www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Depend update
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:00 pm 

Did anyone else get the email about the changes coming to the Depend flex fit underwear? Apparently they are going from sizes S/M and L/XL to S/M, L and XL. I know Depend is not the best product out there but it works for a lot of other people just starting with their leaking issues.
S/M 26-34, L is 35-43 and XL is 44-64.

Post subject: Re: Depend update
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:10 pm 

Haven't received one yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:46 am 

Depends, and pull-ups in general, aren't the greatest for full incontinence but they DO have their place for lesser forms and certain situations . I'm happy to see that Depends realizes that two sizes don't fit all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:12 am 

I can make Depends work if I dehydrate.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 am 

There are a time when their Real Fit and underwear were my goto diaper but as my symptoms progressed, I was having to change about every 2-4 hours and that was getting expensive. Also as things progressed I was having more and more leaks so I had to reevaluate my needs.
I have always joked about it but there is a truth to it, Depend is the gateway product for incontinence protection.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:03 pm 

The Real Fit are what I currently use. They work great, but probably only because I have a "minor" leaking problem. However, can anyone tell me the difference between the Depend Real Fit and the Depend Flex Fit? To me, it looks like the absorbency area is the same, but the Flex Fit has a higher waist band. Is that the only difference? If so, how much higher is the waistband compared to the Real Fit. I was thinking about trying out a case of Flex Fit just to see if they fit better. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:35 pm 

urgeoab76 wrote:
The Real Fit are what I currently use. They work great, but probably only because I have a "minor" leaking problem. However, can anyone tell me the difference between the Depend Real Fit and the Depend Flex Fit? To me, it looks like the absorbency area is the same, but the Flex Fit has a higher waist band. Is that the only difference? If so, how much higher is the waistband compared to the Real Fit. I was thinking about trying out a case of Flex Fit just to see if they fit better. Thanks.

The “real fit” have a more underwear like appearance (different colors and colored waistbands) and to me they feel a bit softer. You are correct in that the waistband comes up a bit higher on the flex fit, but they feel a bit more “medical” if that makes sense. Also worth noting that the padding size is the same on both products despite the slightly higher waistband on the flex fit. Absorbency seems to be about the same in both products. Ultimately I feel like the real fit fits better for me personally. I tend to use them almost exclusively while I’m in the gym and I have close access to a bathroom and I’m sweating a lot of my fluid out. Also (slightly TMI) but I find they are more effective when my anatomy is pointed down into the middle of the brief. This seems to be where the majority of the absorbent material is located.

Hopefully that helps! Let me know if you have any other specific questions. Like many here, I started with depends when I started having incontinence problems and I think I’ve tried all of their products at one point or another. They are not amazing, but they have certainly come a long way from what they use to be and are getting better.

Best,

Dallas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:44 pm 

Dallasinc wrote:
urgeoab76 wrote:

The “real fit” have a more underwear like appearance (different colors and colored waistbands) and to me they feel a bit softer. You are correct in that the waistband comes up a bit higher on the flex fit, but they feel a bit more “medical” if that makes sense. Also worth noting that the padding size is the same on both products despite the slightly higher waistband on the flex fit. Absorbency seems to be about the same in both products. Ultimately I feel like the real fit fits better for me personally. I tend to use them almost exclusively while I’m in the gym and I have close access to a bathroom and I’m sweating a lot of my fluid out. Also (slightly TMI) but I find they are more effective when my anatomy is pointed down into the middle of the brief. This seems to be where the majority of the absorbent material is located.

Hopefully that helps! Let me know if you have any other specific questions. Like many here, I started with depends when I started having incontinence problems and I think I’ve tried all of their products at one point or another. They are not amazing, but they have certainly come a long way from what they use to be and are getting better.

Best,

Dallas

Dallasinc, I do the same thing, lol. I appreciate the info. on the Flex Fit. I was wondering about the difference. Just yesterday, I almost leaked out of my Depend Real Fit, close to the bottom/middle area of it, so I may have to buy a better brand of pull-on that a few have suggested, like the Northshore Go Supreme, Molicare Mobile, or Abena Abri-Flex. I might try the Northshore XL booster pad first, though. Had no idea there were so many items when it comes to adult incontinence products!

EDIT: You mentioned that they come in different colors. The website shows three different colors, but I've only managed to find the grey colored ones with the blackish waistband. Not that it matter, lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:40 pm 

Not only are there so many incontinence products, their manufacturers continually change them, in ways that range from inconsequential to major changes in absorbency and fit, all of which make it necessary to keep up, to make experimentation a policy rather than an occasional purchase. Over time this experimentation builds up an inventory of products that either did not suit or that were superseded.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:14 pm 

urgeoab76 wrote:
Dallasinc wrote:
urgeoab76 wrote:

Best,

Dallas

Dallasinc, I do the same thing, lol. I appreciate the info. on the Flex Fit. I was wondering about the difference. Just yesterday, I almost leaked out of my Depend Real Fit, close to the bottom/middle area of it, so I may have to buy a better brand of pull-on that a few have suggested, like the Northshore Go Supreme, Molicare Mobile, or Abena Abri-Flex. I might try the Northshore XL booster pad first, though. Had no idea there were so many items when it comes to adult incontinence products!

EDIT: You mentioned that they come in different colors. The website shows three different colors, but I've only managed to find the grey colored ones with the blackish waistband. Not that it matter, lol.

Hey urgeoab76,

Yeah, unfortunately the depend products do have their limitations. As I mentioned, I typically only utilize them when I have ready access to a close bathroom (and even then it’s a gamble) typically while exercising. I haven’t found a brief (diaper) that is comfortable for working out in. I imagine a breathable brief would work best due to excess heat but I am still searching for a good one. Back to the depends and alternatives, I have personally used the Molicare mobile and the Abena Abriflex. I remember both fitting and absorbing well. I know there’s one that I slightly preferred over the other one (believe it was the Molicares) but they are both great so I’d recommend either one. As per placing a large booster in the depends, allow me to issue a caution. Because the depends do not have internal standing leak guards, and the padding is pretty narrow (especially between the legs) the large booster pads don’t really fit. The boosters are actually longer and wider than the depend (go figure lol) which leads to a very poor fit (at least in my case with the medium depend pull-ups). This diminished fit will actually lead to bad skin to product contact and increase the chances of the product leaking. I had to find this out the hard way so I wanted to give you all the details to avoid my mistake. That being said, your mileage may vary. If you’ll indulge me and allow me to give you some unsolicited advice, it may be more beneficial for you (in cost and product performance) to simply go with the Molicares or Abenas instead of trying the booster + depend combo. Just something to consider!

As per the different colors, I have only seen the blue+black+grey real fits in certain packages. I think it’s like the 12 pack or something because I seem to remember getting 4 of each color. I’m not sure if you can get all the colors in larger packs, but honestly as I’m usually the only one to see them, I don’t worry about color coordination much :lol: Patrick’s advice above mine is absolutely correct! Unfortunately, searching for the right product for you personally is often a lot of trial and error and it can be ever evolving for a number of reasons. I wish you the best of luck! Feel free to keep us posted on what you find out. I hope you have an awesome Saturday/rest of the weekend.

Best,

Dallas