www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Employment
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:00 pm 

I have an idea for a new topic concerning work. It is to figure out what are the best type of jobs for incontinent people. Most people have to work and cannot leave their job because of incontinence. Many women have to return to work after a baby and this can make you incontinent in some cases. In my case, an injury could not let me out of the :D workforce. Since I'm in school now, I have afeeling this will be a deciding factor for my major. Certain types of jobs may be more difficult for us and it certainly has affected my self esteem. Some employers may be cruel or not hire someone if they suspect or know about their problem. Some places to work may have limited bathroom access which could be a problem. Others may not allow you to carry a bag or purse which could force you to inform your boss or coworkers. If someone finds out they may gossip, that;s my fear. The worst, how do you deal with an accident at work if it happens. These are concerns that we could address under this topic. Hope there are some ideas!

Post subject: Employment Issues
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:13 pm 

LtsofQues,
You have made a very good point in your post. Ther are a lot of jobs out there where an incontinent person would have a hard time working in.
It seems to me some type of office work, not plant work, would suit an incontinent person good. Employers now have a lot of goverment issues they must comply with. I feel an incontinent person would fall under the ADA act. Also, HIPPA would prevent an employer form discussing anybodys health issues to other employees. Lawsuits and fines can be harsh on an employer who is not compliant with these laws.
You have to be carefull as you select your job offers. It's unfortunate we are put in that situation, and it's not fair. I'm lucky the office that I work at is "incontinent friendly". Sure, there are a few of my co-workers who know I wear diapers, but most don't realize it. I have to store my spare diapers in a shared restroom. I really guess most know something is up, but they don't ever ask. I sometimes have a bad leak accident, but I'm descreet enough to get to the bathroom to clean-up. I really think most co-workers will be understanding if they find out. Just my two cents worth! ......Paul Martin

Post subject: job stuff
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:43 pm 

I have done some research on disabilities and incontinence does not seem to be covered. If a company fired someone because of an incontinence related issue they may be embarrassed in having to explain it and that could be a plus for the employee. Still, I wonder if there is a shortage of incontinent workers in senior positions either due to discrimination or due to the self esteem of people themselves. I have found that to be an issue sometimes. I thought of two more things. For one, I know that there are some companies or places like the NAFC that have people working on different things with this issue. I know Depend has a questions hotline that can have them answer questions. It would be good if they went out of their way to employ some incontinent people for the reson that they automatically have experience, know the issues first hand, and are the biggest consumers of their product to keep them in business. That would be a funny job requirement but to me would make sense. Another thing that came to me is young people. These boards let me know that people of all ages suffer. This would be very difficult if you were a young person getting a first job, I can't imagine.
With this condition there is a high risk of an accident at work even if you are prepared and especially if your not. I tend to fall apart when this happens and it would be good to have the skills os the right way to handle it beforhand so it doesn't seem to affect job performance. It's almost like knowing what to do in the event of a fire or tornado.
An office job is nice, but relistically everyone does not have certain skills and if it someone getting a first job, more than likely not. Also, I know first hand that some office environment can have alot of gossip, and as a credit to my gender this is more likely of all female work places.
Not to ramble on but what about starting a new job? What if your current job moves or promotes you to a different job that could be a problem for you? Like I said, I have lots of questions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:59 pm 

Hi---

Frankly, I think the key to managing incontinence and employment lies in adequate protection. I am self-employed, but working face-to-face with clients for anywhere from two to four hours at a time in back to back, 1-hour sessions (I'm a psychotherapist in private practice). With my unpredictable bladder, I can be wet within one hour of a bathroom visit, or not at all for 3-4 hours (more often wet within 2). I use cloth diapers with waterproof pants, or very high-end disposables, as I may have to deal with several voids before changing. One advantage I do have is that I go home for lunch, so dealing with cloth diapers is not a problem in that way. Utilizing clothing that is adequately concealing of additional bulk is important, but also important is the awareness that people generally see what they expect to see, and notice very little that isn't blatantly obvious.

My youngest daughter just turned 18, and works in a bookstore. I would imagine that if she had our condition, with wardrobe adjustments and good timing, she would be able to remain discreet and confident. Fortunately, this is not a problem for her, but it would seem workable. I suspect that factory jobs with rigid schedules would provide more challenges, and require (again) very good and reliable protection.

Gimwet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:35 am 

Gimwet hit the nail right on the head.
I believe any employer has to give an employee certin freedoms and going to the bathroom is one of them. I'm sure there is some type of compliance that employers have to do for people with special bathroom needs. I guess any person who is incontinent would be too embarrased to take an employer to court or to file a grievence. I think if an employer will not give special considerstion for us, that employer is not worth working for. My two pennies worth! ............Paul Martin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:15 pm 

I'd have to agree with Paul that an employer who cannot make some accodmodation, however small, is not worth working for. I've never seen incontinence mentioned with regard to ADA, but if I were an employer, I'd rather not be the precedent setting case! It would be awfully hard to argue that if it is not specifically mentioned, that it is not covered. Certainly the intent of the law would cover incontinence (but then, I'm not a lawyer).

Office work would probably be fine, but I wouldn't let incontinence stop me from working in any field I chose. It could be awkward as a swimsuit model...but I'd try to find a way if I was one! I spend a lot of time playing guitar in rock and roll bands, which is an area where "cool" is important. But I won't let diapers keep me from doing it! I seem to remember Joe K posting on this board about working in a factory, all the while wearing cloth diapers. I for one would never dream of wearing cloth to work, but he made it work.

I've recently come to the conclusion that people either will or won't find out, and they have to decide how they will respond if they do. I can only do what I need to do -- I'm tired of expending so much energy hiding.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:54 am 

Thanks for your replies. This is very helpful. One thing that troubles me is the risk of an accident at work. I've had a small one and tried to think noone noticed but I'm pretty sure they did. Sometimes I have to run to the bathroom like the other day I went shopping with a friend and when we got to the check out I needed to go. I left my stuff at the counter and ran because I really wanted to make it and I did. I wanted to avoid the challenge of changing at my friend's house or leaking in the car. However, when I came back I got funny looks from the cashier and my friend, and she acted kind of funny to me after that. It's more emabrrassing when this happens at work. Soon I may be doing some work in another part of my job where getting to the bathroom will not be as easy. I'm going to have to tell that supervisor that I'll need to use the bathroom other than on scheduled breaks and bring my purse (for supplies). This is hard, but if I don't do it I will definitely have an accident or leak which could be worse. They get breaks every four hours and I need to go every hour. If I wait until its urgent I won't get there in time. Hopefully this will be a short assignment. I'm glad I don't have to travel for work. When I was talking about a possible short vacation with my friends they were joking saying I better sit on the aisle on the plane, then one laughed and said either that or she''ll have to wear depends. They found it hysterical and I laughed but really felt kind of bad.

Post subject: Employment issues
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:52 am 

LtsofQues,
Your shopping situation sounds like you had a victory in making it on time to the restroom, but at the exspense of having strange looks from store clerks or your friend. I say you did the right thing. I guess you had a diaper on when this happened? Sometimes you'll be in a situation like that and you won't make it in time.
About your employment. Sounds like you have a delima if you take this temporary assignment. If you can't talk your supervisor in giving you a bathroom break every hour, you'll need to wear a good diaper to hold you over. Surely if you talk privately with your supervisor, they would allow this. Good luck! ...........Paul Martin

Post subject: thanks paul
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:51 pm 

Thanks paul. The tempoerary assignment is not a choice, I just will be fiiling in for some shortages. I can tell the supervisor its just embarrassing because it will be the first time letting someone know about my bladder problem like this. I suppose its better than the alternative. The bright side of that is if the supervisor there thinks I might wet my pants on her shift, she could opt to use someone else instead of me. I just hope they don't talk about it to anyone else. With my friend, who I hadn't seen in a while, I only used a pad (bad idea and a big risk), because I was afraid of her finding out and she never has a bathroom garbage can, otherwise I wouldn't have run so fast and I know I looked panicked. The point is, I'm pretty sure from past experiences my friends know I can't hold very long. It's just that in these situations with the strange looks and at work I get very uncomfortable. The looks made me feel inferior. There was no talking about it because of the stigma. If I had fallen or hit my head it would be talked about. My friend has had to where a knee brace, another friend had to walk with a cane for a while, I have other friends who wear glasses, I never gave them a strange look for those problems, you get the idea. I should be glad it didn't happen in her car, acn you imagine? Lessons learned I guess.

Post subject: Learning fast!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:21 pm 

LtsofQues,
You're learning fast on how to deal with this. I understand how you feel in letting other people know your problem. Where I work, only one person I know(my partner) knows I wear diapers. In fact she has her own problems with IBS and has had some accidents too. I've even given her some of my diapers.
Your supervisor shouldn't be telling others your condition. I really don't think she will since there are federal laws about sharing someones medical condition. If I suspect someone knows I wear a diaper, I go ahead and tell them. Only a few know about me, and they all understand and mention nothing about it. I think if your friend knew, she would even help you out. If someone finds out, I'm sure they would keep quiet. I hope none of your co-workers are loud mouths. Good Luck LtsofQues! .....Paul Martin