www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:38 pm 

Hello. My 1st post. I now have FI due to radiation & poor surgery. I had colon cancer and elected to go for preoperative radiation to shrink the tumor. I'm thinking it was a mistake. It did shrink the tumor but also gave me the FI. The tumor was low in the colon(it could be felt w/ a digital exam) The surgeon said he would try to save the sphincter muscle and if he couldn't he would have to give me a permanent colostomy. He gave me a temporary colostomy and told me the surgery went well but after the colostomy was reversed, I now have total FI. Now, I just read an article on line at PLoS Medicine that states the radiation if not used carefully can also cause FI. And surgery in that area has to be very careful to not damage the nerves that control the sphincter. I was never informed about these risks from any doctor. This is not a pleasant condition and my Quality of life hasn been greatly affected. I thought the colostomy bag was pretty bad but FI is horrible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:18 pm 

Well gardman... that's tough... real damn tough. I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. I do not have fecal incontinence myself, but being in diapers 24/7 as I am I have had my fair share of accidents and will definately share the sentiment that it is in no way plesant. Look on the bright side though, you are still alive. You have another obstacle to overcome now... but it's better than the alternative.

My advice to you...

First, get some good quality protection (diapers) and get used to wearing them. Even if it is only a temporary basis they will at least help you cope with the mess.

Second, try taking some deoderant tablets, like chlorophyll tabs or etc. They will help to take the smell out of your feces and can spare you some of the unplesantness.

Third, increase your daily fiber intake... try taking fiber pills if you need to. That will help add bulk to your stool and make it less runny... easier to deal with.

Other than that... try to take things one day at a time... and see if you can find something positive to focus on. Family can be a big help and support during these trying times.

Also, remember that you are not alone... there are others out here in the world with problems like yours... we have all found ways to deal with the issue and move on with our lives... you can find the strength to do the same!

I do hope the doctors are able to find a solution for you that is better than wearing diapers or carrying around an ostomy bag. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:30 pm 

Hugs to you friend!
I dont have fecal incontinence. That must be VERY difficult. I second puddle guy. Get a good diaper, one that has leak guards. Check out the diaper primer, theres info about this.

Myself, i suffer from mixed urge and stress incontinence, though i dont know, it may be mixed overflow and urge, or just urge. I do wear diapers a lot, but dont always need the full brief, but i wear it all the time anyway. It gives peace of mind. Whenever i debate whether to lessen my protection, im hit with an incident where the diaper gets pretty dang wet, and i wonder how else it could have been handled. Im not totally incontinent, but can wet pretty heavily if left unimpeded.

Wearing diapers is certianly a hard thing to do. But, it makes managing incontinence easier. Without my diaperes, i would certianly put up with wet underear, and more than likely wet pants.. But life is better now.

Life will get better for you. Please, don't let it get you down.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:34 am 

Gardman10,

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear your story. FI is so much worse tha UI. I can't imagine what you are going through.

Hopefully we can offer you some support here at the forum. I hope some members with a problem similar to yours will offewr some advise along with our UI members. Looks like they have alredy started.

Let us know if there is any advise you need. ......Paul Martin