems.

Lately I have been managing without protection during the day at leats while home or near to home. I don't risk things for long though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:04 am 

Wheels,

My heart goes out to you. My mother struggled with MS for over 30 years. She suffered with loss of bladder control as well. She had a foley cath the last 15 years.

I am so glad that you are in remission and have regained some bladder control and that you are no longer wheel chair bound.