www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Volunteer work
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:12 pm 

Does anyone do volunteer work such as a food pantry, tutorin/reading program, or Habitat for Humanity? I was thinking that if I could find time, even a couple hours a week, I might do something. The reason that it relates to this problem is that for one thing, I find doing some good for others or the community is not only something that takes your mind off your own problem but lets you see how fortunate you are. I used to do things like this quite often but have stopped for quite awhile. I would like to get back into it. Maybe volunteering would be a good way to be social again in a more friendly setting. What is your take on this?

Post subject: Volunteer work
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:31 am 

Hey LtsofQues,
I have done a lot of work for Habitat for humanity. I have some carpentry skills and construction experience and it helps. Very good program. ...........Paul

Post subject: Thanks Paul
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:12 pm 

I did some work with them too about nine years ago. This was just one of the things I let slip away spending more time at home but now I'm beginning to get back into stuff starting with school. I noticed on the website how many viewers there are. It just made me think how many incontinent people are stuck in there houses and given up their old activities. Hopefully the forum will help them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:42 pm 

When I was a Union Carpenter, before my accident, I used to volunteer for many programs, Christmas in april, habitat for humanity, adopt a highway, and special needs, (like building wheelchair ramps for those who could not afford it). it was very rewarding. I wish I could still build but its not possible. Now I machine sew for preemies at the hospital, cancer survivors, and cloth diapers for children in peds who can't use disposables.

Post subject: Thanks Hobiecatguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:25 am 

It's great that you do all these things. I may have to find some different program. When I worked at Habitat for Humanity before it was fun. Since its kind of like a construction site I'm not sure how that would work for someone with a bladder problem. Its just something I would like to get back into since facing this delima and going out more often. Maybe I can find something else to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:53 pm 

Don't give up on the humanity projects, there are always thing to work on. as for the incon on the job, Not one of the volunteers will ever give you even the slightest feel of uneasyness. you could show up with your supplies over your shoulder and not give you a second look, more likely they would ask if you needed any assistance. Great bunch of people.
Take care.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:11 pm 

It sounds lilke volunteer work will be a chance to work in a more friendly environment. After devoting so much energy and discussion to dealing with incontinence troubles it will be a good way to put energy into something else without worrying. Since I made a post about dating concerns maybe I could meet someone through volunteering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:54 am 
Admin

I have never helped out with the humanity projects but I have been doing volunteer work at a local club for many years and have really enjoyed it. Even though I haven't found anyone yet, its a lot of fun work.

Post subject: Volunteer Work
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:34 pm 

I've never been much good working with my hands, but I have done other types of volunteer work. I took school groups through a museum explaining the exhibits, I have also volunteered in elementary schools helping children who needed a little extra help, reading to classes, and in general helping teachers and I also categorized and labeled library books for a new school library.
Hope this gives you some ideas.
essgee