www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Adult Bedwetting
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:53 am 

Welcome Bunemike!

Too bad about your problems. I understand it is difficult to discuss some matters with your physician, particularly when a female (I'm bowel incontinent, believe me, I really do understand). However, it is time to suck it up as the medical aspects are too important to ignore. You should see both your urologist and an orthopedic surgeon. After 3 years your L3/L4 issues may have deteriorated. Hopefully not, but, if so, you need to catch them now in order to avoid much worse problems later such as bowel incontinence or impaired mobility (I recently had a L3/L4/L5 fusion).

Re living with the problem, we all choose slightly different solutions depending on the nature and severity of our incontinence, plus our different personal preferences. Perhaps a distinguishing characteristic of this group is that we all have accepted our medical circumstances and are not in denial. Accordingly, there is a lot of very useful and detailed discussions about diapers, catheters, medications, etc. as we seek to optimize living with our various conditions.

This group has a lot of very experienced and helpful people. Don't hesitate to ask questions. If you browse through the archive you will find a lot of very useful information in the old messages.

--John

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:07 pm 

Thanks for all of your replies and feedback.

I did see my regular doctor on Friday and told her about the problem. It wasn't as bad as I thought (coming forward with what was going on) but still mildly embarrassing. She poked around a little bit and did take some x-rays that day just to rule out any traumatic or obvious signs of an immediate health concern, but all came back negative. I provided some urine and blood samples and she also sent in a referral for a urologist and I should hear back in the next week about making an appointment with that department.

She also recommended I see a psychologist, and made a referral for that as well. This I didn't really understand, and while I wasn't offended at her suggestion I suppose I became a little guarded. She basically stated that at my age and current health condition that this problem I was having was abnormal. Well yeah, no kidding! She went through the standard questions referring to stress in my life, problems at home or the office, etc. I don't really know what she was driving at.

So, I suppose I'll see the urologist when that time comes and take it from there. Of course, I haven't had any recent symptoms or episodes in the last couple of weeks so maybe she thinks this is all in my head.

I'll try to update here, thanks for the help so far.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:07 pm 

Hi Bunemike,

I would be reluctant to draw any conclusions about what's causing this until you've had a chance to meet with the Urologist and go through their fun testing procedures (urodynamics, etc.). Talking with the Psychologist may help you feel better about dealing with the embarrassment of the situation or deal with any of the other stress in your life but what you describe so far doesn't sound to me like a psychological cause is necessarily at the heart of the issue. I don't believe it's wise to conclude a physical symptom is in one's head until all the possible physical explanations have been ruled out and even then, it could just mean the medical doctors haven't found "it" yet.

CJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:36 am 

Don't know how I missed this thread originally. I'm 33, generally otherwise healthy (high blood pressure, but it doesn't limit me in any way), and started wetting the bed again 3 years ago. I wet as a child, around the age of early elementary school. I also "stopped" wetting, but still had an incident once or twice a year up until my 20's.

When I started wetting again, it was just after a cancer scare, and I'd just started a new job, and bought my first home. I think stress may well have played a roll in my resurgence, but also my history. I started wearing diapers to bed after a few weeks. My wife was generally supportive, but clearly uncomfortable. My doctor ultimately had nothing usefully to offer on the matter. As I don't have any daytime problems, he ruled out a UTI, offered some more invasive tests, but suggested that it was probably just history plus stress.

I've since switched to cloth diapers, and disposables for travel. My wife is much more comfortable around the diapers now (can't well hide the cloth diapers), and for now I just live with it. I wake up wet about 40-50% of the time, but it doesn't change much in my life.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:44 pm 

MSUSpartan wrote:
Don't know how I missed this thread originally. I'm 33, generally otherwise healthy (high blood pressure, but it doesn't limit me in any way), and started wetting the bed again 3 years ago. I wet as a child, around the age of early elementary school. I also "stopped" wetting, but still had an incident once or twice a year up until my 20's.

When I started wetting again, it was just after a cancer scare, and I'd just started a new job, and bought my first home. I think stress may well have played a roll in my resurgence, but also my history. I started wearing diapers to bed after a few weeks. My wife was generally supportive, but clearly uncomfortable. My doctor ultimately had nothing usefully to offer on the matter. As I don't have any daytime problems, he ruled out a UTI, offered some more invasive tests, but suggested that it was probably just history plus stress.

I've since switched to cloth diapers, and disposables for travel. My wife is much more comfortable around the diapers now (can't well hide the cloth diapers), and for now I just live with it. I wake up wet about 40-50% of the time, but it doesn't change much in my life.

I started wetting the bed regularly again once I turned 50. I was a chronic bedwetter as a kid and throughout my teens. I saw the doctor about it and was refered to a urologist and the continence nurse. Well they couldn't pass it off this time with the old adage "Oh don't worry he'll grow out of it." The urologist did various tests which were inconclusive but the general feeling is it is caused by my enlarged prostate and some daibetic nerve damage, plus I have an unstable bladder which I am told is probably the cause of my bedwetting when younger and nowadays would have been diagnosed. I have got used to having to wear nappies again at night and take vesicare which helps a little but to be honest I just get on with life. My incontinence and nightly bedwetting is just a minor annoyance compared with what some people have to deal with. I am lucky to have a very supportive wife who isn't bothered by my wetting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:30 pm 

It sounds like you did something to the nerves in your back, possibly with some underlying problem you otherwise knew nothing about till the injury. It would not hold back telling your new doctor about it, and to what extent it is a priority to diagnose and fix. There are many causes of incontinence and partial incontinence and doctors are pretty well up on this. They are professionals and with the proportion of females in the medical profession now (and yes, including urologists who deal with prostate problems) we should be feeling more comfortable about sharing everything that concerns us medically.
Having said all that, we know there are some things that can be fixed, and others we just live with and carry on with our lives. After all incontinence is becoming more mainline stuff now, ever counted the number of ads on TV for various adult incontinence products?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:55 am 

Hi im new so if this is in the wrong place im so sorry.
not really even sure what to say except i have wet the bed recently. find it embarising.
im 20 and have recently been through some life stresses. thinking this maybe the cause.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:28 am 

Welcome to the group. I'm 34 and wet the bed. Also seemed to have been triggered by stress.

Were you a bedwetter growing up?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:47 pm 

i wet the bed untill i was around 4 but then was dry until 10 when i regressed wet the bed and had accidents. lasted until i was 13. then it was the occasional accident but havent had any problems for a fair few years.

till a month or so ago

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:22 pm 

Hi and welcome. I'm also a bedwetter (female, middle age). I started wetting again at age 25 after 11 years of being dry. I'm convinced that it's stress-related - both the stress and bedwetting have been ongoing. I also have daytime urge incon, which started one year prior to my bedwetting. I never had daytime accidents as a kid.

It wouldn't surprise me if your bedwetting is stress-related as well, but please see your doctor asap to make sure it's not caused by an illness. I hope you are able to get to a permanent dry period soon. Meanwhile, this forum is a group of friendly, knowledgeable and supportive people.

Wetters