www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:37 am 

Time to vent again

Some eighteen months ago my ENT physician told me that my thyroid was going hyper on me and would need to be dealt with sooner or later. In the intervening months his prediction came true. As time went on, I became more and more agitated; the slightest annoyance demanded fight or flight, life or death, so I dropped out of this site for fear that I might respond in ways that would get me banished, for good reason. On Monday, June 18, I had the right side of my thyroid removed, which has given me blessed relief from the constant Don Knotts style panic. I look like the actor from the second scene of a slasher flick. I also have gastroparesis, (my GI system is paralyzed) and a hyper thyroid causes loss of bowel control, not to add that the loss of bowel control is common among folks whose GI systems are paralyzed. On the night following my surgery, under heavy sedation and with multiple IVs, my colon erupted, my hospital diapers doing what hospital diapers do, nothing. I was smeared from knees to navel, and had to be cleaned and my bedding replaced three times. The staff were more than kind, but I am glad to be home, wearing heavy reliable protection. And I am glad to resume my participation here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:26 pm 

Patrick - I had become concerned by your absence, and I'm happy to hear from you, and that you're feeling better. I'm sorry that you've had a rough go of it. Will they take the remainder of your thyroid at some point as well?

W.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:43 pm 

Wetters,

Thank you for your kind words. However, I'm in a peculiar place. Somehow, my wife (honest, I do love her, dearly) got my hospitalization onto Facebook, despite our lengthy discussions about the need for privacy. So now get-well goodies baskets, with food that could actually kill me if I ate it, are arriving from friends and neighbors. I do not know how to manage this. Lie and thank everybody for the wonderful food they sent me, and how I dearly love it? Be honest and tell them more than they want or need to know? They see my diapers drying on the line in good weather, so my incontinence cannot be a secret.

On the incontinence front, my GI system is slowly mending; the pain is decreasing, although my neck still looks as though somebody tried and failed to strangle me.

Again, thank you for your concern. I hope the spate of fires in Colorado have not affected you or anything you own.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:13 pm 

Wow Patrick! What an intense time you've had. I'm glad that you are seeing some positive results from your thyroid surgery. Those things can sure cause a lot of trouble. I don't have advice on how to handle the food with friends and neighbors but I wanted to wish you a speedy recovery.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:46 pm 

Great to have you back, Patrick!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:57 am 

Glad you are back, Patrick!

--John

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:58 am 

Thanks everyone for your kind replies. There is always the possibility that I could need to have the rest of my thyroid removed someday. I hope not; this has been exasperating enough.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:20 pm 

I would simply send a handwritten note to each person who sent you a present, thanking them for their thoughtfulness.

W.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:27 pm 

Wetters,

Your wisdom is just the support I need today. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:32 am 
Admin

Hi Patrick. I had a total thyroidectomy on May 31st. I had severe hyperthyroidism. My TSH was 0.015. I have a history of thyroid disease with alternating bits of hypo/hyperthyroid followed by remission for a bit. Then the cycle continues. I understand about the mood issues. I was seeing my psychiatrist every couple weeks and thought about presenting to the ER for mental health crisis many times. This didn’t happen. But it was awful. I thought I was losing my mind. The thyroid controls so much. It is what drives your metabolism and controls hormones so your cells all over your body can function. Since I had mine totally removed, I take Synthroid every morning and have to get blood tests every 6-8 weeks....forever. Often times, with half a thyroid, your body will continue to function normally but you’ll have less lability. I lost two of my parathyroids and was dependent on calcium supplements. I finished my calcium and hopefully my last two parathyroids took over. I was told it takes at least a month for the levels and body to adjust. I had labs drawn last week and my TSH was like 26. So I’m hypothyroid while they try to adjust my meds. My body hurts and I’m lethargic. My autonomic dysfunction which makes me incontinent also complicated my anesthesia. They couldn’t wake me and when they did I was in hypertensive crisis. I also sympathize on your incontinence in the hospital. Due to my complications, they made me stay. I spent the night and my wife stayed with me. She is a cardiac nurse. I had a lot of pain and couldn’t turn my head. I was in a naval hospital and didn’t want the nurses changing me. My wife took care of me. Although the calcium blocked my GI system so I didn’t have any bowel events. I brought my Abena’s with me. And my own wipes. My ENT gave me Tylenol because I can’t take anything with codeine. So most pain meds are out. So I had to suffer through it. Due to the calcium deficiency with supplements, I suffered from constipation. She gave me a stool softener. I’m already incontinent from nerve damage to my GI tract so something to give me diarrhea didn’t help me. I went through a lot of diapers. But I was able to change myself once the stool softener kicked in. Thank goodness. I didn’t want my wife doing that for me. I am a very private person and my surgery didn’t end up on Facebook. I asked my family not to. Only close family and a couple friends knew. Like you, there is a lot I can’t eat without becoming ill. I was tested for gastroparesis by Mayo Clinic and thankfully I didn’t have it. Although I do get the nausea, GI distress, occasional vomiting, and I also have trouble swallowing certain foods/textures. Plus I’m completely bowel incontinent. Thyroid disease can be rough. Hopefully yours will level out and give you some normalcy. Since mine has been removed, my moods have stabilized. I feel better. Btw...when people ask about my scar on my neck...I just tell them “You should see the other guy”. Also my son called me Frankenstein. I’m good with it. It beats being sick all the time. Good luck to you! Hopefully, you get to keep your other half.