www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:11 pm 

Do Chlorophyll Tablets help reduce smell from bowel accidents? I know Chlorophyll is a active ingredient of Nullo, Unfortunately Nullo is expensive to buy in England but i have found something that contains Chlorophyll. Do you or have you taken it and what effect did it have on smells? Do people around you know when you've had a accident? How much does it reduce the smell?

Do you have any other tips on how to keep my bowel accidents as discreet as possible either with diet or other things. What food should I avoid. If its possible I would like bowel movements in the morning. How can I get my body to form positive habits and avoid accidents in public? How do you manage with you bowel incontinence?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:35 pm 

I use nullo and it does it's job but don't expect it to not smell at all
To completely avoid it I use plastic pants which help prevent any smell from spreading
I'm not sure if Chlorophyll tablets have that effect but you could definitely find out online

The best way to avoid smell is change as fast as possible because no matter what you do at one point the smell can spread so changing as soon as you can is the best

You could speak to the appropriate doctor and see if there is a way to modify your diet so you can avoid a random bowel accident but from personal experience I haven't been able to do that or even predict roughly when I might go
But you might be different so definitely explore the option

There are also other ways to deal with bowel accidents like enema's but speak to your doctor about those
JDinVirginia has a lot of knowledge on this maybe he can tell you too

Of coarse sometimes it is unavoidable
Last week I got back home with my family
We took a flight home and this flight was relatively long and I had an accident not long after we took off
Due to my condition I didn't know if I did have an accident or not until my caregiver who was next to me got a small smell and we got the feeling that some other people got it too
Luckily this was an international flight and it had slightly larger handicap bathrooms and with great difficulty I got changed by my caregiver
Sometimes you don't have a choice but to endure it until you get a chance to change even in public situations

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:57 am 

Depending on your body's chemistry, Nullo tablets can eliminate virtually all odor but only in the highest recommended doses. The downside is that in the higher doses increased constipation is a side-effect. I have done this quite successfully for foreign travel and cruises but do not continue those doses when at home.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:32 am 

I think much depends on your body chemistry and diet. If you live in the UK, you might consider asking a continence nurse, who should know what product(s) is/are available which would function the same as Nullo. Combined with a high-quality diaper and plastic pants, I have found that Nullo works well.