www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:48 pm 

This could be TMI, but I feel like I need to talk about it.

I'm a bedwetter, so I'm always diapered at night, but that has been my only issue.

My wife has a stomach bug, and apparently i've caught it. I woke up at 6am this morning with my stomach churning. Like I was a hot water bottle, filled with boiling gas. I hopped up and headed for the bathroom, maybe 20 feet, but only made it to the hallway. It just started happening, and for the first time since I was 2 years old, I froze and just stood there filling my pants.

Honestly, I did regain control after a few seconds, so it wasn't a huge mess to clean up, but it was a weird sensation. I've miscalculated and sharted before, but that's not the same as just not being in control.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:56 pm 

Boy, can I relate to this post. I want to echo your TMI warning before I continue. My urinary incontinence is caused by prostatitis, and there is a strong correlation between prostatitis and IBS. My IBS symptoms come and go. They are impossible to anticipate because the level of bowel urgency goes from nothing to desperately exigent in only a few minutes. I've been in situations like yours, when I woke up in a state of desperation. More frequently it happens when I am on the highway. I only have true emergencies if I am away from a bathroom. If a bathroom is nearby, I always get to it. My maximum "hold" time under these circumstances is around twenty minutes. The abdominal pain can be excruciating. I wear pull-ups 24/7 for prostatitis-related, urinary incontinence. They're not designed for bowel accidents, but they're better than nothing.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:02 pm 

MSUSparta,

Weird is a good description of a bowel accident in your sleep. An experience such as this underlines the importance of wearing sturdy protection, up to the task of handling whatever your body throws at it, every night.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:00 pm 

MSUSpartan,

I can totally understand losing it, after being septic and all the antibiotic I had a major accident that was out of my control. Only way to explain it, Wow what a mess. There are a lot of people that deal with this everyday. Im blessed to only be totally urinary incontinent as crazy as it may sound. Hopefully it clears up for you.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:09 am 

Ugh, wetting is one thing (not fun, but manageable with diapers and meds), but losing control of the bowel is even more terrible. Have had it happen to me a few times. It might be because of the medication I have for my bladder. Luckily these incidents are rare and have always happened while wearing protection, so no major traumas here.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:37 am 

Same here, it seldom ever happens to me but has happened a few times. Each time I just though how glad I was to already be wearing a diaper for my urinary incontinence.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:57 pm 

It's happened on occasion to me as well. I take Metformin for Diabetes, and I also have long-term Ulcerative Colitis. The medication plus a colitis flare plus too much water in my bowel can create a perfect storm for me.

W.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:49 pm 

Quote:
Im blessed to only be totally urinary incontinent as crazy as it may sound.

Completely agree. It has happen to me also. Either I ate something that didn't agree with me and I couldn't make it to the bathroom or I was sick from something. It is very messy and I tip my hat to those that have to deal with this on a day to day bases.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:04 am 

Thanks for the comments all. Feeling less isolated.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:54 am 

MSUSpartan, you have touched upon a very sensitive fear of mine. As I wear cloth diapers at night, I have a particular concern about having a nighttime fecal accident. By the time I got up, unsnapped the onesie, removed the plastic pants, and unfastened the cloth diaper it would be too late. Then there is the very unpleasant cleanup of messy cloth diapers - ugh! :( Any time my tummy rumbles at bedtime I have a restless night.

Fortunately, as I use daily enemas for bowel management, fecal accidents now are very infrequent. :D

--John