www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:32 am 

Hey,...
Just this morning after I cleaned up and changed and got ready to get out of the house when I had a bowel accident, and I went back in to clean up and have another change and just before I opened the door I had another large accident.
This has happened to me before but now it's happening more often, I've been having this episode nearly every month. Last year I just had two accidents like this and this year I'm having it more. Just wondering if anyone has experienced something like this. The doctors say there's nothing medically wrong and it's just because of how my bowels are anyway unpredictable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:15 pm 

Mia,

You are not alone in this. I have had it happen, although infrequently. I doubt that there is anything medically wrong and would not be concerned, although you might mention it to your doctor at your next regular appointment.

Digestion is a complex process and is affected by diet, exercise, personal chemistry, time between meals, and even stress. Also, all foods do not move through the colon at the same rate. Some foods are moved more quickly and even can be moved past others already in the colon. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I could comment on this.

--John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:45 pm 

Actually because I've been experiencing this more than often I have mentioned it to my doctor and I did have some tests and examinations done for some other matters and he says that it's unlikely a serious medical problem and I haven't anything new going on inside so they say I'm fine. Last year it only happened twice but since last year December every month I've had that happen........ i mean the confidry can handle it but it fills up so much and the clean up takes time. Luckily I was home but if I'm outside it's so bad. Last year it happened while I was on the bus home and I had to wait till I got to the stop and awkwardly walk home in a ridiculously filled diaper. It really grossed me out to be honest :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:13 pm 
Admin

Yes Mia. I'm with you on that it is very gross. I made the mistake of eating a fast food burger before going to our local zoo about a month ago. I made it to the park, stepped out of my car, and filled my diaper to what seemed to be max capacity. For a 24/7, that's pretty upsetting. I was wearing my Gary PUL cover and some managed to leak out into the cover but it got trapped. There was a bathroom at the front of the zoo and another one toward the back. The one up front was full of kids on a field trip so I elected to use the one at the back. So needless to say, I had to walk what felt like the whole zoo in a full diaper. It was disgusting. I was so thankful to reach the other restroom. At that point, I was grateful to get clean and put on a fresh diaper. After that, the rest of the day went well. As far as the disgusting factor, The bladder incontinence I experience isn't near as bad to deal with as my bowel issues. I totally sympathize.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:14 pm 

I'm sorry that you leaked don,
The last time I had such a server bowel accident that it leaked was last year. And unfortunately it happened while I was sleeping. There wasn't a huge problem because I was wearing plastic pants but it was beyond words, that whole week I had several accidents within a short period of time. Eventually it calmed down but I just hate it when it acts up more than usual -.-
It really makes you sick of everything.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:01 pm 
Admin

Have you thought about keeping a food diary? See if there is any correlation between your increased gastric distress and your diet? Maybe there is a certain food you're eating that could be causing increased distress that is more outside the norm. For me, it is foods with increased spice or greasy foods. If I eat these, I know to expect issues very shortly and I better have spare diapers and wipes! I take my backpack full of supplies whenever I go out for extended periods. Short trips are ok, but anything more than say a couple hours and I'll bring all my "stuff".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:50 pm 

Week I usually eat pretty healthy, but I think it's more about how much I eat, I swim quite a lot so therefore burn a lot. Maybe that's the case? I don't know. Also when I was younger I had less accidents, it was only one time in my childhood that my frequency was even more than now because I was still recovering and my body was still not used to anything..... But I don't think my accidents could increase more than this, other than the occasional increase 4 bowel accidents is the norm for me, and I have always had a bowel accident during my sleep, that has never changed...... Unfortunately.......

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:32 pm 

The only thing regular about my BM accidents is that I know I will have 3 to 6 bm's everyday unless I'm fasting. I'm convinced that it's mostly related to food intake. I also put most of the blame on the amount of Metamucil I use. In the beginning, after the surgery I had constant loose stool. It was unbearable. After much complaining to the doctor (who said things would gradually get better - ha! It's been 20 plus years.) So they recommended a bulk producing fiber supplement. I experimented with Metamucil and found that 3 to 4 large doses everyday keep my stool well formed and semi-firm. The only problem was the increased frequency and volume. It did nothing to help with severe urgency. It's hard to predict when an accident will happen. I've had 2 accidents within an hour and sometimes go several hours without having one. I never know. After all this time I've learned to accept it. The multiple event situations are hard because my BM's are so big because of the Metamucil. Still, I'd rather deal with this than loose stool.