www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:30 pm 

I asked a questin at the depend forums, but i didnt get as much input as i wanted, so i said what the hey i'll ask here.

The question is wheelchairs for convenience, and let me get to the main point of the question

I can still walk and get around but, typically i end up with more pain which ends up making me need more of the pain killers which make me feel less motivated and just all aroud funny, but what i notice that when im not on my feet (i.e. sitting )
the pain isnt as bad and i can actually sleep better because i now trying as hard to find that comfortable spot.

so i have been looking into wheelchairs, primarily lightweight, non powered ones .
now i know it shouldnt matter whoevers opinion, as only mine matters but still
i want to know what other people think
should i keep on forcing on with the pain kiilers untill i cant walk / stand at all, or am i on the right track in thinking it may be a wise decision?
i'm not saying i want to go complete imobile, just want to be able to choose when and how i am going to pay for the pain when i do, do things.

opinions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:05 am 

Hi
I'd say go for it better in a chair then popping pills but then I'm not one who likes to take pills of any kind. Just a note you may want to use heavier protection since your going to be sitting to help avoid leaks :?
................Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:03 pm 

thanks for the advice,bw i meant to put this under general, can some one please move it :oops:

Post subject: pain management
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:40 am 

I've had the pain issues with my CES, also. Definitely use the chair for your mobility and easing the pain and strain...DEFINITELY!

Make sure you consult with your doctor so he can verify this for insurance or other medical assistance purposes. A good lightweight chair is pricey,
but certainly worth it.

In fact, use of mobility aids for some time after my injury went a long way toward easing the pain and things did NOT get worse. I accommodated early and actually had an overall REDUCTION in pain since those early years, post injury. Also use of leg braces-crutches in the process was a help to me, but I did have some paralysis then and needed them to stand safely or walk. With return over time, I shed the braces, though not in the manner Forrest Gump did !! (just kidding).

I, too, have resisted surgery and now I know resisting it was MY best choice. Yeah!!!!

Listen to your body and when you feel better at the end of the day for chair use, consider the chair time a good investment. I hope the pain
can ease over time as you find accommodations for it and ways to
ease the body strain you face each day. It is NOT a sure thiing you
will end up with more chair use. Early use of a chair for me meant I
am now NOT dependent on one, thankfully. But from my early days
(about 3 years post injury), I sure can relate to pain issues revolving
around CES, not to mention the bladder incontinence which I still have.

John in OK

Good luck

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:02 pm 

thanks john, yer in ok? me too, not trying to pry to much but can i ask where?you can pm me if you want and ill tell you where i am too.