www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Accidents while asleep
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:51 pm 

I know we just had a thread on this but, I wanted to a get a thread moving on here, it's been a ghost town as of late, and this recently happened so I'm trying to wake up the board a little. So with further ado, So waking up messy isn't the strangest thing for me, as Fecal Incontinent it's happened before, but not consistently. So anyone else who may deal with similarities, how common is messing while asleep for you? For me, this is definitely something that happens under 10x a year, and is usually triggered by something I ate that just couldn't wait until I was awake. Just wanted to get a feel for this and of course get a thread going :-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:53 pm 

I'm sorry you experienced this. I can't contribute much to the fecal incontinence topics since I don't experience that. I can only show my support and sympathies for a truly awful condition.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:55 pm 

PB&J32 wrote:
I'm sorry you experienced this. I can't contribute much to the fecal incontinence topics since I don't experience that. I can only show my support and sympathies for a truly awful condition.

Ah well, yeah, lemme tell you bowel accidents, NO FUN. But yeah it's a not fun thing to have but you adapt. Like anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:00 am 

Hi Hotdogg,

Sorry to read about your nighttime fecal accident, but I know that you will not let that get you down. For most of us, bowel activity slows during sleep, reducing the likelihood of a bowel accident during the night. However, for some folk that is just not the case. If you combine that with loose stools and a weakened sphincter, night accidents become much more frequent. That is a rough way to have to start a new day. :(

--John

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:31 am 

As mentioned elsewhere, my fecal accidents are directly related to my paralyzed GI system. When a nighttime fecal accident occurs, it is nearly always caused by a colon blockage, with diarrhea seeping around it and leaking out. The blockage can be painful, or merely annoying; I never know. However, it always causes some leakage. The abdominal numbness makes me paranoid: every little twitch makes me wonder if an accident is about to happen. I do not know how folks managed this before adult diapers were invented.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:50 pm 

Patrick wrote:
As mentioned elsewhere, my fecal accidents are directly related to my paralyzed GI system. When a nighttime fecal accident occurs, it is nearly always caused by a colon blockage, with diarrhea seeping around it and leaking out. The blockage can be painful, or merely annoying; I never know. However, it always causes some leakage. The abdominal numbness makes me paranoid: every little twitch makes me wonder if an accident is about to happen. I do not know how folks managed this before adult diapers were invented.

I almost never get loose stool but what bothers me most is that I don't get woken up for the accident, makes the clean up in the morning harder and this happens nearly every night..... My accidents are pretty large in general so it's not easy......I don't usually have leaks, before I used the dry 24/7 I would sometimes have a urine leak but now with a boosted confidry my nights are leak free.

Last edited by miahere on Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:06 pm 

Amazingly this doesn't happen to me. I always wake up right as it's about to happen. About 90% of the time I can make it to the bathroom too. The other 10% I just get up, clean up, and change. Though by then, going back to sleep usually doesn't happen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:40 pm 

HotDogg55 wrote:
I know we just had a thread on this but, I wanted to a get a thread moving on here, it's been a ghost town as of late, and this recently happened so I'm trying to wake up the board a little. So with further ado, So waking up messy isn't the strangest thing for me, as Fecal Incontinent it's happened before, but not consistently. So anyone else who may deal with similarities, how common is messing while asleep for you? For me, this is definitely something that happens under 10x a year, and is usually triggered by something I ate that just couldn't wait until I was awake. Just wanted to get a feel for this and of course get a thread going :-)

I already mentioned but i get a bowel accident every night.... It's worse the days there might be a dinner out so I have to try not to eat too much or stuff myself. It's pretty frustrating when it comes to the morning clean up....It can get quite depressing especially when I'll still be having accidents the rest of the day..... There are very rare instances where I'll go through the night without having a bowel accident, which is like the best day for me cause I only have to deal with the wettings.

As I said earlier worst part is that I don't seem to be woken up for it, so I have to wear plastic pants if I am to avoid the smell....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:18 pm 

My heart goes out to you. Bowel accidents, even when they happen rarely, are still the pits. When they happen daily, and during sleep, the situation must be far worse. Have you tried Nullo? Although it was invented originally for hunters who wanted to diminish their scent so deer and other game animals would not be spooked, it works for folks whose incontinence needs to be managed. I take 1/2 tablet with each meal, and, although it does not eliminate all odor, it greatly diminishes it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:25 pm 

Patrick wrote:
My heart goes out to you. Bowel accidents, even when they happen rarely, are still the pits. When they happen daily, and during sleep, the situation must be far worse. Have you tried Nullo? Although it was invented originally for hunters who wanted to diminish their scent so deer and other game animals would not be spooked, it works for folks whose incontinence needs to be managed. I take 1/2 tablet with each meal, and, although it does not eliminate all odor, it greatly diminishes it.

Nullo works okay but I don't really use it much, the plastic pants gets rid of the smell all together but after some time maybe a smell can escape. Anyway most of the time I'm wearing plastic pants. Sometimes when I'm home during the day I don't wear plastic pants cause I can change immediately. But for the night and day I always wear plastic pants.