www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Leaks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:39 am 

Good suggestion Gimwet. I sometimes wear plastic pants over my disposable. If you use the right type diaper and try to change on a regular schedule, you should have few leaks. But they still happen.
My wife has always told me to take an extra pair of pants to work to change into if I have an accident. But you're right, LtsofQues, about the color of your cloths. I would have to have a pair of both colors I wear so people won't know I've changed into a new pair of pants.
My accidents haven't been too bad to show a lot. I just quickly get back to my office and won't venture out untill the wet spot is not noticable. .....Paul

Post subject: Thanks Paul and gimwet
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:25 am 

Thanks for the advice, especially about the pants. I thought I might be overreacting. Regarding my other post about stares at school is that I think its better to get a stare about bulk or noise than it is to have a leak. Only that is easier at work than at school because you see the same people day in and day out. In school, you just have to wait for the semester to end. The bad thing about leaks in the back is that its hard to tell until you get that wet feeling on your leg and then its too late. This often happens when you think you have more time to change or have one of those accidents you wished you could've avoided. So an incontinent persons delima at work is whether to risk the extra bulk and noise or risk a leak, either way you may have to face coworkers and emabrrassment.

Post subject: Employment
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:41 am 

Hi to everyone. I am new to this support group. My bladder incontinence began in September of 2000, due in part to a life threatening staph infection. I wear Abri-form X-tra pluses and just recently purchased cloth diapers for at home use.

I have been browsing the forum and the heading about employment caught my eye. I am puzzled by people that are willing to risk wetting accidents at work over wearing some type of absorbent product to prevent this. I can't imagine having to cause a scene of mass panic just to try and reach a restroom just in time.

I understand not wanting to wear a diaper, I did the same thing in the beginning. Even though I spent two weeks diapered in the hospital, I still thought I could out grow my need for them.

I went grocery shopping without a diaper on and paid a horrifying price for my decision. Half way through the store I got a sudden urge and before I could react, the flood gates opened. In an instant I was soaking wet all the way down to my shoes. Within seconds, I was making a hasty exit out the door. Running to my car with obvious soaking wet jeans in full view of anyone around me drove an indelible point home that I will never go any where without being diapered.

I convinced myself that I would much rather explain to someone why I wear diapers than to endure another wetting accident in public.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:10 am 

JRB,

Welcome to the forum. I think most people who have incontinence issues wear some type of protection. Not everyone, but most relize wearing protection is better than the alternative of having an accident.

Anytime I'm going to be away from home for several hours I wear the extended wear diaper. Like you, I also like the Abri X-Plus. No bulk, no noie, and no leaks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:40 am 

Super absorbant diapers can be a godsend... especially if you are out in public and don't have easy access to a changing facility.

As far as work goes... my boss knows about my issue... and a few other employees do as well... but everyone is really very polite, noone has ever bothered me a bit about it.

There is this little thing called the "Americans With Disabilities Act" that does offer legal protection of those with recognised disabilities if a situation should arise in the workplace. Employers know about it... so they should make sure that an incontinent individual is never bothered or made fun of if they know what is good for their business.

Post subject: Re: Employment
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:17 am 

Gimwet wrote:
With my unpredictable bladder, I can be wet within one hour of a bathroom visit, or not at all for 3-4 hours (more often wet within 2). I use cloth diapers with waterproof pants, or very high-end disposables, as I may have to deal with several voids before changing.

This sounds a LOT like me. I can't explain it, sometimes i wet a lot, and sometimes i can go hours without using the bathroom and not be wet. It's aggravating. The dry times are almost like a tease, where u think ur safe to go without,and then BAM! your wet.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:42 am 

JRB,

Welcome to the forum! I'm all for wearing protection to prevent accidents like you spoke about. I guess some people look at you being lazy in wearing a diaper, but you have to protect youself. ......Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:07 am 

HI JRB
Welcome to the board :!: I think one of the biggest issues for new people in diapers is the ability of how to dress proper. So as not to have the diaper show through your clothes. Also if your wearing a crinkle type diaper there are ways to dent en the sound also. We had a lengthy thread about this sometime back. I think we called it "what not to wear"

I know where your coming from with your grocery store story. I'm not sure I've ever had an accident without protection on. Maybe when I was a kid I did :?: But as an adult I've had a number of them. But as an adult I've always worn some type of protection wether it was just Maxi size pads during the day in my late teenage years. My early 20's I wore the belted kind during the day. I stayed in those way longer then I should have.

I've shared on the board here several cases where I had accidents in public because of the lack of protection or proper protection. I know what it's like to stand behind a trash can at a mall and leave a puddle on the floor. That one was because the belted garment I was wearing was already somewhat wet and I flooded not good :cry:

One of my worst memories as a child is being in school sitting at my desk and having a major flood right at my desk. That was horrifying :shock: I can still hear the sound of the pee hitting the floor in the back of my mind :cry:
...................All for now.........Sandy :)

Post subject: working incontinent
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:23 am 

I worked in a factory,on an assembly line for 33 years. Y ou can't just walk a way when you have to go,and getting a break in hard to do.
Protection was a must I wore a disposable diaper with a size six insert this was easy to change and dispose of I also used a mcguire urinal these take a little gatting used to but work great.

Post subject: Work
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:03 pm 

After college i got hired on by the Dept of the Army. It's familiar to me after being a soldier and so i love what i do, the pay is good. Luckily for me i get a retention pay bonus. Anywhoo i typically wear dress salcks for work and a polo or sweater. I haven't tried any other colors besides brown,black and blue. Is there a big difference if i wanted to wear khacki slacks? I like the dark colors because i think they do a tremendous job of hiding the diaper lines.

Typically i carry a laptop with me when i visit my other offices so i carry diapers in the same carrying case. One co-worker knows and has been very supportive of my ms and incontinence. My boss knows i have ms but i dont think she or other coworkers need to know of my incontinence.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next