www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Update on my situation
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:06 pm 

Just wanted to mention, and I think some of you may already have seen a post or two of mine. I have officially been diagnosed with Interstitial cystitis, AND IBS, the IBS diagnosis was unexpected, but the bacteria in my guts is all messed up which she believes is causing all of this, one bacteria in particular was right off the charts almost at a "pathogenic" level. I have started taking my 6 or so supplements about a week and a half ago, they consist of probiotics, and powders to be mixed with liquids to help bring my guts back into order. So far no changes/relief from my bladder issues. Still going 20-30 times a day, not sleeping real well, and having some incontinence. So I'm still wearing diapers and the wife is still inserting my Foley catheters. I rarely go more than a few days without the foley. When it's out, I am always uncomfortable and look forward to it going back in. I also OAB to go along with the IC and the IBS. I believe it was all triggered by a stress response.
I had a very stressful time in my life about 2 1/2 years ago. I worked myself right into a nervous breakdown and ended up hospitalized. I was noticing some bladder issues for several weeks just before this event, maybe my body's signals to slow it down, which went unheeded. Things haven't been quite right since. Maybe because I'm still working 3 jobs and pulling in between 48-100 hours a week. My record is 168 hours in an 11 day stretch, several weeks back. We're paying all our bills and we have very little debt, but my health is definitely suffering greatly for it. Anyway, thanks for reading and sorry for the long winded post. I figured I'd give you all an update.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:00 pm 

Try and look up "kefir", aka, "milk wine". It's a fermented milk with loads of probiotics you won't normally get in most foods. Adding this in can really get you back on track if your good bacterial is out of wack. I've had this before and it helped me a LOT after a three month stint of antibiotics. The taste was... odd, but not bad.

If this doesn't help you could always go with a three month massive antibiotic treatment yourself. After this you can get a fecal transplant. I never had to get it myself but understand this this works wonders for people with intestinal problems of all kinds and was offered it once myself. (if you can get past the yuck factor).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:01 pm 

My functional medicine Dr reckoned some of my bladder problems could be due to the gut dysbiosis/fermenting gut I have. I tried ciproxin but had a bad reaction. Right now I'm just doing probiotics - non dairy (soy) kefir, bio kult, and coconut yoghurt. In the future I will probably add in some plant tannins and uva ursi which was what my bad bacteria came out as sensitive to. Right now though my health is a mess and I'm scared of making it worse. Whenever I do a treatment it is hard to tell if I'm getting worse before getting better, or just getting worse. I also take a lot of other supplements.
What are you taking?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:34 am 

PB&J32,

Although you can be justifiably proud that you are out of debt, working such long hours week in and week out must take a toll on your health. I hope you will soon be able to resume a less stressful lifestyle, and take some time off, both for yourself and for your loved ones.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:00 pm 

Hi, PB&J - I'm sorry that you have IBS, on top of everything else that's going on. I'm very worried about you. You are a highly-functional person, and you have set astoundingly high standards for yourself. You've not only met those standards, you have surpassed them. That's quite an achievement, but now I think it's time that you sit down with your wife and talk about where and how you can scale back. I think your mental and physical health depend on it. I wish the very best for you and your family.

W.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:54 pm 

@PB&J, brother.... don't work yourself into an early grave......

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:36 pm 

Thanks for the thought everybody. Been taking all these supplements for a couple weeks now. It's a pain in the ass, but so is living with catheters. Bowels seem a little better, though I never really felt I had problems there. Bladder issues seem unchanged for now. Still having frequency, urgency, hesitation, and of course, incontinence. The incontinence is still light and seems relatively minor to me. I'm still wearing protection. Diapers when I'm home and pullups (Abena abriflex) at work, these seem to work really well for me. Though I really still prefer the more robust protection afforded by a regular diaper.
Unfortunately there isn't an end in sight to my work issues. I have taken A LOT of time off this summer (approximately 6-7 weeks off) the downside to this amount of time is that you end up having to catch up on missed overtime when you get back to work. Overtime is what allows our family to get ahead. Our bills match our weekly/monthly take home base pay. So the overtime keeps the wife happy and off my back. I'm here at work today on another 12 day run at work. When my 12 day stretch is complete I will have 144 hours in, but I've had 3 1/2 days off in that time.
I have another stretch of time off beginning Tuesday morning after tomorrow's 24 hour shift so that is what is getting me through this long stretch. (I can do a 24 hour shift standing on my head) it isn't good for my physical or mental health and I tell her that, but it goes in one ear and out the other, she really doesn't seem to care. There doesn't seem to be an end in sight. I'd be a lot better off if I could just work my 48 hours a week and be done. I often think that she wouldn't miss me until the first Thursday following my death when my paycheck fails to show up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:02 pm 

@PB&J, sorry you've gotta do that.... stay strong.

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:09 pm 

I'm sorry, too, PB&J. I know that time and money are in short supply and a counselor is likely out of the question, even if she'd go. Could one of your medical providers explain to her that the overwork is adversely affecting your physical and mental health, and causing conflict in your marriage (which is also adversely affecting your mental & physical health)? Are you members of a church family, and thus get some guidance from your minister?

W.