Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:49 pm 

Attachment:
incont-buzzer-jpg.jpg
incont-buzzer-jpg.jpg [ 121.75 KiB | Viewed 3953 times ]
Home Made Incontinence Alarm

I bought four 9 volt battery boxes for $8.50. The cost of one was $2.13. (Amazon)
I bought two buzzers for $4.34. The cost of one was $2.17. (Ebay)
I bought ten male – female connectors with wires for $9.29. The cost of one was $0.93. (Amazon)
Total cost for one alarm was $5.23.

To make the sensor cut two pieces of cotton fabric 3 inches by 6 inches. On the male connector remove 2 1/2 inches of the insulation. Use a zig zag stitch and fasten each bare wire to one of the
piece of cotton fabric. If you do not have a sewing machine you can stitch it by hand.
The two wires should be about 3/4 inch apart. Sew the other piece of cotton fabric to the side the
sensor that dose not have the bare wires. Sewing the two long edges and the bottom edge. Then
turn the sensor so the wires are now inside.

If you do not have scraps of cotton fabric you can use pieces of old T-shirts.

To fasten the battery box to your diaper use masking tape leaving a flap that you can then pin to your diaper with a safety pin. Now place the sensor in your diaper (male in front, female in the bottom). Make sure the battery box is turned on.

I use some masking tape to secure the sensor to my diaper so it stays in place.

When you become incontinent the urine will complete the electrical circuit and the buzzer will wake you. You can then finish voiding in the bathroom. Since the sensor is now conductive you will need to use a dry one and also a dry diaper for the rest of the night.

You only need to make one battery box / buzzer. However you should make several sensors.

This simple alarm may save you from waking up in a wet bed.

If you have any questions or thoughts on how to improve this alarm, please let me know.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:38 am 

One thing I would recommend is to "cap" the ends of the wire going into the little cotton pockets so the wire doesn't unravel and poke through the cotton. I'm sure this would be pretty uncomfortable. You could dip it in some kind of waterproof glue, add a bit of heat shrink (or other) rubber tubing to the ends, or solder it closed at the ends if you have the ability to do so.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:31 pm 

On each of the wires I use my sewing machine with a zig-zag stitch. This holds the wire in place and with stitches on each side of the wire all the way to the end, prevents any fraying.