www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Urge Incontinence
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:22 am 

I've been coping with urge incontinence for the last ten years, and it worsened over that period to the point, now, that when the urge comes on, no longer can I forestall emptying. So, its diapering up at night and not worrying about wetting my bed and being able to fall right back to sleep. Started wearing a 4Care body stocking that has reduced leakage significantly. I can still get by with an Abena pad during the day, but I can foresee the need to segueing into a more protective diaper soon. I've tried Wellness pull-ups with an Abena normal booster pad which seems to work well as long as I wear mesh fixing pants over the pull-up.

Bottom line for me is that ACCEPTING my urge incontinence and dealing with it has reduced my previous angst about having to wear protection to zero. Much less stress in my life as a result.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:44 am 

I also have urge incontinence. When an "urge" occurs, I have very little time to get to a washroom before my bladder starts emptying itself. Like you, I have found that wearing a diaper to keep my pants reliably dry on the outside is an immense stress reliever.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:53 pm 

Add me to the club... in addition to not really helping, Vesicare and Toviaz gave me severe dry mouth, something I seem to get pretty bad already with toothpaste, and myrbetriq gave me headaches.

I have dealt with this for about 15 years now :shock: time flies.... Even after all this time I am still self-conscious and worry if people close to me know.

I think the worst aspect of UI is that it is so unpredictable, not just in the timing, but also the amount. That means for me, I am always protected for a worst case scenario. You can have days where you don't have a single accident, and then there are days you wonder if you completely diaper-dependent. That, in and of itself, takes a long time to accept with both good days and bad days.

Luckily, with a supportive wife, doctor, and urologist, there are more good days than bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:33 pm 

ditto to all that has been said. all meds either didn't work that good or the side affects are worst than wearing diapers. I have the same symptoms where one day I may get by and than the next day I wonder if I am ever going to stop wetting myself. For example, one morning, I did my morning thing got dressed and started to brush my teeth. Next thing I know I am having to change. Just so unpredictable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:16 pm 

Quote:
I think the worst aspect of UI is that it is so unpredictable, not just in the timing, but also the amount. That means for me, I am always protected for a worst case scenario. You can have days where you don't have a single accident, and then there are days you wonder if you completely diaper-dependent. That, in and of itself, takes a long time to accept with both good days and bad days.

Luckily, with a supportive wife, doctor, and urologist, there are more good days than bad.

The unpredictability is what kills it, unfortunately. I'm pretty much the same as you when it comes to my UI to the point where I'll just wear lighter pull-ons and switch to diapers when I notice I'm having a "bad day". You're lucky that you have a supportive wife. I'm currently single and my problem is always the deal-breaker. I even had one woman tell me "I thought you were just kidding when you said you had to wear protection." ...Really?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:26 am 

The unpredictability is what kills it, unfortunately. I'm pretty much the same as you when it comes to my UI to the point where I'll just wear lighter pull-ons and switch to diapers when I notice I'm having a "bad day". You're lucky that you have a supportive wife. I'm currently single and my problem is always the deal-breaker. I even had one woman tell me "I thought you were just kidding when you said you had to wear protection." ...Really?[/quote]

Unpredictability is no fun with urinary symptoms. I had a good urinary frequency day the other day and was bewildered as I'm usually in the bathroom all the time, but I was having the same number of incidences of drips/leaks as I usually do. The next day it was back to 25-30 times a day, my new "normal"

That's awful that a person would be so rude.......I don't envy your situation trying to find a suitable partner AFTER incontinence. Stay the course my friend, there is somebody out there for everybody, just be patient.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:28 am 

I too have urge Incontinence for far too long I avoided diapers (being a slave to the loo) having read the inspirational posts here acceptance is the key with the support of community I wear 24/7. I am now so happy now diapers have given me a life and I no longer worry about a wet bed too my sleep is so solid now I wake up a refreshed. Diapers do take one a bit of time to find the product and a good change process.

The diaper primer is a great resource http://www.incontinentsupport.org/primer_index.php.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:12 am 

Welcome in this group. I hope that you are settling OK. I am facing the same and i have only 10 notice before wetting, so not much open to avoid wearing diapers. Actually there is also a positive side, you as you don't have to rush anymore! I guess we can get used to it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:12 pm 

Urge IC here too. Took me a while and a few humiliating public accidents to finally realize diapers were the way to go. Now I live at totally normal life, do all the things I used to and just do it while wearing a diaper.

I've been able to keep it secret from coworkers and family and friends other than my wife. I'd guess a handful of people may suspect something but no one has been rude enough to ask. Sometimes no matter how well I dress around it, my pants still are a pit puffy and it's tough to bring a back pack almost everywhere without people getting curious.

I have good days and bad days. Sometimes I'm quite at peace with it and others I feel pretty low and ridiculous being in diapers. comes and goes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:44 pm 

I am new here and I also suffer from urge incontinence
I have suffered from chronic nonbacterial prostatitis that causes painful urgency such that it becomes very painful and therefore difficult to hold back.
The urgency occurs with 300-400cc based on bladder ultrasound so the void is quite large.
Its taken some time and many accidents for me to come to terms with my condition.
Now I wear abena M4 day and night though I am considering switching to cloth at night. That is another hurdle for me to overcome.