www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:32 pm 

Hi all,
Thanks for the tips. It's indeed a battle in the long run. I'm wearing now high absorbent pads for men during the day and Seni optima plus during the night. This is diaper with a belt, which gives me the option to go to the toilet when I wake up in time and use it for two or three nights when still dry. I've tried many other products but I keep coming back to this solution. Over the diaper (at night) I wear a cotton brief and the Garywear Active (PU) brief. It gives me confidence and rest during the night. Regarding traveling you are right. You better be dry when you go through the scan. One time I was already traveling for many many hours and forgot to change the Tena pull-up brief. You could see clearly on the scanner the wet spot. The security officer was totally cool about it, but it was a signal for me not to be so sloppy anymore. This week I flew again and changed my pad before going through security. All fine. When I check in my luggage I put some diapers in my hand luggage such that I'm safe for at least three nights in case my suitcase gets lost. That happened already 9 times over the years. I'm surprised that I have already incontinence problems for over two years now. For me I'm still in the acceptance phase somehow. A few weeks ago I had a good conversation with the GP and she's helped me with the insurance and other little benefits. It made it for me more 'official' and a fact of life.
Cheers Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:33 am 

sociologygeek wrote:
Bob,

What do you use for protection? Me, i have tried every incontience product known to man, and then some... pads, guards, belted shields, pullups, and briefs.. and as many on the board know.. i struggled with the idea of wearing a full-blown brief.. but in my expereince, for men, it's the only real adequate protection, regardless of the level or type of incontinence, because for us the point of where urine leaves the body can vary from one minute to the next depending on whether "it" is up or down.. and pullps leave gaps at the legs.. guards buch up and lose their adhesiveness.. undergarment straps get twisted and chafe.. briefs are the only thing I wear nowdays and im comfortable with it. And yes, even with a taped brief on you can still use the toilet.. its a matter of eitehr finding a brief that has velcro tabs.. or one that is easy to pull up and down without untaping the tabs. The problem with pullups is most do not have adequate padding coverage..

I totally agree. I really like the look of the Depends Real Fit for men, but they are useless when I have surges. The best diaper, in my experience, has been Northshore Supreme Briefs. Sometimes it's worth the extra piece of mind wearing a brief especially if you plan on being in a place where there is no restroom nearby.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:39 pm 

vwaguyPDX wrote:
sociologygeek wrote:
Bob,

What do you use for protection? Me, i have tried every incontience product known to man, and then some... pads, guards, belted shields, pullups, and briefs.. and as many on the board know.. i struggled with the idea of wearing a full-blown brief.. but in my expereince, for men, it's the only real adequate protection, regardless of the level or type of incontinence, because for us the point of where urine leaves the body can vary from one minute to the next depending on whether "it" is up or down.. and pullps leave gaps at the legs.. guards buch up and lose their adhesiveness.. undergarment straps get twisted and chafe.. briefs are the only thing I wear nowdays and im comfortable with it. And yes, even with a taped brief on you can still use the toilet.. its a matter of eitehr finding a brief that has velcro tabs.. or one that is easy to pull up and down without untaping the tabs. The problem with pullups is most do not have adequate padding coverage..

I totally agree. I really like the look of the Depends Real Fit for men, but they are useless when I have surges. The best diaper, in my experience, has been Northshore Supreme Briefs. Sometimes it's worth the extra piece of mind wearing a brief especially if you plan on being in a place where there is no restroom nearby.

I can't second this much more. I too have quite literally tried everything (even WAY beyond just diapers). I found Northshore supreme work absolutely great. They are a little too stiff for my comfort though, so confidry 24/7 is my current favourite. I also like crinklz, but really, mostly, just for their superior absorbency and ability to work even with my side sleeping (betterdry just became available in the US as well). Well, I actually do like the prints too, but only after the fact of how well they work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:50 am 

That's kind of where I was with my continence when I went into diapers. I toilet trained quite late due to neurological issues so keeping control has always been a conscious and somewhat draining task. There are a lot of disadvantages to diapers, but at least I don't have to concentrate all the time any more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:12 am 

I agree about traveling, that you need to be a bit more careful here if you don't want to seriously be embarrassed in public. It never happened to me, but I wasn't exactly approaching this matter safely in the past as well, I'm pretty sure scanner has shown a lot of wet spots back when I was traveling much more. Especially on the long flights, which I had plenty of. I'm not traveling that much anymore, but I much more thinking ahead as of now. As I see that you can go even dry for days, then you are still in a pretty good spot! There is a lot of people that cannot last hours without going wet and you are able to manage it for days, but wearing protection is tricky. Once you start wearing it, it just gets much worse usually - because you feel much safer when you wear protections, so you subconsciously will tend to urinate more. You can't really impact it, that's how it works and I had many people who went back this road. I would recommend only wearing protection when you need it - work, social meetings etc. Try not do it at home, worst case you will change your sheet in the morning or you will have a little bit of cleaning to do, but you won't get into this "I'm safe" feeling.