www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: letter to the VA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:30 am 
Admin

The VA can do business with any approved (and current) vendor registered in SAM’s. XP and dozens more are on the list. It sounds like you’re getting bad info.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:18 am 

Bill,

It is sounding more like they won't instead of can't. As Don said, they can do it. Plus, if it is in the MedSurg system it is easier for them to do. My stuff has to be shipped to the local VA and than they put their script labels on it before shipping it out to me. It is a round about process, but it works.

I believe it is time to call the patient advocate and talk to them. If that doesn't work, I would call the VA Crisis line and tell them what is going on and how it is impacting your life. I know they say it is for mental conditions, but I had a doc tell me once a Vet called because he couldn't drive to work because his glasses were broke and the VA couldn't see him for over 2 weeks. Well he got an appointment the next day and received his glasses shortly afterwards.

I know your frustrated, but remember you get more with honey than vinegar even if that honey is frozen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:33 am 

Yes, I am very frustrated. I’m also tired of having to deal with lies. I don’t think my local VA clinic primary care physician is aware of this as she is young and is trying to help me. Just a feeling I have. I believe this comes from my main VA Hospital pharmacy. I’m tired of fighting with them. I had to stop yesterday because of my memory loss/confusion. I have too many problems already.

I think I need to show them, for awhile, that I “tried” to make them (wings) work before I continue at this point. I did contact XP Medical, but have not heard back yet because of the holidays. I’m making too many mistakes on my computer and iPAD. I made a big mistake yesterday not knowing what I was doing. I think it’s getting time to hand everything over to my DW as I am giving her power of attorney. She is really worried about me. But, I have good days and bad. I guess sooner or later, I won’t know who I am anymore. Hopefully at lot later.

I will pursue this over time. Without the help of people on this forum, I would be left in the dark. I am truly thankful for all your help. Everybody’s.

Bill

I will let you know if I have any success with the VA. Or if I need more help from my brothers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:38 am 

XP Medical has been bought out by another company and is not run by Gary anymore. They are keeping the name. At this time they are unable to help me with my local VA. I will keep trying as I ordered from them ABE 4168 XP. They are sending me an invoice to give to the VA. They said they would look into helping out Veterans with the new owner.

If you have additional info please let me know.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:01 pm 
Admin

Dealing with the red tape from the VA is a real pain in the ass on a good day.

I dont remember what I had to go through to get my cloth diapers from Angelfluff.
I do remember that I had to go through my primary Dr to get a prescription for them, then I had to submit a letter stating why I needed them over the crappy wings that they send to people. I had to submit the letter along with a copy of their catalog and an order form of exactly what I wanted to order. I also told them that it was not a one time purchase and a similar order would be placed about once or twice a year. I also had to go through the patient advocate and get them on my side.
It was a lot easier going directly through the pharmacy office and not the ones at the normal window. The ones at the window have no idea what to do with an order for a better product thats not in their computer.

After I had all that approved (which took about 1 1/2 to 2 years) then the pharmacy office had to submit it to the pharmacy board to get their approval. The board only meets about 1-2 times a year so that was another long wait.
I can't remember if I had to go through once or twice of the board meeting. If they have any questions about your request then they might have to vote on it at their next meeting, thus delaying it longer.
Once it is approved then the va has to send a lot of paperwork to whoever you want to order from (like angelfluff for me) and have them fill out the many forms. That also took a while to get done.

I did talk to the pharmacy office and had them give me pointers on the entire process. Over time I got to know the office people real well and even to this day I can go in and say hi.

What im saying is it takes a long time to go through the process and if I had to do it again im sure that it would be harder now than when I did it over 15 years ago. But I would go through it all over again. Yes it took about 2 1/2 years of agony but im real glad that I did it. Now all I have to do is do an order form like I would be sending in the money myself, then take that form to the pharmacy office and they call in the credit card number. Angelfluff sends the diapers directly to my home.

Im sure that I have forgot some of the process that I went through but that is all that I remember.

Be prepared to go through your local congressman if the va keeps turning it down.
I had to go to my congressman to get some back-pay and the congressman had forms for just dealing with the va.
All I had to do was fill it out. So don't feel bad about asking for their help.

Good luck with the process and keep us informed.

Schoppy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:17 pm 

Latest update. I have found out that I am allergic to the the Wings/Sure Care diapers. My primary care physician wants me to keep wearing them and go by benedryl cream. She said those Molicare diapers mentioned previously in this segment is not in our VA pharmacy blah, blah, blah. She said there is nothing she could do. As far as them sliding down my butt when I walk, she wants to send me a smaller size....I quit. I need to find my advocate at this point.

As far as memory loss she wants me to go for testing 6 hours away at our main VA Medical Hospital. Assuming I don’t end up in California. You know prier to me going to the main hospital, I was able to go to local doctors and other testing here locally because I live more than 50 miles from my main VA hospital. Last year they stopped all that and now it’s 50 miles from my clinic which they have nothing.

I wish my wife’s health care would pay for the diapers. I’m gonna check if I can get these memory test done here with my wife’s health insurance.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:49 pm 

Another update: My advocate (located at the VA Hospital) wants me to do all the work and keep me going in circles. I’m now going to be in direct contact with the pharmacy. From there I go back to my primary care provider, which doesn’t seem to know what to do but now send me the older prescription which she knows doesn’t work.

I can easily see this is heading over to my Senators office. How many people must I contact and broadcast my problem to the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:49 pm 

I had testing done today and found out that I have dementia. So the VA won. And I stole my wife’s dream. Incontenence is the least of my worries now.

The VA pharmacy acknowledged that other VA locations do accept the diapers I want/work. Basically told me to take what they have or leave it. They will not make any acceptions period.

When I went in for testing today I watched them treat another Vietnam vet like a piece of sh_t. Gave him no respect. He walked out said he would never come back. Made me so angry I wanted to....#$&@#

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:55 am 
Admin

Billsd

Im sorry to hear about your diagnoses and will keep you in my prayers.

I can feel for you. Dealing with the va anymore is a royal pain in the ass.
There are way too many va hospitals that the dr's just don't care about what we went through and what we have to deal with on a daily bases Lots of them have never have to deal with a major problem them selves. They just can't relate, or care to.

I know that I was real lucky to live near one of the largest va hospitals in the state, that makes a big difference.
I also know that the va has had to crack down on the other options that they used to be able to do.
Like getting a better diaper that we need.

It sounds like you are following the necessary steps that are needed. Unfortunately, they keep turning you down.
It does sound like you might need to seek help with your congressman.
If you have dates and peoples names that you have dealt with and what they have said (or at least a readers digest of what you went through) you can turn that info into the congressman. I would be real surprised if the congressman doesn't already have a form that you fill out. Just tell them that what the va supplies doesn't work and why. Tell them what you would like to get and why they are a better diaper for dealing with your incontinence. You can probably be able to submit a printed letter along with the form.

I know that it is embarrassing to have to go through so many people and having to tell each of them all about it.
Just keep telling yourself that it will all be worth it in the long run. It just should be a lot easier than it is.

Schoppy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:37 pm 

Bill,

I know that is not what you wanted to hear about the results. Agree with Schoppy and start taking names and times. I know will be embarrassing to discuss this with other people, but you didn't choose this and the only way to combat it is to get as much information as you can and take it to your congressman. I am sure once all this is gather and presented some body is going to get a talking to as much as the VA has been in the limelight. You can always ask for another PCM also which may help. I have done it before and I am very pleased with my new doctor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next