www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Urge Incontinence
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:19 pm 

Hey guys, new to the site...

I was just recently diagnosed with urge incontinence. I've had issues my whole life with a sensitive bladder, but after 30 it hit me harder and now, at 32, I have accidents without any warning sometimes. It's been a real life adjustment now. I thought about going the catheter route, but my body is prone to infections. So I've just decided to accept the fact that this issue will just get worse with age and that I'll probably have to wear diapers for the rest of my life unfortunately. :( But to all of you out there, as you may know by now, you aren't alone and neither am I.

Post subject: Re: Urge Incontinence
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:34 pm 

Hi VwaguyPDX

Welcome to the group

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:21 pm 

Welcome. Indeed, life does go on, changed, sometimes greatly hampered, but it continues. I hope you will find the insight and support here that have so enriched my life.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:01 pm 

Thanks guys. It's been a learning process and continues to be on how to manage both the issue and my emotions. What makes things most difficult is the fact that I'm single and this whole issue puts a huge damper on things in that regard. I'm sure things will eventually work out as long as I keep positive. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone and over 25 million people suffer from some form of incontinence.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:35 pm 

Try not to look at the diapers as inconvenience. Your urge incontinence for sure, but the diapers are helping you get back out there without needing to worry if you're within running distance of a bathroom.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:41 pm 

Welcome! hope we get to be friendly!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:36 pm 
Admin

Welcome to our (sometimes wet) family. :lol: :lol:

The only question that's not allowed here is the "unasked" question. :lol: :lol:

Schoppy

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:30 am 

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the welcomes :) . I'm glad I came across this forum and look forward to getting to know you guys! I'm always here if anyone feels like they need to vent one-on-one as well... I know you guys would do the same.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:49 am 

Welcome and we all vent to each other from time to time.

BTW, the answer to the "unasked question" can be found in the old messages, the New Diaper Primer, or my own paper "Introduction to Adult Diapers, Their Selection and Wear," also in the articles section.

--John

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:33 pm 

Welcome to the forum. It is a great resource for all topics related to incontinence. There is definitely an adjustment period that requires patience and perseverance while finding and settling on the protection that works best for your specific situation. That being said, incontinence and the need to wear diapers has not stopped me from doing any of the activities that I did before I started having issues. I find wearing diapers less stressful and inconvenient than worrying about whether I am going to be able to make it to the next available restroom in time. The key is to find protection that works and you can trust.

I have urge (flooding) incontinence as well, caused by a urinary sphincter weakened from passing too many kidney stones over the years. About six years ago, I passed one too many (and it was large), and I have had leakage and urge flooding ever since. I have to stay fully hydrated at all times in order to prevent another occurrence of kidney stones, which means more frequent urination and urge "accidents" as the bladder fills up. (The good news is that I haven't had any more kidney stones since then.) I was unable to tolerate the OAB drugs. I have had UTIs from the kidney stones, as well as from a prostate infection, so I didn't want to pursue catheters (plus I felt that wearing a leg bag would be far more awkward than a diaper.) I have found diapers to be the best management tool.