www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One handed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:53 pm 

Well, I did a number on my left hand and wrist and it will be pretty much immobile for the next 6-8 weeks. Does anybody have any tips of how to handle this independently?

Post subject: Re: One handed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:57 pm 

Are you left handed or right handed? Do you have access to family or paid assistance? I can understand how difficult this promises to become for you. Are there any medical social worker units at local hospitals who could assist you? Good luck and report back when you can.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:03 am 

You might want to try a premium pull-up like Abena Abri-Flex or Molicare Mobile with a cotton granny panty to help keep them in place. They aren't nearly as good as a premium tape-up diaper but at least you won't have to deal with the tapes. When I do use a pull-up I often add a male guard pad which after a void or two can be easily removed and replaced. But one thing to note, don't remove all of the adhesive strip cover because the pad will not be able to be removed without damaging the diaper. I actually do remove about the top one inch just to hold the pad in place and that seems to work well for me, but without both hands I would leave the whole strip covered.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:58 am 

Thanks for the support and suggestions. I was able to get a home health aide. I am left handed and although over time I am sure I can adapt, obviously with FI time isn’t something I have a lot of. It is extremely humbling, embarrassing, I’m not sure what the right word is.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:24 pm 

I was glad to read that you do indeed have home health assistance. If you can develop a reliable bowel schedule, life should get much easier.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:13 pm 

I think it is like you said, Patrick, just getting a routine again and communication. She has a different style and I understand that but I don’t enjoy the help but also accept that I need it.