www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sneezing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:19 am 

An energetic sneeze awakened me at some weird time last night. It was enough to make me fill my diaper. The clean-up, a familiar chore, was easy, and I went back to sleep. Now that I'm awake and working, I realize how important wearing adequate protection is. How folks managed before this protection was widely available is a mystery to me.

Post subject: Re: sneezing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:39 pm 

That's always on my mind. When my day and night urinary issues presented in my mid-20s (mid-1970s), I managed (poorly) with sanitary napkins. The "Depends" product was introduced in 1984 when I was 33 years old, and it was the first of its kind. At the time, Depend was so aggressively marketed to the 60+ crowd who had enjoyed an active lifestyle, but had suddenly become home bound as a result of urinary incontinence. I never for even a fleeting moment considered that the product could be useful for me. I never thought about adult cloth diapers until I joined this forum, but if I had, I likely would have assumed that they were available only for hospital and nursing home patients who weren't ambulatory.

I started having occasional fecal accidents about 5 years ago. Had that started in the early days, it would have been an obvious nightmare.

W.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:57 pm 

We tend to forget that we are fortunate to have the current state of technology for diapers and other absorbent products. Imagine how severely incontinence would affect your ability to work in the 1940's or 1950's. Trying to work in a normal office would have been nearly impossible with cloth diapers.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:51 pm 

Amen John, and as I like to say, "I appreciate my diapers."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:20 pm 

I agree with you all diapers are great in times past life must have been so much more difficult. I am so grateful for the modern engineering that goes into diapers these days.